Changes in Branding for Athletics

-A-Bomb, I would think more pics of the blonde cheerleader in the front row of the top photo are required for this to be taken seriously

There is no lack of talent in that area.

Just saying, I think Athletic Departments are a strange animal, quasi business, quasi non-profit, quasi educational with lot's of different management challenges. SLU can be better for sure but the basketball atmosphere is actually decent, the traditions are OK.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no lack of talent in that area.

Just saying, I think Athletic Departments are a strange animal, quasi business, quasi non-profit, quasi educational with lot's of different management challenges. SLU can be better for sure but the basketball atmosphere is actually decent, the traditions are OK.

You're spot on about athletics being a different beast. They operate somewhat separate from the University. They all have tremendous amounts of turnover. The employees generally traverse the country for a slight bump on their below average salaries. Most athletic departments only hire people with athletic experience which further perpetuates the cycle. It also leaves a huge lack of market knowledge for most departments which is key for the marketing and development teams in athletics. Somehow SLU has managed to stay consistently mediocre to bad even through a lot of turnover.

The lyrics to the old fight song are still on the Wikipedia page. I would much rather keep "The Saints" than come up with a new melody for the old (pretty boring) lyrics.

In 2005 the AD had a student contest to write lyrics for "The Saints" and the winner performed it during a game. I doubt it was ever heard again. I don't care about words, the tune is great.

In 2005 the AD had a student contest to write lyrics for "The Saints" and the winner performed it during a game. I doubt it was ever heard again. I don't care about words, the tune is great.

That thing was awful. I've posted about this before, but I somehow got to be a judge for that. When I gave the first or second group a low score because I didn't think they were any good (they weren't), the whole place booed me. I basically refused to participate after that.

Correct - it was held at Wackadoo's... i think "Midwest Superstars" was the song by a group of Destiny's Child wannabe's. Needless to say, both BillikenLaw and DeSmet's posts are spot-on. Horrific event.

• 3 weeks later...

So I did end up at the bookstore today. Huge amount of Billiken gear. However...

More than half -- probably 75 percent -- still carries the old branding. There's no differentiation in the merchandising between the new and the old. Most normal people (i.e. folks who aren't fans, given the dwindling number of those of us who are) would have no idea that one group of products is obsolete.

That falls somewhere between the usual abysmal marketing and consumer fraud.

So I did end up at the bookstore today. Huge amount of Billiken gear. However...

More than half -- probably 75 percent -- still carries the old branding. There's no differentiation in the merchandising between the new and the old. Most normal people (i.e. folks who aren't fans, given the dwindling number of those of us who are) would have no idea that one group of products is obsolete.

That falls somewhere between the usual abysmal marketing and consumer fraud.

Par for the course

Inept coaching staff, inept athletic department. I think to change things might require a complete housecleaning of both departments. Incompetence has been the culture of the SLU athletic department for at least the last 14 years I've been around.

And how is the AD responsible for the merchandise in the bookstore?

It's been said that the athletic department failed to inform the arena shop that they were changing logos. The same can be assumed about the bookstore. Total incompetence.

The AD was a major part of the logo switch, but the entire university participated in the process.

Well apparently, and I'm not sure why, the AD has someone else running the Chaifetz store. And the bookstore is contracted out as well. So someone couldn't walk 100 feet to inform them of the rebrand.

The AD was a major part of the logo switch, but the entire university participated in the process.

You would think someone at the school would have thought it was a good idea to inform your business partner that a change was coming so they wouldn't blow a bunch of money on inventory that would soon be outdated.

I went to the bookstore the night of the "launch" and they said they would be steadily getting new stuff throughout the year. Went back the other day and the selection didn't seem to have improved any at all. Most of the sweats and tees with the new logo did seem to be together at the front of the store, but all the other chotchkies and stuff were pretty much mixed together with old Billiken stuff. I would say there were eight or 10 things with the old fleur de lis for every scattered item you could find with the new one on it.

A clusterschtook.

Getting the new logo on the merchandise you want and the size that you want is outrageously difficult. Total failure. Nobody knows WTF is going on, few outsiders even know we changed logos.

When will we hire dedicated SLU grads, St. Louisans to do all of the staff work? We hire mostly foo-foo out of town staff who do not give a rats ass about our university, and leave after one year for a 3% better salary elsewhere.

A clusterschtook.

Getting the new logo on the merchandise you want and the size that you want is outrageously difficult. Total failure. Nobody knows WTF is going on, few outsiders even know we changed logos.

When will we hire dedicated SLU grads, St. Louisans to do all of the staff work? We hire mostly foo-foo out of town staff who do not give a rats ass about our university, and leave after one year for a 3% better salary elsewhere.

+1,000

A clusterschtook.

Something we can agree on. Although I think a few of the senior staff in the AD has a SLU or St. Louis background.

A clusterschtook.

It's more than 3%

The same logic applies to school presidents as it does to head coaches. Dr. Fred inherited a cluster fxxk from Fr. Biondi. Tbese are all Fr. Biondi people in charge and at the various helms. Unlike student athletes, though, these guys don't graduate and move on after 4 years. Instead, they keep hanging on collecting paychecks. Therefore, after some timeframe, Fr. Biondi's people become Dr Fred's people. Again, all eyes are watching you Dr. Fred.

• 3 weeks later...