ISU Scrimmage

gobillsgo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, almaman said:
Illinois state is ranked higher than us in Kenpom and has an experienced team who almost made the tournament as a top 2 team in MVC.

and Malik Yarbrough

Well, okay.  But ISU lost 5 of their top 6 scorers from last season. They did add Malik and another JUCO who is good, but they really aren't an experienced TEAM.  They are similar to us in that they have almost a lot of new and inexperienced players.  Top 144 (which is only a random list) has them at 142, and 4th in the Valley.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this event.  [My first knee jerk reaction was wow, we only beat these guys by 6!  I have since calmed down. ]  Sometimes there are 'staged' scenarios to work on specific issues in these closed sessions.  For the most part, they aren't 40 minute games. 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

see.... this is what our beat writer is for.... i want a full write up citing unnamed sources 

That is one odd thing about these scrimmages, no media is allowed. Typically some info is leaked so to say to someone in the media, so hopefully we at least get something over the next few days.

56 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Don’t know if it’s relavent to the media thread but after the mizzou game you can find all the stats up immediately by their respective twitter accounts and box scores online. Nothing for the SLU game 

Interesting, thanks for the info. Based on that, it is a little frustrating that we aren't seeing a full box score.

33 minutes ago, thetorch said:

ISU and SLU agreed to not divulge details of the scrimmage.  We will get no info.

Yeah, I saw someone tweeted at Roby yesterday and asked how "the game" went.  Roby's response was to the effect of "what game?"  

So they're keeping stuff under wraps it would seem. 

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

If I remember correctly when these type scrimmages started that was always the agreement but information almost always leaked out.

Not always. Some schools will tweet out a recap too.  But ya its mainly leaked

A scrimmage is practice.  The score is totally meaningless.  Hopefully  it was a controlled scrimmage so that it could be stopped for teaching moments. You don't play anyone 30 minutes, you try different combinations,  etc.

By the way, next Summer would be a great time for a foreign trip with the squad SLU is expected to have.   Extra practice, extra games.  It has been awhile.  Seems the NCAA allows a trip about every 4 years?