M-I-Z, O-U-T -- it's SLU & Illini battling for braggin' rights

majerus mojo

Did anyone see the game?

The last 3 minutes SPUMAC chucked Brett Jolly type of 3 pointers, those were the ugliest shots I have ever seen.

Anderson's coaching was a mystery he had a player Giest that played hard and scored made things happen on the court.

Coach Anderson sat Giest down for a long time and I do not get that move and no wonder his team struggles to score.

I was hoping to see more from Jordan Barnett his box score was 15 minutes, 1-6 FG, 1-2 FT, and 2 rebounds.

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

All the MU PD writers will continue to pump this stuff out until the day Anderson is fired. I can't blame them. They need a new coach in the worst way, or SLU will continue to require more and more of their attention 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-braggin-rights-ticket-no-longer-a-hot-item/article_9613868c-6824-5ff3-b363-9d3b039f430a.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is the exact situation we were in a year ago with even fewer fans supporting Kim Anderson.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

We used to play there, so we should know this. Isn't it just over 22k?

Yes - game constantly had 21,700 plus for almost 20 years since 1994 when Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade/TD Ameritrade opened. Our high there was 22,539 against UNC in 2006, with KU trailing behind at 22,527 in 1998.

Granted Hochman and Fredricksen weren't there yet, I recall that most of the Post writers (Gordon, in particular) were highly supportive of the hire at the time.  Now they're on a mission to get him fired, which he should be at the end of this season.  3 years of backwards momentum is long enough.

5 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Granted Hochman and Fredricksen weren't there yet, I recall that most of the Post writers (Gordon, in particular) were highly supportive of the hire at the time.  Now they're on a mission to get him fired, which he should be at the end of this season.  3 years of backwards momentum is long enough.

In defense of Anderson - he was not told that the school was going on probation when he was hired, all the transfers left the roster weak, and he had the same problem as Crews - he was old school trying to make it in an environment that just doesn't exist anymore.  Missouri could have hired him 2 other times and passed - there was a reason.  The only reason he got hired  was that the AD was tired of listening to all the old boostesr calling for Anderson.  He gave them what they wanted basically because he was leaving anyway and figured it was somebody else's mess.  I actually think they will let Anderson stay one more year if he improves his record - they are in need of money - why do you think they hired the football guy they have - cheap and nobody of substance wanted the job.  This will be the same problem this year for basketball just like was last year for basketball.  They shopped the job and found that nobody wanted it and those who did were not of their liking.

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

In defense of Anderson - he was not told that the school was going on probation when he was hired, all the transfers left the roster weak, and he had the same problem as Crews - he was old school trying to make it in an environment that just doesn't exist anymore.  Missouri could have hired him 2 other times and passed - there was a reason.  The only reason he got hired  was that the AD was tired of listening to all the old boostesr calling for Anderson.  He gave them what they wanted basically because he was leaving anyway and figured it was somebody else's mess.  I actually think they will let Anderson stay one more year if he improves his record - they are in need of money - why do you think they hired the football guy they have - cheap and nobody of substance wanted the job.  This will be the same problem this year for basketball just like was last year for basketball.  They shopped the job and found that nobody wanted it and those who did were not of their liking.

I'm mostly in agreement with this.  That said, I was happy when they made the hire because I felt Anderson had a pretty low ceiling.  I just didn't realize how low the floor was.

• 3 weeks later...