Wich St over the Bills by 1

The Wiz

That wasn't the way the headline was supposed to read BUT....

Yesterday's weak performance (1st half) was enough to knock the Bills down a full notch to C+. Even without a full set of data, that is not an easy thing to do. For those with a stomach for it, you can check the post game analysis on the MH by 4 thread.

On to WSU.( B ) So you think you are disappointed... try being a Shocker fan....A preseason Top 10 team, now wondering if they will see any post season play.

For the Van Vleet followers, he may not even play on Sat. If he does he will not be a major factor. He has only played a few minutes this season...missed most of the preseason practice. Last serious basketball was 9 months ago.. A non factor in this game.

But this Wichita team isn't just about Van Vleet. While he is one of the great players in the country, it would take more than that to send a top team reeling. His backup, a potential star, is out for the season..as well as their starting forward. This team has suffered some major losses in personnel.

But WSU still has a lot of really good players left. They have lost depth and experience but will still be tough to beat.

What do we need to do to win?

Stop Baker...the one remaining star....hold him to 13pts

Don't give the Shockers 2nd chances. This was a big problem with the MH game...They out rebounded us on the Off boards 10-2 and converted those to pts....get some rebounds.

Take carre of the ball...20 TOs (most in the 1st half) is unacceptable...Take care of the ball

Make the bunnies,,,,we have to sink those 1 and 2 foot shots....finish.

WSU slashline...we need to hold them to....35% / 30%

The Bills....47% / 33% / 70 %

Bottomline....If we play like we did the first half of the Lville game...we win....If we play like we did in the 1st half of the MH game then we lose...This game is a coin toss ..almost

I have no idea what to expect in this game. A depleted Wichita St team vs a team that just got blown off their own court against a mediocre team at best. I would think we're pumped for this game and will start strong but let's see how long we can hang in there.

Here are the comparative stats so far for WSU (WIST by teamrankings) and STL, including the most recent games, from TeamRankings:

Offensive Stat Comparison Stat WIST STL Points/Game 69.0 / 67.3 Avg Score Margin -3.0 / +3.7 Assists/Game 11.8 / 13.7 Total Rebounds/Gm 38.6 / 32.2 Effective FG % 42.8% / 50.7% Off Rebound % 36.9% /18.7% FTA/FGA 0.359 / 0.536 Turnover % 12.7% / 18.1%
Defensive Stat Comparison Stat WIST STL Opp Points/Game 72.0 / 63.7 Opp Effective FG % 53.6% / 46.7% Off Rebounds/Gm 13.2 / 5.3 Def Rebounds/Gm 21.8 / 23.7 Blocks/Game 2.2 / 2.5 Steals/Game 7.2 / 4.8 Personal Fouls/Gm 21.4 / 20.2

As you can see, we are not doing that bad in comparison.

From today's Wichita Eagle

"VanVleet practiced this week, moving cautiously toward playing condition, and considers himself a game-time decision for Saturday."

"The Shockers (2-4) play at Saint Louis (4-2) on Saturday night in what is as close to a crisis game as they’ve faced since 2013. A record that includes one win over an NCAA Division I team puts their NCAA Tournament resume on the edge of disaster starting a crucial stretch against the Billikens, UNLV, Utah and Seton Hall."

Blowout. After this game, it will be apparent that Crews should be fired and we start a national search for the best guy who'll take the job. Would hate to lose Calbert in a coaching change, but it might be necessary.

That said, I posted this so it will blow up in my face as the Bills fight their way to victory.

Blowout. After this game, it will be apparent that Crews should be fired and we start a national search for the best guy who'll take the job. Would hate to lose Calbert in a coaching change, but it might be necessary.

That said, I posted this so it will blow up in my face as the Bills fight their way to victory.

I still don't understand why people are so high on Calbert Cheaney....

If he and the team finish the season strong, then I'll go back to "THe Bills on Crews Control" — "resume." Until then, I've applied the brakes. I like Crews, so I hope I'll need to change it back.

I appreciate that you capitalize the H in "THe" even when referencing the username.

The Wiz had nothing to do with this, the stats prior to the game looked a lot more favorable to SLU than the way it was. I suppose that after this game they will look worse. We are a C team at best I am afraid to say.

That is why sometimes you have to believe your eyes when you watch a team.