JC Hot Seat

Old guy is correct.

So if we signed Tatum, season tickets: yes. That does not change The Chosen One's financial resources. So TCO is full of ca ca.

When did I ever say it was purely a financial decision (although I guess it is since we decided it was a waste of money to pay for full season tickets in the lower level and only going to a handful of games)? With us only making a handful of games this past season and likely again this season, it did not make sense to continue to get season tickets, but instead just purchase tickets for the games we want to go to (probably that same handful of games). Had Tatum committed, I had a feeling getting tickets for the games we were able to attend next year may be a bit more difficult and I did not want to miss out on a season with Tatum as a Billiken (Larry Hughes 2.0), so I would have been willing to essentially waste season tickets again this season to ensure I would be able to watch Tatum play when I wanted.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

I'll just say that while it's likely that no one on this board is living in a state of poverty, everyone is at different stages of our lives, and life can get expensive.

Some posters here are retired and living on fixed incomes. For some, daycare is a major expense. For others, it's student loans. Some folks are putting their kids through college now. Bonwich has 18 cars and a personal property tax bill equal to the GDP of Tunisia. It's hard to begrudge anyone for forgoing the expense of season tickets. And IIRC, it's not like TCO said he will not be attending games anymore; he just won't be purchasing season tickets. I'd still consider Billiken Rich a fan, and he gave up his season tickets a while back.

The cost of quality daycare is obscene.

When did I ever say it was purely a financial decision (beyond it being a waste of money to pay for full season tickets in the lower level and only going to a handful of games)? With us only making a handful of games this past season and likely again this season, it did not make sense to continue to get season tickets, but instead just purchase tickets for the games we want to go to (probably that same handful of games). Had Tatum committed, I had a feeling getting tickets for the games we were able to attend next year may be a bit more difficult and I did not want to miss out on a season with Tatum as a Billiken (Larry Hughes 2.0), so I would have been willing to essentially waste season tickets again this season to ensure I would be able to watch Tatum play when I wanted.

You never said it was purely financial... but the issue is many of your lil pals are saying it was purely financial and ignore that you said it was whether or not Tatum committed.

And yes I quit my season tickets the last couple seasons... had them on and off for a total of about 18 years back to the 80's not sure exactly.

Old guy is correct.

So if we signed Tatum, season tickets: yes. That does not change The Chosen One's financial resources. So TCO is full of ca ca.

So people don't adjust the value of things based on how enjoyable they actually are.. Sound reasoning. If Tatum came it's a completely different, possible once in a generation, experience.

You never said it was PURELY financial... but the issue is many of your lil pals are saying it was financial and ignore that you said it was whether or not Tatum committed.

And yes I quit my season tickets the last 2 seasons... had them on and off for a total of about 18 years back to the 80's not sure exactly.

So this will be the third season in a row you haven't been a fan?

What follows does not apply to people that live far away or in other states for whom attending games and holding season tickets is a burden that must be combined with hotel charges and travel fees for the privilege of attending games. However you live in St. Louis, don't you? This is my answer to you:

No I do not want to make a donation on your behalf to attend the games of what you think is or will be a truly inferior team which you claim to be a fan of. The way to be a fan is to open your own wallet and pay your own fan dues by yourself. Otherwise it is just pretense. What I say is that real fans are willing to pay for the privilege of being a fan of the Bills. So if you claim to be a fan, then put your own money where your mouth is. If you want to claim to be fan and you live in St. Louis, then act a fan would and go to the games. I want to make this very clear, I do not think you live in a state of poverty. But if you do live in poverty, I will gladly apologize, since you may need your money for other purposes like paying your mortgage and feeding yourself. However, I have no reason to think this is the case. I think you are just making a point to shine and attract attention to yourself. A "look at me, look at me" type of thing. I believe you are not a real fan. I believe you are a pretentious fake who wants to do notable things and craves attention. May I suggest trying to get into a reality show in TV? Trump is a case in point, Lord, he is a total idiot, but he is enormously successful in obtaining public attention. Have you ever considered running for president?

Are you saying the Bills can only have 10,000 to 11,000 fans?

You never said it was purely financial... but the issue is many of your lil pals are saying it was purely financial and ignore that you said it was whether or not Tatum committed.

And yes I quit my season tickets the last couple seasons... had them on and off for a total of about 18 years back to the 80's not sure exactly.

Why did you stop getting tickets?

I'm not a fan either as I could find a way to afford them but I choose to coach instead which takes 3 week nights and Sundays away. I also work Saturday. In the end it would cost me over a grand for the 5-7 games I could attend. I have made the decision it is not worth $150 - $200 per game for 2 seats. So I realize I am not a fan and would like to apologize to all real fans, my family, my friends, and everyone associated with SLU in any way for any problems I may have caused them while pretending to be a fan.

Just so I know heading into this season so I don't get attacked when I post, can Crews be judged on this season now that this is 100% his team and his system? So far I have it like this. Please correct any errors.

2012-2013 - Majerus' players, Majerus' system. Crews gets credit.

2013-2014 - Almost all Majerus' players, especially those who played. Still mainly Majerus' system. Crews gets credit.

2014-2015 - Almost all Crews' players. No system evident at all. Crews does not get credit.

2015-2016 - All Crews' players and Crews' system. I assume the answer to this will depend on the record?

Just so I know heading into this season so I don't get attacked when I post, can Crews be judged on this season now that this is 100% his team and his system? So far I have it like this. Please correct any errors.

2013-2014 - Almost all Majerus' players, especially those who played. Still mainly Majerus' system. Crews gets credit.

2014-2015 - Almost all Crews' players. No system evident at all. Crews does not get credit.

2015-2016 - All Crews' players and Crews' system. I assume the answer to this will depend on the record?

Correct. And don't forget you can also not judge Crews for the 20+ years he was a head coach before arriving at SLU

I worked in the AD as a student, was in charge of the SLUnatics, and now have season tickets. I do however, criticize Crews and the players on a message board. I potentially even hurt their feelings. Where do I stand in the fan meter?

Do you have season tickets?

Players are judged by ... can they dunk

Fans are judged by ... do you have season tickets

The Billikens.com way

I am not a Billiken Fan as I gave up my tickets when the Bills moved to the new building.

All of this bickering is pointless. Romar, Brad, Rick, Jim. All have had detractors and defenders. All had good teams and horrible teams. Good recruits and head scratchers. Throwing Crews under the bus for last year is silly-just as silly as those who wondered whether Rick had lost his touch after his early stumbles.

This goes in cycles: I was a defender of Romar till he left Brad holding the empty recruiting sack. I defended Brad till we got Rick and defended Rick till he died. I was not a fan of the Crews hire and despaired initially.

It just doesn't seem fair to me to blame Crews for the past recruiting misses of Rick's last class and the class the he put together as an interim coach. Freshmen alone will rarely lead an entire team to victory.

You damn Crews haters have got me defending him again!

The book on Crews will be written after this season. As someone said above it's either lack of talent, inability to coach the talent, or a combination of both. No getting around it, last year was butt ugly. Can't even recall one of Brad's teams playing as lousy as we saw last year. But, as most have said, they were FR and we had a virus in the locker room. I'm not really optimistic about this year at all since I think our problems are the combination choice but am hoping to be proved wrong. We'll find out soon enough.

The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle:

Crews should get credit for doing a pretty good job of guiding the team during the 2012-13 season. Yes, the players were all RM's but I give Crews an A. It was good enough to earn him national coach of the year so that seems like an A to me.

At least in my opinion, Crews did fine in 2013-14. I'd give him a B+. It's still the second best season we've had in the modern era in terms of NCAA seeding and final AP ranking, but maybe it could have been more.

Crews obviously deserves an F for last season. But you know who else get's an F for that season is Majerus as it was his failed senior (Glaze and Manning) and junior classes (McBroom, Drew, Carter) that turned the season into complete crap. There is only so much that freshmen can be expected to do and we've seen that many times through SLU history (Clags/Highmark class, Evans/Loe/Jett/McCall class). To ignore the failures of RM here is just ignorant.

What grade will he get this year is anyone's guess. Many seem to have already have given him an F though which is the odd thing to me. I for one am willing to let it play out...

No one is grading Crews on the upcoming season. I think JC can definitely be an adequate coach. He proved this with the Majerus teams. 15-18 wins would still fall into this category. Adequate is not going to get Saint Louis U. over the hump and into the S16. We're happy with this chance once every 3-4 years? At best? What happened to becoming the next X or Gonzaga?

No one is grading Crews on the upcoming season. I think JC can definitely be an adequate coach. He proved this with the Majerus teams. 15-18 wins would still fall into this category. Adequate is not going to get Saint Louis U. over the hump and into the S16. We're happy with this chance once every 3-4 years? At best? What happened to becoming the next X or Gonzaga?

It's not unusual for a talented sophomore led team to win 15-18 games and then win 23+ games the next year.