GDT Billikens step on the Spy-Das for seventh conference win

CBFan

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Adonys Henriquez  basically put up Roby's numbers in a conference only slightly better than this one on a team that had a slightly better record than this one. Graves's high point total as a college player (15) came in a loss to Nichols State.  Jermaine Bishop, who some on this board consider an afterthought, scored 27 against Alabama.  Even the optimists among us only expect Bess to be a better finishing version of Ash Yacoubou.  Foreman put up Reggie-like numbers on the worst team in the Big 10.  We're adding a ferocious rebounding 4 who shot 38% from the line in AAU.  Our star freshman will be the worst free throw shootier and possibly the worst  3 point shooter at the point guard position.

All of our incoming players have holes in their games.

Congratulations on your bravery, 3star.  If I had posted this analysis, I would have been roasted and toasted.  Shouldn't you be using raw emotion rather than facts and statistics in your comments? 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Congratulations on your bravery, 3star.  If I had posted this analysis, I would have been roasted and toasted.  Shouldn't you be using raw emotion rather than facts and statistics in your comments? 

Um, in context, you would have been just roasted.  To be toasted is a good thing, in this context.

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Adonys Henriquez  basically put up Roby's numbers in a conference only slightly better than this one on a team that had a slightly better record than this one. Graves's high point total as a college player (15) came in a loss to Nichols State.  Jermaine Bishop, who some on this board consider an afterthought, scored 27 against Alabama.  Even the optimists among us only expect Bess to be a better finishing version of Ash Yacoubou.  Foreman put up Reggie-like numbers on the worst team in the Big 10.  We're adding a ferocious rebounding 4 who shot 38% from the line in AAU.  Our star freshman will be the worst free throw shootier and possibly the worst  3 point shooter at the point guard position.

All of our incoming players have holes in their games.  What makes me optimistic is we're adding so many of them.  In the past, when our two best offensive players had off nights, there was no way for us to win that game.  Now we have enough offense to pull out some of those games.  And we've upgraded our rebounding to the point where I expect very few blowouts next year.

Good post. These are my primary concerns as well.  That is why I hope Roy is right in his assessment of Goodwin and the other newcomers. 

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

All of our incoming players have holes in their games.  What makes me optimistic is we're adding so many of them.  In the past, when our two best offensive players had off nights, there was no way for us to win that game.  Now we have enough offense to pull out some of those games.  And we've upgraded our rebounding to the point where I expect very few blowouts next year.

The A-10 has had a history of guys who didn't produce much in better leagues, but become all conference players when transferring down a notch to the A-10: Cavanaugh, BJ Johnson and Sibert. I'm hoping Bess and/or Foreman fall into that category. I'm not sure really what to expect of Graves since there is not much of a track record there. My hope is that Henriquez, after sitting out a year and playing for a new coach in hopefully a system that fits him can go from 10 ppg to around 15 ppg. In a way I view him as sort of replacing Crawford - who was supposed to be our 3-point shooter. Due to injury or whatever, he has been terrible from that range this year. A lot of "if's" heading into next year, but a lot to look forward to.

Someone said in this thread that if the season started today that we would be a middle-of-the-pack A-10 team.  That's probably close, if just a bit optimistic.  Assuming that as the starting point, we only lose an injured Mike Crawford and a marginal 4/5 man.  Both of those seniors were very inconsistent all year, and as good of person as MC was, his senior year was disappointing. We are adding a shooter that TF calls one of the best he has seen in college.  We are adding 2 (HF and DF) for sure and more likely 4 (also JG and Bess) as guys who can rebound better than anyone on our current team.  We are getting back our starting PG, who was our leading scorer and FT shooter and adding Graves and Goodwin to the 1/2 position.

I think that all adds up to a top 3 finish in the A-10 and a likely NCAA bid at best, or a top 5, A-10 finish and NIT bid at worst.  I don't think any other A-10 team adds anywhere close to what we are adding, while at the same time losing any less than we are losing.  This, to me, is the important thing to remember.  The fact that we will be improved is as obvious as the Pope being Catholic.  What is necessary is that we improve relative to the competition and I think we have made big strides there.

Our biggest enemy might be significant injuries to a key player(s) or a lack of cohesion in the new players.

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I respect your opinion and views 3star, you have a much greater degree of knowledge about basketball than I will ever have. That said, I have a question for you if you please. Is there anything like a basketball player that has absolutely no holes in his game, particularly if you are considering freshmen. I suppose there may be a few of these perfect creatures available each year, but I also think that the chances for SLU to land one of these gifted players is extremely small..

I like the way in which you qualified your last paragraph, yes we have a lot of new additions to the team each one with some claim to specific kinds of talent. We need to see how well they gel together, but certainly we can replace players having a night off in some game with someone else and retain a good chance to win the game. I am an optimist, of course you know that, and I choose to believe we will do a lot better next year than we did this season. 

49 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Is there anything like a basketball player that has absolutely no holes in his game, particularly if you are considering freshmen.

the ball kid that plays for ucla seems to be pretty close to this definition.   at least the few times I have stayed up late to watch him it seemed like that.  

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Someone said in this thread that if the season started today that we would be a middle-of-the-pack A-10 team.  That's probably close, if just a bit optimistic.  Assuming that as the starting point, we only lose an injured Mike Crawford and a marginal 4/5 man.  Both of those seniors were very inconsistent all year, and as good of person as MC was, his senior year was disappointing. We are adding a shooter that TF calls one of the best he has seen in college.  We are adding 2 (HF and DF) for sure and more likely 4 (also JG and Bess) as guys who can rebound better than anyone on our current team.  We are getting back our starting PG, who was our leading scorer and FT shooter and adding Graves and Goodwin to the 1/2 position.

I think that all adds up to a top 3 finish in the A-10 and a likely NCAA bid at best, or a top 5, A-10 finish and NIT bid at worst.  I don't think any other A-10 team adds anywhere close to what we are adding, while at the same time losing any less than we are losing.  This, to me, is the important thing to remember.  The fact that we will be improved is as obvious as the Pope being Catholic.  What is necessary is that we improve relative to the competition and I think we have made big strides there.

Our biggest enemy might be significant injuries to a key player(s) or a lack of cohesion in the new players.

I actually said middle of the road or just below

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, it's almost like a couple of you have posted crap that causes the rest of us to take you less seriously than others...

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

I respect your opinion and views 3star, you have a much greater degree of knowledge about basketball than I will ever have. That said, I have a question for you if you please. Is there anything like a basketball player that has absolutely no holes in his game, particularly if you are considering freshmen.

While there are no perfect players, there are players, even at the A-10 level, without glaring weaknesses.  Kevin Lisch, even as a freshman, didn't have any glaring weaknesses.  Neither did Kwamain Mitchell.  But they were not physically dominant players so they could only carry a team so far.  Jordan Goodwin has the potential to  carry this team for long stretches by physically imposing his will. If he can consistently hit the jumper that defenses will give to him, he will be unguardable.  Until then, we have enough players who are good at enough things to carry us to the top half of the A10. 

The wildcard is Bess, IMO.  He excelled in limited minutes in Michigan State's nonconference schedule.  Michgan State simply had better options at his position later in the season, especially after he got injured.  Bess was actually a good perimeter shooter his senior year in high school.  But until he proves it at the college level, I'm hesitant to expect more than a better finishing Ash Yacoubou.  That would still be 13 ppg 6 rpg, type numbers.  Nothing to sneeze at.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I actually said middle of the road or just below

If we use just the trending model and take it back 6 weeks (12 games)...then start the season in that mode...it shows we finish 6th...with a 9-9  or 10-8 record....about another 3 or 4 wins.

Thank you 3star for your analysis. From my uneducated point of view, as far as the technical aspects of basketball go, I think that we are most likely to have a much improved team next year and I am happy about it. Appreciate your thoughts about Goodwin and Bess.