Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back through the play by play we had 33 turnovers, 14 in the 4th quarter, and 3 in the OT. So we had 33 turnovers in 103 possessions resulting in 32% of possessions ending in turnovers. You can accept a max of 20 with that many possessions. Got to improve this area drastically.

Looking at the standings for the tourney - the 3 teams below us have only played 2 games - I assume they will have a third game which they could then leap frog us. 33 TOs is unacceptable - TOs were a problem last year and nothing has been improved apparently - not yet at least. Would it be asking/hoping for too much that maybe the players learned something from this win.

From a different point of view, Think of the picture of the team in the nice sailboat out at sea. This is great for team bonding. Whoever sent the picture called it "the family." If you agree that one of the factors that brought the Bills down last year was a toxic environment within the team (or at least that was my understanding of the situation), then you must agree that this sailboat trip out in the Bahamas, at sea with "the family" is a very good bonding experience for the team.

Hines was in the team last season, as a walk on. He was clearly recognizable during the practice before the games by the effort he put into his shots, this was a clear contrast to TL who seemed totally disinterested in the game or the practice. At least this trip is a good bonding experience for them, and if it allows us to play better together as a team, then bless it, The Bahamas trip may live int he minds of some of the kids, who may never have had anything similar in their lives, as a really good and memorable thing. At least I hope this may be the case.

And before people start whining about this, there are kids in the inner cities that have NEVER gone to a place like Bahamas, and a number of kids that have never seen mountains, or the sea. For these kids, this may be a life changing experience. So, from this point of view this was a very good move by Crews.

Looking at the standings for the tourney - the 3 teams below us have only played 2 games - I assume they will have a third game which they could then leap frog us. 33 TOs is unacceptable - TOs were a problem last year and nothing has been improved apparently - not yet at least. Would it be asking/hoping for too much that maybe the players learned something from this win.

This team is incapable of consistently getting good shots in under 24 seconds. Any time pressure was applied in the backcourt, you could see the kids rushing their passes so they would still have time to run offense in the frontcourt. We don't have enough ballhandlers to play at that pace. Once Bishop gets more experience, he could play at a 24 second pace but I don't think any of the other guards have good enough handles or court vision.

From a different point of view, Think of the picture of the team in the nice sailboat out at sea. This is great for team bonding. Whoever sent the picture called it "the family." If you agree that one of the factors that brought the Bills down last year was a toxic environment within the team (or at least that was my understanding of the situation), then you must agree that this sailboat trip out in the Bahamas, at sea with "the family" is a very good bonding experience for the team.

Hines was in the team last season, as a walk on. He was clearly recognizable during the practice before the games by the effort he put into his shots, this was a clear contrast to TL who seemed totally disinterested in the game or the practice. At least this trip is a good bonding experience for them, and if it allows us to play better together as a team, then bless it, The Bahamas trip may live int he minds of some of the kids, who may never have had anything similar in their lives, as a really good and memorable thing. At least I hope this may be the case.

And before people start whining about this, there are kids in the inner cities that have NEVER gone to a place like Bahamas, and a number of kids that have never seen mountains, or the sea. For these kids, this may be a life changing experience. So, from this point of view this was a very good move by Crews.

Obviously you do not know the background of all the players - Reynolds's father is CEO of a hedge fund in Chicago. Crawford does come from the inner city nor Gilmann and honestly White Station in Memphis is a school with a diverse student body were Roby is from. Barley's parents are college graduates. Jolly comes from a suburban family in Texas. Yarbough comes from Lake County, IL - not an inner city school but honestly I do not know anymore specifics about him/family. Hines went to Parkway North I believe. Hopefully you are not simply stereotyping all college D1 basketball players as poor and from the inner city.

This team is incapable of consistently getting good shots in under 24 seconds. Any time pressure was applied in the backcourt, you could see the kids rushing their passes so they would still have time to run offense in the frontcourt. We don't have enough ballhandlers to play at that pace. Once Bishop gets more experience, he could play at a 24 second pace but I don't think any of the other guards have good enough handles or court vision.

Thanks for a reasonable commentary as why the high # of TOs. Your point about the 24 second clock makes sense.

To Cheeseman: No, I am not. I have no idea about their backgrounds. However I know Jett came from the projects in ? (Wisconsisn?), and there have been others in the same category. Grandy was reputedly one that had come from nothing. I have no reason to believe, not knowing everyone's backgrounds, that they come from a level where they had the opportunity to travel to a foreign country or ride in a nice sailboat together. For example Bishop is from New York, the Bronx? I really do not know where they come from, but this is a good bonding opportunity for them as a team.

To Cheeseman: No, I am not. I have no idea about their backgrounds. However I know Jett came from the projects in ? (Wisconsisn?), and there have been others in the same category. Grandy was reputedly one that had come from nothing. I have no reason to believe, not knowing everyone's backgrounds, that they come from a level where they had the opportunity to travel to a foreign country or ride in a nice sailboat together. For example Bishop is from New York, the Bronx? I really do not know where they come from, but this is a good bonding opportunity for them as a team.

All that you name except Bishop are all gone so they did not get to see the Bahamas this time. I never said anything about "bonding" I only commented on your stereotyping.

Just watched the regulation game but I guess the OT isn't available. They went to a 1-2-1-1 3/4 court press in the fourth and we were completely stymied by it. Apparently, practice on attacking a press will come in the fall.

Some observations: Reggie worked hard in the post and on the glass. He still misses too many from close range. If he ever solves that problem he'll be a force in the paint.

Welmer's going to be a nice player for us although I'm not sold on him as an outside threat. He's got good hands and a nose for the basket.

Bishop has a sweet shot and I think he's going to be a threat from deep.

Crawford - I'm glad we have him on our team. He can shoot the rock and he's sneaky good around the goal. Finishes surprisingly well around the hoop for his size. It's fun to watch such a fundamentally sound player.

Davel's a take charge guy, very determined, not a five star talent, but definitely a five-star heart.

Miles has some speed but I don't see him being a starter. Just doesn't shoot well enough or finish well enough when he takes it inside. He'll make you happy with steals, transition buckets, and FT shooting, and make you sad the next time down the court. He's the kind of player about which it's said, "He does a great job of keeping both teams in the game."

Milik played well in spurts, just has to get a little more under control in the paint and needs to develop a mid-range jumper. He passed up an open 15 footer to pass to the post and the result was a turnover. He's got to believe he can make that shot.

Hard to know what to say about Hines. He's better than the average walk-on and looks like he has a good stroke, but nothing went down for him. I like that he plays with confidence but I hope he's not the best point guard in the program.

Neufeld didn't do much tonight but should help more than hurt, Jolly's a decent shooter for a big but if he's playing a lot, we won't be winning a lot, we know what we have in Gillmann in terms of good hands, good shot, but not athletic enough to carry the team. And then there's Ash. Who knows what to make of his dismal showing?

Just watched the regulation game but I guess the OT isn't available. They went to a 1-2-1-1 3/4 court press in the fourth and we were completely stymied by it. Apparently, practice on attacking a press will come in the fall.

Some observations: Reggie worked hard in the post and on the glass. He still misses too many from close range. If he ever solves that problem he'll be a force in the paint.

Welmer's going to be a nice player for us although I'm not sold on him as an outside threat. He's got good hands and a nose for the basket.

Bishop has a sweet shot and I think he's going to be a threat from deep.

Crawford - I'm glad we have him on our team. He can shoot the rock and he's sneaky good around the goal. Finishes surprisingly well around the hoop for his size. It's fun to watch such a fundamentally sound player.

Davel's a take charge guy, very determined, not a five star talent, but definitely a five-star heart.

Miles has some speed but I don't see him being a starter. Just doesn't shoot well enough or finish well enough when he takes it inside. He'll make you happy with steals, transition buckets, and FT shooting, and make you sad the next time down the court. He's the kind of player about which it's said, "He does a great job of keeping both teams in the game."

Milik played well in spurts, just has to get a little more under control in the paint and needs to develop a mid-range jumper. He passed up an open 15 footer to pass to the post and the result was a turnover. He's got to believe he can make that shot.

Hard to know what to say about Hines. He's better than the average walk-on and looks like he has a good stroke, but nothing went down for him. I like that he plays with confidence but I hope he's not the best point guard in the program.

Neufeld didn't do much tonight but should help more than hurt, Jolly can shoot a little but if he's playing a lot, we're losing a lot, we know what we have in Gillmann in terms of good hands, good shot, but not athletic enough to carry the team. And then there's Ash. Who knows what to make of his dismal showing?

How many more does EW have to make from downtown to sell you?????????????

How many more does EW have to make from downtown to sell you?????????????

A lot more, or a decent percentage, or draw iron some of the time?????????

All that you name except Bishop are all gone so they did not get to see the Bahamas this time. I never said anything about "bonding" I only commented on your stereotyping.

So, should I comment on your tendency to engage in character assassination and in ridiculing and putting down everything and everyone you do not think meets your standards, should I comment on your asinine hatred for Crews? What does it matter that Grandy or Jett did not go to Bahamas, had they done so it would have been wonderful for them. And as far as Bishop is concerned, he probably had a grand time. I think you want the world to be the way you want it to be and will put down everything and everyone that does not fit your exalted and infallible points of view. And yes bonding the team is a wonderful idea even if it is hard to you to accept that Crews may have done something right somehow.