#FireJimCrews

One thing seems certain: If Jim Crews had any aspirations of returning to his alma mater to be head coach, his performance at SLU these past two seasons would be kissing that opportunity bye-bye.

Crews never had a spectacular record at Evansville, though at one time he appeared promising while in the MCC, but I held out hope that at a higher level conference and with better facilities than what hindered Spoon, Romar, and Soderberg (West Pine), Crews could recruit at a higher level than he could at Evansville and he could apply some of that hand-me-down Bobby Knight magic and keep SLU at or above the level that Rick Majerus had the program trending. Alas, while his recruits appear to have decent athleticism and skill, on the court between the ears he seems unable to develop a good team and it appears today's game has passed him — and the entire Bobby Knight coaching tree — by.

It's nothing personal though. I like him a great deal as a character person. But the program needs a basketball coach much more than a role model.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you aren't taking into account that Mike Davis ran that ship aground and then Kelvin Samspon dumped gas all over, lit it on fire, and left Dakich to piss on the ashes.

Crean had a total rebuild there. Zeller and Oladipo leaving early set him back a little but he had a long way to go with their 3 year probation when he went there.

It's true that they were on probation and the cupboard was totally bare when he got there. But it shouldn't take 3 years of building at Indiana, and the payoff isn't nearly enough. If you ignore the 3 rebuilding years, it's 4 tournament wins in 4 years which is pretty mediocre. Maybe I'm overrating IU as a program but I think they're one of the best in the country, on par with Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

How much more can this program take?

There's very little justification for Crews getting to start this season coming off 11-21, and the exact same thing happens again?

Giving someone a "bad year" leads to more "bad years". This should have been done after the A-10 tournament last year before the plane hit Lambert.

Thankfully nobody asked your opinion after Majerus had a losing year here.

I'd rather not select a coach who was fired from his last job. (The only exception would be someone who was fired for failing to win more than one NCAA Tournament game every year despite getting there regularly — a program with much higher standards than SLU fans have been able to dream about for a while.)

We have a coach by the name of Jim Crews. I will take just about anybody and be happy.

One thing seems certain: If Jim Crews had any aspirations of returning to his alma mater to be head coach, his performance at SLU these past two seasons would be kissing that opportunity bye-bye.

Crews never had a spectacular record at Evansville, though at one time he appeared promising while in the MCC, but I held out hope that at a higher level conference and with better facilities than what hindered Spoon, Romar, and Soderberg (West Pine), Crews could recruit at a higher level than he could at Evansville and he could apply some of that hand-me-down Bobby Knight magic and keep SLU at or above the level that Rick Majerus had the program trending. Alas, while his recruits appear to have decent athleticism and skill, on the court between the ears he seems unable to develop a good team and it appears today's game has passed him and the entire Bobby Knight coaching tree by.

It's nothing personal though. I like him a great deal as a character person. But the program needs a basketball coach much more than a role model.

When I first started looking at colleges before my senior year I took a visit to U of Evansville. My boss, an IU grad, said to me " Jim Crews. The next coach at Indiana." This was 1993. He had a couple solid years taking UE to the NCAA tourney 3 times and the NIT twice in 7 years. I remember UE wearing the t-shirt jerseys. He had solid but unspectacular success after UE jumped to the Valley and made the tourney again in 1999 but IU never called, he took the Army job out if the blue and failed there. He's a very good basketball mind, a good man but he's from a previous era that basketball has moved on from.

Asa far as a "big name," what do people define that as? Does SLU want to go the retread route?

If Jim Crews had any aspirations of returning to his alma mater to be head coach, his performance at SLU these past two seasons would be kissing that opportunity bye-bye.

Huh!!?? Crews' aspirations to coach at IU died 15 years ago. The only thing he was aspiring to do was more fishin', before Majerus begged him to help out for one year.

. I like him a great deal as a character person.

Yeah, Crews didn't want the job in the first place, and he must know that he sucks as a coach, but that doesn't stop him from cashing his $750,000+/- paycheck as he phones in another lost season. That's character. Bobby Knight sure as hell better write Crews out of his will!

It's a forgone conclusion that Crews is gone after this season, so maybe it's time to move on to the next logical point of discussion.

Following up on thicks coherent line of reasoning: Does Jim Crews deserve induction into the Billiken HOF?

Crews .640 winning percentage, if not the best, ranks near the top for any SLU coach. Back to back A-10 titles, Two time A-10 COY, Sporting News National AND NABC COY. In many respects, Crews has a SLU coaching resume that is unmatched by any former coach.

Crews can make a solid case for HOF induction. Who can deny him that honor?

Crews .640 winning percentage, if not the best, ranks near the top for any SLU coach. Back to back A-10 titles, Two time A-10 COY, Sporting News National AND NABC COY. In many respects, Crews has a SLU coaching resume that is unmatched by any former coach.

Skip would've had us in the Elite Eight.

Skip would've had us in the Elite Eight.

my 87 year old mother could have gotten our rickma teams that crews coached to the elite 8.