Voters could bring the MLS to St. Louis April 4th

bk18

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Of course the size of the City's boundaries are their doing but you asked why St. Charles was bigger and I simply pointed out that the size was the reason and never said anything about how or why the size was the difference.  I have no doubt that the City could support more people - why is it not? - well people want larger houses and the City never did build up with high rises as they did in NY or Chicago.  Will the City grow - probably but it will never hit the 1 million # anytime soon.  Without going down another rabbit hole, there are lots of things that have to happen in the region before we see the growth other areas have seen such as Indy.

Aren't there large houses in the City? People could start tearing smaller houses down and building larger houses. They are doing that in West County.

People also want safety and good public schools.

Something the City doesn't offer. That St. Charles does offer people.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Yes the city paid (and is still paying) for the dome, and when the Rams decided they needed something vastly bigger and flashier than what they had, the city just could not entice them to stay here with the measly amount of money they were planning to spend. So after getting the city to spend millions of additional dollars in preliminary work and architectural design of a new stadium the Rams just walked away. This is reality not fiction.

Oh, and the owner of the Rams is deeply connected to the Walton (Walmart) fortune which means he has access not to millions but to billions. This SOB gave us a real raw deal and then walked out and left a big bill in our hands. I mean a big bill for the city, not for him. The Kennedy's used to do that trick of walking and not footing the tab in their heyday too, and people were so overcome by having them around that they would pay the tab and feel privileged about it. Who plays the sucker role in these events, well obviously the one left with a hefty bill and little to show for it. The eternal schlemil and schlemazl interplay.

Something like this happens once to a city and is shame on the perpetrator, some like this happens twice to a city and it is shame on the city. Just saying.

Actually, it is the State that is on the hook.  The City really has nothing to do with the Dome.

1 minute ago, Tilkowsky said:

Aren't there large houses in the City? People could start tearing smaller houses down and building larger houses. They are doing that in West County.

You are missing the point - the land size will always allow St. Charles to be bigger.  Also, think about it - if you start tearing down smaller houses to put up a larger one the City would only get smaller in population.  I get where you are coming from and I am sorry you have such a skewed view of the region.  I did say that there were lots of things that would have to happen before the City would grow at the rate you posted but it will take the region to address these not the City on its own.  

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Actually, it is the State that is on the hook.  The City really has nothing to do with the Dome.

I believe this is false. 

"Right now the State pays $12 million a year, the City of St Louis $6 million, and St Louis County $6 Million to pay off the bonds sold to build and maintain the dome. The bond pay off is over a 30 year period. $129 million is still owed in bond payments that won't be paid off till the year 2021."

12 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Grew up in hoosierville, the area you are drooling over. Went to SLU. Never going back west again. I don't know how anyone can stand it out there.  Place is boring af

10 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Grew up in hoosierville, the area you are drooling over. Went to SLU. Never going back west again. I don't know how anyone can stand it out there.  Place is boring af

Saint louis is voting on if they want to grow the city or not. An MLS team in stl will help SLU so Alumni should want this to happen. 

7 hours ago, slufanskip said:

That's cool that he took the time to do that. Does he have any connection anyone knows of?

Probably just is friends with some kids from his U-17 residency days. He tweets fairly regularly with Logan Panchot, from STL. 

43 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You are missing the point - the land size will always allow St. Charles to be bigger.  Also, think about it - if you start tearing down smaller houses to put up a larger one the City would only get smaller in population.  I get where you are coming from and I am sorry you have such a skewed view of the region.  I did say that there were lots of things that would have to happen before the City would grow at the rate you posted but it will take the region to address these not the City on its own.  

If the City cracked down on the amount of crime and vastly upgraded the City schools that would be all you would need to do.

Only the City can do those two things.

31 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I know. Safe neighborhoods and really good public schools are so boring.

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Funny.  Not sure how old you are but I assume we are at different stages in our lives   See, I lived in the city for many years and then moved out west to HoosierVille right before the birth of my second child.   I loved my time in the city and my oldest still talks about living downtown. However it didn't come without fear.  

Now my wife, myself and soon to be three kids live within 10 minutes of their grandparents, kids go to a great school, we belong to a great church, we have made great friends, I get to run all the beautiful trails, we have plenty of really good restaurants and plenty of places to go out for drinks.  All while not living outside of our means in an overpriced house that is too small for us.   

Oh, and Sunday night I was playing hoops at 11:30 PM with a former big league pitcher who happens to live in St. Charles County at his indoor basketball court while hammered.  Boring AF. 

How about we stop ripping on where people live?  

I still own my property downtown and if I lived there I would vote yes for the MLS   

24 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

Funny.  Not sure how old you are but I assume we are at different stages in our lives   See, I lived in the city for many years and then moved out west to HoosierVille right before the birth of my second child.   I loved my time in the city and my oldest still talks about living downtown. However it didn't come without fear.  

Now my wife, myself and soon to be three kids live within 10 minutes of their grandparents, kids go to a great school, we belong to a great church, we have made great friends, I get to run all the beautiful trails, we have plenty of really good restaurants and plenty of places to go out for drinks.  All while not living outside of our means in an overpriced house that is too small for us.   

Oh, and Sunday night I was playing hoops at 11:30 PM with a former big league pitcher who happens to live in St. Charles County at his indoor basketball court while hammered.  Boring AF. 

I still own my property downtown and if I lived there I would vote yes for the MLS   

Tell Carp wassup

24 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

Agreed. I always love the people that say "(this city) sucks can't wait to leave." I've lived enough to know that the few times they actually leave said area, their problems remain exactly the same, almost like it's their problem or something. 

it sounds like the life you're living in west county isn't much different than the one in leading in Peoria. And I doubt it would be much different if you dropped either of us into any other suburban area. Life is what you make of it where you make it. 

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

Agreed. I always love the people that say "(this city) sucks can't wait to leave." I've lived enough to know that the few times they actually leave said area, their problems remain exactly the same, almost like it's their problem or something. 

it sounds like the life you're living in west county isn't much different than the one in leading in Peoria. And I doubt it would be much different if you dropped either of us into any other suburban area. Life is what you make of it where you make it. 

Exactly  

1 hour ago, DirtyRican said:

Cool

14 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

None of that describes Saint Louis

Agreed. Safe neighborhoods and good schools describe St. Charles County.

Not the City. 

The City should strive for both because they have neither.

MLS won't change the lack of both for the City.

27 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Agreed. Safe neighborhoods and good schools describe St. Charles County.

Not the City. 

The City should strive for both because they have neither.

MLS won't change the lack of both for the City.

The city actually has some safe neighborhoods and some good schools.  It's a big place.

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

The city actually has some safe neighborhoods and some good schools.  It's a big place.

True. Overall not as safe as St. Charles County. 

In the city you have neighborhoods who are paying out of pocket for additional security.

That probably doesn't happen as often in St. Charles County.

16 hours ago, bonwich said:

I believe this is false. 

"Right now the State pays $12 million a year, the City of St Louis $6 million, and St Louis County $6 Million to pay off the bonds sold to build and maintain the dome. The bond pay off is over a 30 year period. $129 million is still owed in bond payments that won't be paid off till the year 2021."

Thanks for informing me but what I thought the money from the City and the  County is from a car rental and hotel surtax - correct?  The State actually pays out of the general fund - Yes/No?

15 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

If the City cracked down on the amount of crime and vastly upgraded the City schools that would be all you would need to do.

Only the City can do those two things.

Actually, the entire region suffers or thrives if the City does well so I completely disagree that nobody has any interest in this area.