Top 10 Moments on Current Court

ThomasCrone

Friday marks the installation of a new court and branding effort at the Chaifetz.

Let's say someone was making a list of the Top Ten moments on this court...

That list could include:

... Kwamain Mitchell's "the shot" vs. Dayton.

... the Bills beating Washington and former coach Lorenzo Romar.

... a handful of games against VCU.

Non-MBB events qualify, too, ala the volleyball team's win over Stanford.

List could include great wins, or wins with meaning, or even losses of stature.

Let's say someone was making this list tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. What should he include?

TC

-30-

That was fun.

Fun topic. Here's my list:

1.) Beating the tar out of then #9 Butler.

2.) Beating the tar out of VCU the same season.

3.) First half against Romar's Washington showing that we had finally arrived.

4.) Second half comeback vs. X on Conklin's senior night.

5.) Winning the A-10 regular season vs. LaSalle.

6.) Kwamain's shot vs. Dayton

7.) Beating VCU again in 2013

8.) NYE win over New Mexico

9.) Win over Boston College in the team's 2nd? regular season game at Chaifetz

10.) Loe's late 3 pointers in the 2OT win over George Mason.

Here are mine that I witnessed (I was living out of town for some of the other games):

Winning the A-10 title on Mitchell, Remuken, and Ellis' Senior Day.

Wins over VCU in 2913 and 2014. The loudest I've ever heard the Chaifetz was after a first half dunk by Dwayne Evans in the 2014 game.

The KM bank shot to tie late in regulation against Dayton in 2010.

The Washington game in 2011.

The New Mexico game on New Years Eve in 2012.

Agreed with SShoe on the Xavier senior night game, but I think that is the #1 moment. That was an awesome comeback with something like a 20-0 run in the 2nd half. And Conklin/Cassity senior nights, Majerus's last game coaching at Chaifetz. That game also solidified the bubble for the first tournament team. Just a special night all around.

Kwamain vs. Dayton was a great moment and similar comeback.

ConkSmash was a great moment for eternity.

Fun topic. Here's my list:

1.) Beating the tar out of then #9 Butler.

2.) Beating the tar out of VCU the same season.

3.) First half against Romar's Washington showing that we had finally arrived.

4.) Second half comeback vs. X on Conklin's senior night.

5.) Winning the A-10 regular season vs. LaSalle.

6.) Kwamain's shot vs. Dayton

7.) Beating VCU again in 2013

8.) NYE win over New Mexico

9.) Win over Boston College in the team's 2nd? regular season game at Chaifetz

10.) Loe's late 3 pointers in the 2OT win over George Mason.

Awesome list.

Great memories. The Butler game was a phenomenal pinnacle. That was as good as it ever got.

I think the New Mexico game was also about as good as we could play (my memory of it may be somewhat dubious given it was NYE and I had some adult beverages too). VCU was great but somehow we had their number...

I will suggest one loss: because that Wichita State team that came in and beat us was outstanding, and we hung right in there. Nobody knew it at the time but they were on their way to an undefeated regular season and were probably overall the best team of the year. We hung in there against a terrific team, one of the best in the past decade in my estimation: we were not quite good enough to win but gritty and we gave them a shot near the end. We just got behind and couln't quite catch up. That Wichita group could have won the Final 4 that year, I was sorry to see them lose.

PS: they lost that year to the horrible one from KY, in fact right here in STL. Wichita' Van Vleet had a chance to win that one too, missed the final shot as I recall. The dreaded Wildcats!

Great memories. The Butler game was a phenomenal pinnacle. That was as good as it ever got.

I think the New Mexico game was also about as good as we could play (my memory of it may be somewhat dubious given it was NYE and I had some adult beverages too). VCU was great but somehow we had their number...

I will suggest one loss: because that Wichita State team that came in and beat us was outstanding, and we hung right in there. Nobody knew it at the time but they were on their way to an undefeated regular season and were probably overall the best team of the year. We hung in there against a terrific team, one of the best in the past decade in my estimation: we were not quite good enough to win but gritty and we gave them a shot near the end. We just got behind and couln't quite catch up. That Wichita group could have won the Final 4 that year, I was sorry to see them lose.

PS: they lost that year to the horrible one from KY, in fact right here in STL. Wichita' Van Vleet had a chance to win that one too, missed the final shot as I recall. The dreaded Wildcats!

The Wichita State game really stung. We coulda/shoulda won it. We were up 7 with about 7 minutes to go, DE grabbed a rebound, had JJ wide open up the court for an easy layup and over-shot him on the pass... we were poised to go up 9. After that play WSU slowly started turning the game in their favor. Cleanthony Early hit two huge 3's late in the game. Credit to WSU for playing with a lot of heart, but that game was there for us to win if we play better down the stretch. That game was early in the season and Jordair was not playing well at the time, not like he played later in the season when he would take over games in the final minutes.

Another one from the top 10 streak is the win against GW. GW's run in the second half was in a lot of ways a turning point in that season. It was the first time I started wondering if those seniors were running out of steam. But even after coughing up something like a 17 point lead with 8 minutes to go, the Bills were able to nail down one more win against a good A-10 opponent.

Might not have been any huge individual baskets, but I remember Glaze having one of his better hot streaks late that game. The fact that it ended up the last win in the streak makes it more significant in hindsight.

JB missed a would-be winner 3 from the top of the key as time-expired, right? I remember being right there and bummed, would have been an awesome video of the place going nuts

He still could have tied it with the three, but what sticks out more to me is Barnett missing a free throw with a chance to tie a few seconds earlier.

Great lists and one-off suggestions. Appreciate 'em. Vetting these against the SID's own list and we'll come up with something representative, I think. If you have any late contenders, keep sending through today.

(Have also seen some concerts at Chaiftez, but none have changed my world, yet.)

TC

-30-