M-I-Z, O-U-T -- it's SLU & Illini battling for braggin' rights

majerus mojo

At this point, you'd think Mizzou should want to play us.  Program can't get much worse and they need to do anything they can to generate some interest/revenue. Since KU won't play them and Braggin Rights has gotten stale, a game vs. little brother is about the best they can do.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

From a recruiting stand, that would be too high of a risk regarding Watson

I guess, except that he'll likely already be committed somewhere by the time we even played (assuming a series was started next season). 

Mizzou fans have always said, "everything to lose, nothing to gain."  Not true anymore.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

They still have plenty to lose - if they lost to us then they would have really bottomed out not only in actuality but also in their own minds.  Nothing is worse than having to admit to oneself their failure.

Is it really worse than losing to Eastern Illinois?

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Recruits are not going to decide between signing with SLU or Mizzou based on who wins a game between the two.  Has anyone ever said they picked Marquette over Wisconsin because Marquette beat Wisconsin the season before?  

No, the result of one game has probably never been a deciding factor.  But I bet you for a lot of kids in this situation, the result can only help. 

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Worst B rated team, ever?

You could say that.

Grades are relative. One of the reasons I have grades is because you can't always tell how a team is by their record.  In this case , the SEC is an A-  league ...A  B- in this league makes Mizzou a bottom feeder.  While they may win a few games in conference overall they will have a bad conference record ( good chance to finish last) which will make them look horrible. It is the same thing in the B12.  This league in my opinion is the best conference in the country... A+....Yet if you are Texas  and have a nice B+ rating ...it doesn't help...you are the bottom feeder in that conference. Finally, you have the Illini ( B+ )  in the B10 an A league..which makes the Illini passable.

Generally, you need to be no more than 2 notches below the leagues average  to be passable ...Illini = 2 notches....vs unacceptable Mizzou and Tex both 3 notches down...3 notches = a full letter grade.

This is more of the same broad baseless generalizations with absolutely no reporting or research .,,

SLU successfully grabbed local recruits until Majerus?

Are you kidding me? SIUC dominated Soderberg locally pre-Majerus. Spoonhour and Romar couldn't get it done either, what superstar locals did they recruit?

Where's the reporting and reseach? Better yet where's the copy editor? Xmas vacation?

Surely the SLU grad food columnist will jump in and once again defend his colleagues on the paper. I love the rest of the paper, just not this barfly.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

This is more of the same broad baseless generalizations with absolutely no reporting or research .,,

SLU successfully grabbed local recruits until Majerus?

Are you kidding me? SIUC dominated Soderberg locally pre-Majerus. Spoonhour and Romar couldn't get it done either, what superstar locals did they recruit?

Where's the reporting and reseach? Better yet where's the copy editor? Xmas vacation?

Surely the SLU grad food columnist will jump in and once again defend his colleagues on the paper. I love the rest of the paper, just not this barfly.

Spoonhour - Larry the legend Hughes

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Huh? What? "Colleagues"? What year is this? (Who shot JR?)

Have I ever defended Jeff? (That's actually a real question, or at least much more real than the above.)

All the MU PD writers will continue to pump this stuff out until the day Anderson is fired. I can't blame them. They need a new coach in the worst way, or SLU will continue to require more and more of their attention 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-braggin-rights-ticket-no-longer-a-hot-item/article_9613868c-6824-5ff3-b363-9d3b039f430a.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter