Voters could bring the MLS to St. Louis April 4th

bk18

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

If Major League franchises are so important to people (instead of good schools and public safety) why don't more people live in the City instead of St. Charles?

Size of the area is the answer to that question.  St. Charles County is many times larger than the City boundaries.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I don't know why this concept is so hard for many people to grasp.

First focus on making St. Louis a place that attracts and retains residents, then worry about the sports.

This is a chicken or the egg issue.  Brian, Nashville has the country music scene - without that it would not be where it is.  Austin has UT and has attracted several high tech companies because the university.  Portland has its own thing going - great extreme sports and a "Portlandia" vibe.  

4 hours ago, bonwich said:

Just call it a "handling fee" and everyone who's ever been to a concert won't think twice about it. ;)

except for those of us who remember days before handling and service charges, which will guarantee thinking about it every friggin' time and maybe asking "why not just have a ticket price that includes all cost" like before. I'm sure most didn't think much about it before but most assumed the cost included handling and service.

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

He tee'd himself up for somebody!

I'm confused what you mean? People are leaving the midwest and going to the Coasts. Texas has 5 of the largest growing cities. Saint Louis is growing and a way to keep people staying and coming here is to bring an MLS team

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2016/cb16-81.html

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I'm confused what you mean? People are leaving the midwest and going to the Coasts. Texas has 5 of the largest growing cities. Saint Louis is growing and a way to keep people staying and coming here is to bring an MLS team

if X Y and Z aren't keeping you in STL an MLS team sure as hell ain't either 

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

That was part of the joke

don't live in Jeffco anymore but my point stands that st chas is a hoosierpalooza

ok, thanks for that tidbit.  I moved to St. Charles after spending 8 years downtown.  I am a hoosier. 

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This stuff about major league franchises attracting people is BS.  Nashville's population doubled before any major league teams moved there.  Austin's metro population has more than doubled over the last 20 years with no major league teams.  Portland's metro population grew by nearly 50% in 25 years prior to the Timbers with only Trail Blazers as a major league team.

Over the last 50 years the St Louis Metro area has only grown 15% total.

People don't move to where major league teams are.  Major league teams move to where big numbers of people are moving.

I wasn't really insinuating people were moving due to sports. Just noting that St. Charles has the advantage of having the major metropolitan entertainment options that St. Louis provides. Without St. Louis they don't have those or any of the other major city benefits. And I highly doubt without those their growth would be the same.

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I would submit that Cortex and the Danforth Center will keep more people staying and coming here than any football team ever did or would. 

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So, did you just change your mind? The words "sports," "football" and "soccer" appear nowhere in the article about growth in startups. 

Ironically, however, the word "sports" does appear in a reference to another article at the bottom of the page:

"State and local governments aren’t the only ones that spend public dollars to build private sports stadiums — the federal government does, too. And it’s every bit as bad an idea as it sounds, according to new research from Ted Gayer, Austin J. Drukker and Alexander K. Gold of the Brookings Institution."

1 minute ago, bonwich said:

So, did you just change your mind? The words "sports," "football" and "soccer" appear nowhere in the article about growth in startups. 

Ironically, however, the word "sports" does appear in a reference to another article at the bottom of the page:

"State and local governments aren’t the only ones that spend public dollars to build private sports stadiums — the federal government does, too. And it’s every bit as bad an idea as it sounds, according to new research from Ted Gayer, Austin J. Drukker and Alexander K. Gold of the Brookings Institution."

https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2015/04/09/orlando-city’s-first-quarter-mls-delivers-worldwide-exposure-and-drives-economy-city

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Size of the area is the answer to that question.  St. Charles County is many times larger than the City boundaries.

First off that is the fault of the City correct? They are the ones who limited their boundaries.

Brian Ogilvie who is on the BOA says the City has an infrastructure that used to support a million people. Currently the City has has about 300,000 living there. Why?

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I wasn't really insinuating people were moving due to sports. Just noting that St. Charles has the advantage of having the major metropolitan entertainment options that St. Louis provides. Without St. Louis they don't have those or any of the other major city benefits. And I highly doubt without those their growth would be the same.

Think of St. Charles as a larger version of Round Rock Texas. No pro sports there.

Never answered why people have left the City to go to St. Charles, even though St. Charles has NEVER had a Major League sports team?

44 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Stl is growing. Want to keep people coming and not leave for the coasts or Texas, bring a new team in

Both St Louis City and St. Louis county lost residents at some of the highest rates in the country according to numbers the Census Bureau released just a few days ago.  

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Both St Louis City and St. Louis county lost residents at some of the highest rates in the country according to numbers the Census Bureau released just a few days ago.  

So MLS could bring people to live in St. Louis when the NFL couldn't?

15 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

First off that is the fault of the City correct? They are the ones who limited their boundaries.

Brian Ogilvie who is on the BOA says the City has an infrastructure that used to support a million people. Currently the City has has about 300,000 living there. Why?

Who is brian ogilvie?

12 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Think of St. Charles as a larger version of Round Rock Texas. No pro sports there.

Never answered why people have left the City to go to St. Charles, even though St. Charles has NEVER had a Major League sports team?

St. Charles is a suburb of St. Louis. St. Charles does have major league sports teams. The Cardinals and the Blues. This is like claiming Dallas doesn't have a major league baseball team.