Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Head coach in waiting at SMU.

That has never stopped anyone from moving on before. I guess the question is, how long is he willing to wait Brown to move on or die? My guess is he would bolt for a job that is basically at the same level as SMU if you are going to pay him enough.

I am not saying Jankovich would be my top choice, but he just feels like the kind of guy that SLU would go after. Not too expensive, a track record of some success as a head coach, knows the midwest, someone they think can quickly turn around the recruiting situation, etc..

I would say Larry has one more year after this year at SMU, then he will be done, plus I am sure Larry negotiated some pretty big payouts for his assistants. On a side note, Jankovich has a son who is a sophmore in HS who is pretty talented, 6'3 sharp shooter, averaging about 15 ppg and 3 made three pointers per game.

Jank is making a lot there - like Crews type salary.

When I say not too expensive, I mean like the money it would take to hire a guy like Drew. They would have to pay an insane amount to get him to come to SLU. I don't see them paying that kind of money. I do think they will be willing to pay a guy they determine to be the right fit more than they are paying Crews.

What in his resume makes you think he's a top candidate? Am I missing something?

People think he is one of the best recruiters in the country. I think SLU is going to go that way to try to quickly fix the talent problem. He had a good record at IL St (both made the NIT and won 21 or more games 4 out of 5 seasons). He has a long history of recruiting the Midwest. He is highly thought of in coaching circles.

Jank won a lot of games at ISU because he had one of the weakest schedules in the country. I would pass.

I'm not a huge Jank fan either, but tons of people seem to think the guy is a great coach. In his defense his teams at IL St had decent Pomeroy ratings except one season. 53, 62, 86, 236 and 96. My big problem with him is he performed better with Porter's players than his own.

Nope, he wasn't. He left his previous job voluntarily. When I sad retreads I'm referring to guys who were fired from their previous positions.

Is a guy who get fired once from a BCS job immediately labeled a "retread?" I think there are a lot of good coaches who for whatever reason don't get it done at the BCS level, but still may be very good "mid-major" coaches.

Also, plenty of young hot shot coaches who get their crack at the big time fail... Josh Pastner and Dickie Pitino Jr. appear to be heading down that road. Sometimes taking a guy who has had some success prior to getting fired is better than a guy with very little track record. Everybody likes to think the "young guy" is going to be the next Brad Stevens, but that often isn't the case. The coaching trail is littered with guys who were tabbed the next big thing.

Is a guy who get fired once from a BCS job immediately labeled a "retread?" I think there are a lot of good coaches who for whatever reason don't get it done at the BCS level, but still may be very good "mid-major" coaches.

Darrin Horn currently at Texas killed as HC at WKY but in 4 years at USC(e) he did do so well. Has some Mid-west ties

http://texassports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=999&path=mbball

Not better than Diener but intriguing. All aboard Diener Express

so a guy who has been dismissed from his last two jobs, left a new coach with a team that has lost 17 of their last 18, had multiple non-qualifiers, would require at least $2 million a year and hasn't coached in the midwest for 25 years is your choice. This is a shtick, right?

Lavin and St. John's couldn't come to terms on money, so they parted ways. His recruiting was great out of the gate with St. John's but took a big hit when he was diagnosed and treated for cancer. He would deserve at least $2 million a year at SLU, and the school should figure out a way to come up with that money for him. I don't give a sh¡t if he's ever coached in the midwest, he's coached Division I college basketball at two programs in big time conferences and had great success. His body of work is better than most, if not all, of those who are on the open market. No schtick here.... this program needs Coach Lavin, like the country needs President Trump!

alg-st-johns-steve-lavin-jpg.jpg

Also, plenty of young hot shot coaches who get their crack at the big time fail... Josh Pastner and Dickie Pitino Jr. appear to be heading down that road. Sometimes taking a guy who has had some success prior to getting fired is better than a guy with very little track record. Everybody likes to think the "young guy" is going to be the next Brad Stevens, but that often isn't the case. The coaching trail is littered with guys who were tabbed the next big thing.

It depends on the reason for the individual no longer being employed there. Bad relationship with the AD? Maybe a new AD wanted his own guy? Running from violations (e.g. Frank Haith)? How old is he and how long was he at his previous job and what was the trajectory? Was he successful with the previous coach's recruits and how did the new coach do with the guys who remained and were recruited by the previous staff. Was he a good fit at that school in terms of geography and support? How long has he been out?

I look at the hiring trends in the A-10 and Big East and recent hires (our peer programs), taking into account the changing NCAA landscape which probably influenced these hires. Ordered by standings:

VCU - low major (Chattanooga, after 2 successful assistant hires)

Dayton - assistant

Bonaventure - low major (Robert Morris)

GW - low major (Vermont)

Rhode Island - low major (Wagner)

Duquense - low major (LIU-Brooklyn)

UMass - assistant

SLU - retread from Evansville and Army

Fordham - low major (Eastern Kentucky)

George Mason - low major (Bucknell, after BCS level retread flamed out....BCS level guy who turned down St. John's in 2010)

Big East (since that's the ultimate destination goal):

Xavier - assistant

Seton Hall - low/mid major (Iona)

Creighton - BCS coach who was about the be fired and had a all-America son to play for him

Providence - low/mid major (Fairfield)

Butler - assistant who was previously head coach at a low major (Gardner Webb)

Marquette - assistant

DePaul - retread fired from Virginia who was previously HC at DePaul

St. John's - greatest player in school history, never before a head coach

Not that this necessarily means anything in the grand scheme of things but I was interested in the hiring trends of our peer programs.