Home - Home with Butler

ACE

One point to make. I believe Ford commented about how difficult it was to schedule games at Chaifetz given the level of usage it has for multiple kinds of functions. It is possible that opting for 2 tournaments makes life much easier than trying to schedule additional non conference games, at least the home games.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nevada has confirmed they are in the Las Vegas Classic.  So at least Alloco was correct on that team.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/03/28/who-packs-2017-18-basketball-schedule/99732506/

After reading that article, I have to admit the possibility is much higher in my mind that we are playing two tourneys. The home games were Dec 17 and 19 with the neutral sight games being Dec 22 and 23. The article was written on March 31 and the opponents weren't known then but the South Florida e-mail was from mid April.

I hope it's not true quite frankly. I'd rather have 4 buy games then play in a tourney with 2 buy games and 2 neutral court games against South Florida and either Nevada or Southern Illinois. 

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

One point to make. I believe Ford commented about how difficult it was to schedule games at Chaifetz given the level of usage it has for multiple kinds of functions. It is possible that opting for 2 tournaments makes life much easier than trying to schedule additional non conference games, at least the home games.

This is fuoking crazy. Didn't we build Chaifetz because scheduling was difficult at scottrade?

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

After reading that article, I have to admit the possibility is much higher in my mind that we are playing two tourneys. The home games were Dec 17 and 19 with the neutral sight games being Dec 22 and 23. The article was written on March 31 and the opponents weren't known then but the South Florida e-mail was from mid April.

I hope it's not true quite frankly. I'd rather have 4 buy games then play in a tourney with 2 buy games and 2 neutral court games against South Florida and either Nevada or Southern Illinois. 

This USF is San Francisco.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

OK so the reason we built the Fetz was to have more options for scheduling than we had at Scott Trade so that is not true - is that what you are saying?  I understand that the arena is busy but I really wonder if the mens basketball team is having to play second fiddle.  We never heard RM say this and he was quick to complain about everything so I really wonder just exactly what Ford said - anybody?

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This USF is San Francisco.

Even worse but makes sense as SIU/SLU and USF/Nevada are travel buddies for the two buy teams that will come as part of this tourney. We must have been having a real hard time getting games to accept this tourney.

That being said, I don't put much stock into Old Guy's argument that other events at the Chaifetz are causing a significant issue.

I remember Ford making the claim oldguy is referring to. It didn't make much sense to me at the time. Don't most campus arenas host concerts and other events? Is Chaifetz really that much busier than the average venue? Compared to OK State, I guess it might be.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

OK so the reason we built the Fetz was to have more options for scheduling than we had at Scott Trade so that is not true - is that what you are saying?  I understand that the arena is busy but I really wonder if the mens basketball team is having to play second fiddle.  We never heard RM say this and he was quick to complain about everything so I really wonder just exactly what Ford said - anybody?

Went to two different websites for the Fetz Schedule.  Here is all that is listed.

Saturday
May 06, 2017
7:30PM
1st St. Louis Black Rodeo  

Sunday
May 14, 2017
7:30PM
Mothers Day Music Festival: Anthony Hamilton, Joe, Tamar Braxton & Raheem Devaughn  

Saturday
Oct 21, 2017
8:00PM
Janet Jackson  

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Even worse but makes sense as SIU/SLU and USF/Nevada are travel buddies for the two buy teams that will come as part of this tourney. We must have been having a real hard time getting games to accept this tourney.

That being said, I don't put much stock into Old Guy's argument that other events at the Chaifetz are causing a significant issue.

On the bright side, San Francisco appears to be a LOT better than South Florida. San Francisco had 20 wins and an rpi at 100 and reportedly return most of their best players. While South Florida was horrible last year, rpi of 317, and they lose their top scorer who is transferring and reportedly their most improved player (Santos).  I just hope we don't have to play Methdale twice during the season if they are part of this tourney. Playing San Francisco and Nevada would be pretty good.

18 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I am not a big fan of the two tournament schedule.  It is going to cost us at least one home game and it most likely means that at least 75% of the OOC home games are buy level games.  It sucks when you have to write the check for season tickets.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am not a big fan of the two tournament schedule.  It is going to cost us at least one home game and it most likely means that at least 75% of the OOC home games are buy level games.  It sucks when you have to write the check for season tickets.

This is true but writing the check this year will be a whole lot better than the last two years simply because I expect to hear Sweet Caroline a whole lot more.

44 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Sarcasm, correct?

No. I know we beat Butler before but different teams now that have more to prove. 

On another note, does SLU get money from the concerts at Chaifetz? If so that is a great way to make money and makes sense why they might get priority over our team

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

No. I know we beat Butler before but different teams now that have more to prove. 

On another note, does SLU get money from the concerts at Chaifetz? If so that is a great way to make money and makes sense why they might get priority over our team

They should never take priority. NEVER EVER.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They should never take priority. NEVER EVER.

I highly doubt they ever take priority. 

I know the schedule might not seem robust right now, but I do remember back when the 'Fetz first opened I had a cousin who worked in facilities management at the Scottrade and he noted that the 'Fetz was an immediate drain on STC's revenue stream, so I bet it is busier that we believe. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

No Knights Inn in Vegas. Excalibur is the only thing remotely close.

Found one. Edited my post above. You should have known to look for a Knights Inn before recommending a different Luxury Hotel to Billiken fans. Shame on you.

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Found one. Edited my post above. You should have known to look for a Knights Inn before recommending a different Luxury Hotel to Billiken fans. Shame on you.

LOL ok, so KI's one Las Vegas, Nevada property is so bad that a search of "Knights Inn Las Vegas" directs you first to the palatial Knights Inn of Las Vegas, New Mexico. Wow. It makes Excalibur look like the Wynn.

14 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I highly doubt they ever take priority. 

I know the schedule might not seem robust right now, but I do remember back when the 'Fetz first opened I had a cousin who worked in facilities management at the Scottrade and he noted that the 'Fetz was an immediate drain on STC's revenue stream, so I bet it is busier that we believe. 

Wasn't Chaifetz #1 busiest in the world or something like that for arenas of its size?