SLU Volleyball

billikenfan05

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So?  Equal treatment for all Women's teams.

Is it disappointing? Sure. It's also a sport dominated by east coast schools. We play in an east coast league, it's tough. I barely know the rules of field hockey and I sure as sh*t don't understand the ins and outs of college field hockey. I've gone to matches and supported them. They play 25 minutes from campus without traffic. They don't charge admission. I'm not sure they can afford a good coach so they take chances on very young up and coming assistants.  

The best coach they had now owns Gateway Field Hockey Club.

Maria Whitehead was head coach prior to 25, left to be a Duke asst. before passing from Brain Cancer.

Lauren Bruce was only 4 years out of New Hampshire when she took over.

Marcie Boyer was in the same boat.

Fuok, Danielle Baumgartner took over the program as her first coaching job ANYWHERE.

Hayley Rausch was only 3 years removed from college when she was named coach after Lauren Bruce was fired.

We're either the first step or the last step for coaches.

We've all seen that there's a very high ceiling for what Volleyball can accomplish here. Field hockey has only ever been average in it's history and dreadful in the past 30 years.

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So?  Equal treatment for all Women's teams.  Women's tennis and Women's cross country are in full season now.  Where is your report on them?

I would argue that the volleyball team is the fourth most high profile team in the athletic department, volleyball has no facilities disadvantage and it has been shown that you can succeed here.  The volleyball team should be held to a much higher standard than the other programs you mentioned.

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would argue that the volleyball team is the fourth most high profile team in the athletic department, volleyball has no facilities disadvantage and it has been shown that you can succeed here.  The volleyball team should be held to a much higher standard than the other programs you mentioned.

Volleyball is also a full ride sport, one of only 4 at SLU. Both basketballs and women’s tennis are the only other ones. Those teams don’t have an inherent private school recruiting disadvantage of the equivalency scholarship sports like soccer and baseball. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

So?  Equal treatment for all Women's teams.  Women's tennis and Women's cross country are in full season now.  Where is your report on them?

We spend probably 90% of the posts on this board talking about the men's basketball program.  I don't see you questioning why we aren't giving men's sports equal treatment or why we aren't giving all sports equal treatment.  Fact is that people are interested in different sports and there is nothing wrong with that.  05 cares about volleyball so he posts about that and he can do whatever he wants on here as long as he's following the board guidelines.

Your post has a whiff of sexism in that you seem annoyed that 05 is posting about women's volleyball and are attacking him for it by using the straw man argument that if he is going to post about volleyball he needs to post about all women's sports.

cchaps and rgbilliken like this

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

We spend probably 90% of the posts on this board talking about the men's basketball program.  I don't see you questioning why we aren't giving men's sports equal treatment or why we aren't giving all sports equal treatment.  Fact is that people are interested in different sports and there is nothing wrong with that.  05 cares about volleyball so he posts about that and he can do whatever he wants on here as long as he's following the board guidelines.

Your post has a whiff of sexism in that you seem annoyed that 05 is posting about women's volleyball and are attacking him for it by using the straw man argument that if he is going to post about volleyball he needs to post about all women's sports.

It comes off more as defensive of Kent Miller and his staff and he’s pointing out that field hockey is worse. The difference of course is in expectations. Volleyball is better funded, has full scholarships, plays on campus in a largely crap conference and still can only manage to be mediocre in said crap conference. Kent Miller is the 3rd longest tenured coach on staff I believe after Halliburton and Hendrickson(don’t quote me). He took over an incredibly successful program and ran it into the ground. Danielle Baumgartner took over a program that plays 25 min off campus, isn’t fully scholar-shipped or has a full time assistant and is 6 feet under ground and is trying to raise it from the dead. That’s your difference @HoosierPal

46 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It comes off more as defensive of Kent Miller and his staff and he’s pointing out that field hockey is worse. The difference of course is in expectations. Volleyball is better funded, has full scholarships, plays on campus in a largely crap conference and still can only manage to be mediocre in said crap conference. Kent Miller is the 3rd longest tenured coach on staff I believe after Halliburton and Hendrickson(don’t quote me). He took over an incredibly successful program and ran it into the ground. Danielle Baumgartner took over a program that plays 25 min off campus, isn’t fully scholar-shipped or has a full time assistant and is 6 feet under ground and is trying to raise it from the dead. That’s your difference @HoosierPal

Megan Kress of the Lady Harriers....solid this year.  17:44 5K is very good, and 21:51 6K shows potential for faster times in the conference or national meets. 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Okay? 

I am reporting some positive news in what is otherwise a fairly negative thread on SLU Women's sports. 

Megan has been clicking off sub 5:45 miles.  I doubt if very many MBM's, if any - including this one, can run one 5:45 mile, let alone string three together.  BTW, Megan is a fellow Hoosier, and I believe the 17:44 is her PR.  (Looking for her to break that mark this weekend at the NCAA Pre-National meet at Rose Hulman, Terre Haute.)

Do you know what the school record is for Women 5K XCC?  Courses vary, but schools keep track of those records.  

54 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I am reporting some positive news in what is otherwise a fairly negative thread on SLU Women's sports. 

Megan has been clicking off sub 5:45 miles.  I doubt if very many MBM's, if any - including this one, can run one 5:45 mile, let alone string three together.  BTW, Megan is a fellow Hoosier, and I believe the 17:44 is her PR.  (Looking for her to break that mark this weekend at the NCAA Pre-National meet at Rose Hulman, Terre Haute.)

Do you know what the school record is for Women 5K XCC?  Courses vary, but schools keep track of those records.  

Not a clue. If you prefer sunshine and rainbows the womens soccer team is doing really well.

34 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

5K record Hilary Orf  17:48 2010 A10 Championship. 6K record Hilary Orf 20:17 2010 NCAA Regional.

18 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

Megan Kress 17:44  at the Woody Greeno/Jay Dirksen Invitational looks like a new school record for that event.

Thanks.  That 6K record is pretty awesome.  That's 5:27 miles.

Typically there is one overall record.  Yeah, you can also have course records too but then you underline the fastest time of them all.  So maybe, Hoosier Megan is the new school Record Holder for 5K?

There you go @billikenfan05.  You can take this thread back to the dark side.

9 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Volleyball is also a full ride sport, one of only 4 at SLU. Both basketballs and women’s tennis are the only other ones. Those teams don’t have an inherent private school recruiting disadvantage of the equivalency scholarship sports like soccer and baseball. 

+1

And St Louis has some very, very good club/high school volleyball. Rockwood Thunder (girls volleyball’s equivalent of the St Louis Eagles) was just ranked top 10 in the country.  And local Catholic schools are sending top players to top programs. 

State Champion St Joseph Academy sent their graduating setter to Top 5 program Penn State 2 years ago as well as 6 others to D1 these past 2 years including the Freshman Libero at SEMO which beat SLU at home this year. Visitation has 2 Seniors this year going D1. Ursuline sent their outside hitter last year to Ole Miss and Lafayette has been winning State Championships while sending its girls to top D1 schools.  Purdue, Louisville, Mizzou are only a few of the schools St Louis girls have gone to in recent years. In short, St Louis is a hotbed for youth volleyball. Keeping a few at home seems like an easy task - but not for Kent Miller. Sad

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks.  That 6K record is pretty awesome.  That's 5:27 miles.

Typically there is one overall record.  Yeah, you can also have course records too but then you underline the fastest time of them all.  So maybe, Hoosier Megan is the new school Record Holder for 5K?

There you go @billikenfan05.  You can take this thread back to the dark side.

It’s not a negative or dark view. It’s reality. 

17 hours ago, Speyburn said:

5K record Hilary Orf  17:48 2010 A10 Championship. 6K record Hilary Orf 20:17 2010 NCAA Regional.

Speyburn, I asked Kunderman about the Billiken Women's records.  Hilary was a pretty amazing runner!  Megan has a shot at moving up the list in ten days at Terre Haute, a fast course.  I'm guessing they will run the 6K loop.  The site has four different courses.

Hilary Orf is the school-record holder, 17:08 in 2011.

For individuals though, Kress' 17:44 would rank her sixth.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Speyburn, I asked Kunderman about the Billiken Women's records.  Hilary was a pretty amazing runner!  Megan has a shot at moving up the list in ten days at Terre Haute, a fast course.

Hilary Orf is the school-record holder, 17:08 in 2011.

For individuals though, Kress' 17:44 would rank her sixth.

You could start a XC/T&F thread.

Pistol, slufan13 and Box and Won like this

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the recent updates on Women's Soccer and Field Hockey, I wondered why our resident critic hadn't updated the board on Women's Volleyball.  So I went over to the SluBillikens.com site and looked up their status.

The Women VB Bills have won EIGHT STRAIGHT MATCHES,  and are now 14-8 overall and 8-1 in conference.  And we were being told they were a disaster.

Moving over to the A10 website the team is currently in 3rd place behind 9-0 Dayton and 8-1 VCU.  The Women play a rematch at Dayton this Friday, which looking at the records, will be a very difficult match.  Dayton came into Chaifetz in Sept and swept 25-18, 25-19 and 26-24.  They play VCU here in mid-November.  In addition they have three matches with teams that are .500 or below.  A 11-3 conference record, or better, seems to be realistic.  That's pretty good in my book.

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Reading the recent updates on Women's Soccer and Field Hockey, I wondered why our resident critic hadn't updated the board on Women's Volleyball.  So I went over to the SluBillikens.com site and looked up their status.

The Women VB Bills have won EIGHT STRAIGHT MATCHES,  and are now 14-8 overall and 8-1 in conference.  And we were being told they were a disaster.

Moving over to the A10 website the team is currently in 3rd place behind 9-0 Dayton and 8-1 VCU.  The Women play a rematch at Dayton this Friday, which looking at the records, will be a very difficult match.  Dayton came into Chaifetz in Sept and swept 25-18, 25-19 and 26-24.  They play VCU here in mid-November.  In addition they have three matches with teams that are .500 or below.  A 11-3 conference record, or better, seems to be realistic.  That's pretty good in my book.

Your cursory analysis of this team is exactly how Kent Miller keeps his job while fielding less than average teams. Did you watch the Mason match? 

53 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sorry, but I don't care for your book then.   Beating bad teams does not make you good.   Our team/program was Top 10 in the nation only a few years ago.   Home losses to SEMO...

59 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

2018: 8-20

2017: 13-15

2016: 18-14

Not exactly world beaters. The team used to be awesome. 

My numbers may be off here because I had to work this from scratch because this sort of stuff isn't readily available. I also don't have the time to run through the individual websitses again.

vs opponents with winning records

3-8

of those losses to winning record teams 2 of them are under 500 in their conference, Drake and Marshall

of those wins one was against Troy which by record is their best win however they play in a bad sun belt conference(similar to the A-10)

2 of those 8 wins are in conference to a George Washington team that still has a chance to end up with a losing record in conference and overall.

vs opponents with losing records

11-0

of these games it took 5 sets to beat Rhode Island, Fordham and George Mason. Those three teams have 2 wins among them in conference. They were 2 points from losing to a winless-in-conference George Mason Friday night.

On top of all of this Kent Miller has absolutely no personality, has pretty much driven away all of the big time alumni from the Anne Kordes era. He has 1 win against the top 25 in 8 years. He has a .509 record as billiken head coach prior to this season which falls below his two predecessors.