Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Has anyone brought up Scott Nagy of South Dakota State? He makes $200K,Forbes lists him as #1 for cost per win AND SD state law apparently prohibits multi year contracts.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fiei45idl/no-1-scott-nagy-south-dakota-state-2/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Nagy

I like Scott Nagy. But there is something weird there. He isn't exactly a secret there, has had success, and has had interviews for mid major jobs in the past. Not sure where the disconnect is.

He does have his team in the top 50 RPI this year and scheduled for another summit league regular season championship.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thad Matta's seat is quite warm in Columbus. Two of the most embarrassing losses in program history this year - 35 @ Maryland and 25 @ IU, not to mention two unexplained home losses, first to the Carelton of Texas, UT-Arlington AND then the Fightin' Karl Malones of Louisiana Tech delivered an L on Brutus' boys. Aside from beating a "rebuilding" Kentucky program in Brooklyn, OSU is rapidly descending in the BigTen. Their boosters won't stand for it. Matta might be an available option if they don't make the NCAA tournament.

Thad Matta's seat is quite warm in Columbus. Two of the most embarrassing losses in program history this year - 35 @ Maryland and 25 @ IU, not to mention two unexplained home losses, first to the Carelton of Texas, UT-Arlington AND then the Fightin' Karl Malones of Louisiana Tech delivered an L on Brutus' boys. Aside from beating a "rebuilding" Kentucky program in Brooklyn, OSU is rapidly descending in the BigTen. Their boosters won't stand for it. Matta might be an available option if they don't make the NCAA tournament.

His track record is such that I don't think we would have a chance. I think some big football school would land him.

Not a prayer.

I'm not sure what's more the ludicrous assertion: that Thad Matta's seat is warm considering his record at OSU is 312-102, or that OSU boosters care about basketball,

Adding to the rumor mill from a reliable source; SLU is in contact with Chris Crutchfield, lead assistant coach at Oklahoma University. Apart from being part of the #1 coaching staff in the country, he is also their lead recruiter and development guy....ie Buddy Hield, etc . If this is correct it would be a major coup to land a young head coach who has a real pulse on recruiting top 100 kids and developing them.

Adding to the rumor mill from a reliable source; SLU is in contact with Chris Crutchfield, lead assistant coach at Oklahoma University. Apart from being part of the #1 coaching staff in the country, he is also their lead recruiter and development guy....ie Buddy Hield, etc . If this is correct it would be a major coup to land a young head coach who has a real pulse on recruiting top 100 kids and developing them.

This is very, very interesting. In addition to top 100 guys, OK has identified some hidden gems the big recruiting services didn't rank. I'd be more than ok with this.

His track record is such that I don't think we would have a chance. I think some big football school would land him.

David Blatt took the Cavs to the Finals last year. Again, the "what have you done for me lately" world that we live in might rear its ugly head down the road in Columbus.

But I'd gladly take Mr. Crutchfield from Norman...so I'm ok letting Matta go.

A solid resume from an assistant coach type candidate. Definitely not a splash of wow hire.

I wouldn't call him "young" as he is 46. That seems middle age to me for coaches anymore.

Speaking of Oklahoma... I would rather give Jeff Capel another shot. He is only 40 and already has a lot of head coaching experience - did well at VCU, made an Elite 8 at OU. He can tell Blake Griffin stories to recruits the way RM used to talk about Andre Miller. He's young enough that there is a good chance he has improved as a coach. His dad was a coach at ODU, so he grew up around it. Has some name recognition. Currently an assistant at Duke, so most importantly it would make MB happy! As I mentioned previously, also would be happy with Anthony Grant - success at VCU, from Billy Donovan coaching tree. Also ok with Groce as was brought up by others, if he becomes available. Fine with Sendek. My profile is a head coach with success at the mid-major level, already had a bite at the BCS apple, has experience, yet still fairly young.

I don't know about Crutchfield. Am I missing anyone that stands out on Kruger's coaching tree outside of Altman. I think Kruger is one of the top 5 coaches in college basketball, but I am not soldo one of his assistants automatically.

Maybe you prefer one of the Duke assistants instead!

Speaking of Oklahoma... I would rather give Jeff Capel another shot. He is only 40 and already has a lot of head coaching experience - did well at VCU, made an Elite 8 at OU. He can tell Blake Griffin stories to recruits the way RM used to talk about Andre Miller. He's young enough that there is a good chance he has improved as a coach. His dad was a coach at ODU, so he grew up around it. Has some name recognition. Currently an assistant at Duke, so most importantly it would make MB happy! As I mentioned previously, also would be happy with Anthony Grant - success at VCU, from Billy Donovan coaching tree. Also ok with Groce as was brought up by others, if he becomes available. Fine with Sendek. My profile is a head coach with success at the mid-major level, already had a bite at the BCS apple, has experience, yet still fairly young.

Capel would be a good one too but I do not see a guy obviously being groomed to takeover for Coach K leaving to coach SLU.

I like his resume he has great experience and is under 50. Thank you for the information I like what I have read about him.

I don't know about Crutchfield but this is the type of direction we should go. Top assistant who is a lead recruiter.

+1

Unfortunately there will be quite a few schools interested but it is a nice dream anyway. Illinois fans have told me they wanted Thad as their coach.

Speaking of Oklahoma... I would rather give Jeff Capel another shot. He is only 40 and already has a lot of head coaching experience - did well at VCU, made an Elite 8 at OU. He can tell Blake Griffin stories to recruits the way RM used to talk about Andre Miller. He's young enough that there is a good chance he has improved as a coach. His dad was a coach at ODU, so he grew up around it. Has some name recognition. Currently an assistant at Duke, so most importantly it would make MB happy! .

I agree that Capel would be nice, but I think you can forget about him coming to SLU. He had the job at Arizona State last year if he wanted it, but turned it down. If he's willing to turn down ASU, he's not going to say yes to SLU 1 year later, especially at our level at the moment.

I agree that Capel would be nice, but I think you can forget about him coming to SLU. He had the job at Arizona State last year if he wanted it, but turned it down. If he's willing to turn down ASU, he's not going to say yes to SLU 1 year later, especially at our level at the moment.

+1

I think just on the recruiting side Crutchfield would be taking the program in the right direction. Man has an eye for real talent it seems.

Maybe you prefer one of the Duke assistants instead!

I prefer someone with a current track record at the D 1 level as a successful coach like Dambrot or Russell Turner. With them the worst case is an unspectacular but competitive program.

The potential downside with an unproven assistant is a complete failure. I don't know if this program could recover from two failure coaches in a row.