McBroom gone

Jolly is the only freshman that I don't see anything in. But who knows? If he stops flopping, doesn't panic so much, and lives in the gym this summer, he could maybe be a rotation guy on a decent team. He probably needs the most work of anyone though.

I will say that these freshmen read this board religiously and for some reason, they really care what we say. So I'm trying to spread some positive vibes, but still being realistic.

+1 We are message board MORONS for a reason

My mistake. I agree completely. The players should not read this board, and if they do, they shouldn't take a single word of it to heart.

It would be better for the players not to read this board; there's no real help here. They need to look to the coaches for (constructive) criticism, and they need to look within and among themselves for validation, because there's no balance or unity among the fandom. We (as a collective) could be making a young man feel like he's the worst player in the history of Div. 1 (didn't that happen with a Kansas State player a couple of decades ago?) when in actuality he just needs to tweak a couple of techniques to become a solid player, and we could also soup up a young man's head enough to make him feel like he should be on the Wooden watch list when in actuality he needs to develop some more techniques or skills to stay ahead of scouting adjustments.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW from a friend of a friend who is in a class with AM (I know I know), word is that AM and TL did NOT have their scholarships renewed. Something about ongoing fights about inapproptiate social media posts of AM. I hope the staff knows what they are doing. Also, Hollywood is back from Cali

FWIW from a friend of a friend who is in a class with AM (I know I know), word is that AM and TL did NOT have their scholarships renewed. Something about ongoing fights about inapproptiate social media posts of AM. I hope the staff knows what they are doing. Also, Hollywood is back from Cali

IF that's true regarding social media posts, that's a good sign...saw one that was definitely inappropriate, so I think the staff know what they're doing.

It also may be some healthy turnover for both the team and the players leaving--just hope it opens the way for a player or two who can contribute in the next year or two.

If Crews had a plan that AM and TL did not have what it takes it was certainly different than the treatment Majerus gave Relphord and Knollmeyer; he worked their butts off to give them a fighting chance before running them off. Majerus knew the fit problem was his- same with the big kid from So Illinois that left for Lindenwood (grade rumors aside) but he did put them in position to fail or succeed not get bench sores. Crews may be ok if we stop comparing him to the ghost of RM-

Rumor on the streets is that all Freshman are going to stay. Also, most of them have been back in the gym hitting it pretty hard. The core group is pissed.

Staff is continuing to recruit. They have a recruit from out east coming in this weekend.

Good to hear on the frosh. I don't know if all of them will pan out and I don't know if I want 6 guys graduating in one class, but if they suck, let them leave after next year. I don't think we'll be playing a 12 man rotation next year anyway so we won't have to give valuable minutes to guys if they still can't play. I too heard that the core group is pissed. I've been saying it, but if we can get all the guys to follow 2 or 3 guys in particular in terms of their dedication and desire, we can be a decent team at least next year.

Also good to hear on the recruiting front. Get the guys now and don't end up with the last of the leftovers in May.

Good to hear on the frosh. I don't know if all of them will pan out and I don't know if I want 6 guys graduating in one class, but if they suck, let them leave after next year. I don't think we'll be playing a 12 man rotation next year anyway so we won't have to give valuable minutes to guys if they still can't play. I too heard that the core group is pissed. I've been saying it, but if we can get all the guys to follow 2 or 3 guys in particular in terms of their dedication and desire, we can be a decent team at least next year.

Also good to hear on the recruiting front. Get the guys now and don't end up with the last of the leftovers in May.

Slufan13,

I assume you mean the core group is pissed that we had a terrible year? I wasn't sure if you meant they were pissed about the transfers or about their play this season. I really hope all the freshman stick around and hit the gym hard. Sounds like they are off to a good start. We can only improve from here.

Just for clarification sake, "pissed" at whom or about what exactly?

Ha, the blue kool-aid is starting to trickle again...I like it. They are pissed that they stink...so Conklin summers all around.

Just give it 7 more months at this rate and the average win prediction will reach 20+ in the pre-season prediction thread.

Pissed about the ###### season from what I understand. Not sure if Pelican heard differently.

Yes. Pissed that we got our a$$e$ beat. That we were not winners. Leaders will be made this summer especially in Roby.

I think we trimmed a little fat in that Lancona was lazy and McBroom played for himself and not the team.

I don't really think it's breaking news or inside info that the guys are pissed. I'd be upset if they weren't. The question is whether you keep that dedication in the middle of June when all your friends are at home getting drunk every night.

I don't really think it's breaking news or inside info that the guys are pissed. I'd be upset if they weren't. The question is whether you keep that dedication in the middle of June when all your friends are at home getting drunk every night.

Let's hope they build on one another's dedication. It can be contagious.

Exactly, I dont know about Jolly and I know not for AG but, Miles, Roby, and MY have been on teams in HS that were use to winning. Especially Miles and Roby who were use to playing on espn and winning before even stepping foot on college.

Slufan13,

I assume you mean the core group is pissed that we had a terrible year? I wasn't sure if you meant they were pissed about the transfers or about their play this season. I really hope all the freshman stick around and hit the gym hard. Sounds like they are off to a good start. We can only improve from here.

I think the August trip to the Bahamas will really help this group out. The extra games will help prepare them a little better coming into next season.

Good to hear about the Bahamas trip too. Hopefully we can get some live feeds or at least the box scores of every game. Everyone will get a chance to play pretty equal minutes on that trip I'm sure, but it's more about the extra practices and playing different teams.

Rumor on the streets is that all Freshman are going to stay. Also, most of them have been back in the gym hitting it pretty hard. The core group is pissed.

Staff is continuing to recruit. They have a recruit from out east coming in this weekend.

I hope this is true. I know some people here are down on certain players, but my best case scenario is that the players we already have use the losing from this season as motivation to develop into a winning team.

FWIW, what I've heard confirms this: no more transfers, and all the freshmen are still on board. I can also tell you that a number of players have told me in the past few weeks that they are very supportive of the coaching staff and think highly of Coach Crews.

I also remain bullish on young Brett Jolly. His footwork is much better than some on here seem to think and big men tend to take a bit longer with offense. I'm not saying he can become like Conklin but I wish some of you know it all types would lay off Brett and be kinder to this kid, who works his butt off, has a good motor, and has a ton of upside.

Glad to here, now I am wondering who is the "Carleton of the Bahamas"

Speaking of Carleton, they won the CIS championship by 47 points (93-46)! They lost a few games this year but it is their 5th straight title. It is an insult to call them the "Duke of Canada" as they are way better than that.

FWIW, what I've heard confirms this: no more transfers, and all the freshmen are still on board. I can also tell you that a number of players have told me in the past few weeks that they are very supportive of the coaching staff and think highly of Coach Crews.

I also remain bullish on young Brett Jolly. His footwork is much better than some on here seem to think and big men tend to take a bit longer with offense. I'm not saying he can become like Conklin but I wish some of you know it all types would lay off Brett and be kinder to this kid, who works his butt off, has a good motor, and has a ton of upside.

I can confirm this as well. We all need to be patient and see how this team develops over the next year. Obviously, recruiting is important. Among some of the more active MBMs on this board the level of negativity over the past month is truly amazing. I was here in the Ekker days and I can promise everyone that for someone to suggest that we are back to those time is a ludicrous joke and an incredible insult to this team and the coaching staff.

Even if he works that hard, I just don't understand where the upside is in this kid. He's not a particularly good shooter, rebounder, defender, passer, ball handler, or shot blocker. He doesn't have much strength or length for his position. He's not a total stiff but demonstrated very limited athletic ability. In fact, I see less upside in him than any other freshman.

If you have any video or statistics or any other evidence to show me what you're talking about, I'd love to see it. I watched a lot of games this season and I just have no idea what you mean by "ton of upside" when it comes to him.