Luis Santos Commits to SLU

Ibruce

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There's 60,000 SLU alums in St. Louis. How many Mizzou alums?

I don't know. I doubt you know how many SLU alums there are either but thanks for the number out of nowhere. My intuition tells me that the state university that has a 30,000+ enrollment has a decent size alumni base in the state's biggest metro area. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There's 60,000 SLU alums in St. Louis. How many Mizzou alums?

Still living? I see 10x more Mizzou gear worn around town than SLU gear. I know literally dozens if not hundreds of people who went to Mizzou, but only a handful that went to SLU. 

1 minute ago, juniorbill76 said:

The discrepancy in gear and rooting interest is likely due in part to the larger number of St. Louis area families who are sending or have sent students to MU vs. SLU.

I'm not putting down SLU here, but it is a private University, so it's obviously more exclusive both academically and economically. 

22 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

The discrepancy in gear and rooting interest is likely due in part to the larger number of St. Louis area families who are sending or have sent students to MU vs. SLU.

I would think the lack of gear has more to do with no football team at SLU (the biggest reason) and chains buying in bulk for stores across the state. 

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

I don't know. I doubt you know how many SLU alums there are either but thanks for the number out of nowhere. My intuition tells me that the state university that has a 30,000+ enrollment has a decent size alumni base in the state's biggest metro area. 

42 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

SLU alumni in St. Louis: 52,000

Missouri living alumni in St. Louis: 63,123

https://www.slu.edu/Documents/SLU_Profile.pdf

http://missouri.edu/about/mufacts/

IMG_9415.GIF

point JMM

14 hours ago, MUTGR said:

Does this mean Ford ran of the local kid who was a good student? Congrats. I thought you guys were above this. 

Good grief what a worthless BS post.  I thought you were being picked on, I see now that I was wrong and I apologize to the SLU fans that I thought were not being fair when they called you out.  No one on this board ever said SLU was above that, it happened under coach Majerus.  Also there have been many posts wanting coach Ford to do this with the scholarships.  Why can't you just enjoy the resurgence of the MU basketball program?

Just now, STL Hoops Insider said:

Actually people were bashing Cuonzo for losing higher GPA kids to avoid APR penalties, so MUTGR just see the hypocrisy of the same posters not lashing out about the Gillman situation.

Hold up. The Gillman situation???

Gillman is a few credits away from graduating on his own and scored all of 10 points last year. He very clearly saw that there was no value in him coming back next year and chose to leave. I doubt Ford made any effort to keep him, but I also doubt he was shoved out the door since him not coming back doesn't really improve the scholarship situation (we still need his scholly for 2018). 

Comparing that situation to the one in Columbia where APR issues make it the case that Mizzou can only afford to cut the good students, while keeping the crappy students, if there is a need for scholarships because players like Tilmon and Knox come on board is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Actually people were bashing Cuonzo for losing higher GPA kids to avoid APR penalties, so MUTGR just see the hypocrisy of the same posters not lashing out about the Gillman situation.

Only it's pretty obvious Gillman was not let go due to his GPA. Unlike with another program, no "insiders" or reporters had ever suggested that Ford was motivated by the same factor. Austin wasn't getting playing time or contributing, and chose to leave as a result. Just because he was also by most accounts a good student does not mean that was why he was let go! Is this really difficult to understand? Gillman was probably not going to be a Billiken next year regardless of his academic achievement. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Cuonzo "losing" them...haha. That's rich. 

As subsequent posters have highlighted, the situations are hardly comparable.  But hey, keep up the mizzou cheerleading. 

12 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If anyone can handle basketball and grades, it's Gillman. We know what's going on and it truly is okay. Scholarships should always be performance based.

Gilman decided on his own to quit basketball.  He wasn't told at any point his scholarship wasn't going to be renewed.

23 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If anyone can handle basketball and grades, it's Gillman. We know what's going on and it truly is okay. Scholarships should always be performance based.

And the source of your information is?  If you say Maurice Scott, well, don't even bother.

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

That is weak insider MUTGR made a worthless BS post to start trouble not to have a discussion.  I like reading your opinion because it comes from a coach with a different perspective.

I think Gillmann's decision to quit the team fitted his needs best. Being active in a basketball team takes a lot of time in practice and travelling to games. He is close to graduation and has nothing to gain by investing all that time for the purpose of sitting on a bench wherever they go play. It makes more sense for him to concentrate on his academics. He made the right decision, he chose what was best for him. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

It makes no sense that Ford would have encouraged Gillmann to quit the team.  SLU needs Gillmann's scholarship for 2018 so him leaving doesn't really benefit them at all.

Now, maybe SLU gets a grad transfer or something to fill that spot for 1 year, but there is no rumors about getting such a player at all so I'm very inclined to think Gillmann left on his own accord.

11 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good grief what a worthless BS post.  I thought you were being picked on, I see now that I was wrong and I apologize to the SLU fans that I thought were not being fair when they called you out.  No one on this board ever said SLU was above that, it happened under coach Majerus.  Also there have been many posts wanting coach Ford to do this with the scholarships.  Why can't you just enjoy the resurgence of the MU basketball program?

I am. You seem easily rattled. Don't take things personally.