GDT: Let's go exploring

bonwich

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agbeko had as many turnovers down there as field goals. 4 points and 3 rebounds in 31 minutes doesn't have me chanting his name, as some others are.

He'd get his lunch eaten by true centers. I see no reason to play him at the 5.

. The guards missed him a few times when he was open on the roll.

This happens to every big in every game. He doesn't get credit for these.

I don't get what people are going crazy about here. Agbeko had a halfway decent game, which is unfortunately rare for him.

BJ trending up imo. only guy out there today with zero TO.s Just mixed up some more blueberry cool aid and had this thought; sweep these next 4 games and the talk in Brooklyn will be about the hottest and youngest team with nothing to lose coming into A10 tournament if for no other reason getting seats filled for weds and thur games. a win or 2 there after closing out season with 5 wins would go a long way in confidence building. and keep spirits up during off season on this board.

Roby, on the other hand, had a great game.

I was wrong in another thread when I said the freshmen hadn't improved, only in that Roby is clearly better now than he was early on. As a whole, I still think the class' development over the season has been a disappointment. But Roby has shown great strides, and I think it's all confidence and experience. The pieces were there early; he just wasn't finishing, wasn't making shots. Now things are clicking for him.

Pistol - Agbeko is not a longterm answer at the 5 but he's our best option this year. Same with Milik at the 4

I think we saw the answer today. Simply don't play a true 5 (unless you count Gillmann, who started but will always be more of a Loe type) and go with various combinations of forwards. There's no need to force Agbeko to be a 5 for the rest of the season. He'll wind up guarding centers in stretches in our remaining games, but I don't think his development would be aided by forcing him down there.

I think we saw the answer today. Simply don't play a true 5 (unless you count Gillmann, who started but will always be more of a Loe type) and go with various combinations of forwards. There's no need to force Agbeko to be a 5 for the rest of the season. He'll wind up guarding centers in stretches in our remaining games, but I don't think his development would be aided by forcing him down there.

Agree.

Gillmann had 6 minutes today and Manning had 0. We're just going to throw various forward combos at the remaining teams on our schedule if today is any indication.

Obviously Manning doesn't bring much to the table. Gillmann should be a fine player in the long term but can't guard a post player at this point. I hate to see him lose minutes, but it might be necessary at times.

Agbeko had as many turnovers down there as field goals. 4 points and 3 rebounds in 31 minutes doesn't have me chanting his name, as some others are.

He'd get his lunch eaten by true centers. I see no reason to play him at the 5.

Our best center today was Jolly. He played a smart, clean game today and was a factor on both ends of the floor. If we can get 20 min like that for the rest of the season we'll be in every game.

Gillmann had 6 minutes today and Manning had 0. We're just going to throw various forward combos at the remaining teams on our schedule if today is any indication.

Obviously Manning doesn't bring much to the table. Gillmann should be a fine player in the long term but can't guard a post player at this point. I hate to see him lose minutes, but it might be necessary at times.

As for GiIlmann, I don't think his lack of playing time was by design. He was just horrible on both sides of the floor. He threw at least 4 atrocious passes that went for turnovers and couldn't guard the post. I agree that Jolly played tough.

This happens to every big in every game. He doesn't get credit for these.

I don't get what people are going crazy about here. Agbeko had a halfway decent game, which is unfortunately rare for him.

Are you saying decent games are rare for RA? I didn't get to watch today, but I think he's been decent at worst in most of his appearances this side of the new year. The stat line won't tell the whole story, but I believe he does some good things that won't generally show up on a stat sheet.

All that being said, he's a 4 and I don't believe he will be effective for us if he plays as a true 5.

Are you saying decent games are rare for RA? I didn't get to watch today, but I think he's been decent at worst in most of his appearances this side of the new year. The stat line won't tell the whole story, but I believe he does some good things that won't generally show up on a stat sheet.

All that being said, he's a 4 and I don't believe he will be effective for us if he plays as a true 5.

It was an ugly ass where Roby and Crawford's late game shooting pulled our asses out of the fire. The team as a whole crashed the boards down the stretch. Even Crawford snagged one. The kids wanted this one bad.

Pistol and others who saw RA play today are right that his use at the 5 is not going to help his development since he is a 4 but for now using him at that 5 at times and MY at the 4 will be effective based on certains teams we play. But I say playing the 4 and 5 will allow him to gain valuable in game mins to solidify his place on the evolving team.

RAs stat line does not reflect all he did today but I for one enjoyed his defensive performance. The main area he affected was the rebounding. Not what he rebounded but what his presence allowed SLU to outrebound Lasalle in the 2nd half. That kid always has his body on bigs which allows others a chance to collect the loose boards. We do not box out well but his big body allows our guys time to get easy boards. That is where his main contribution was this afternoon. Stats do not always tell the story.

Either way thanks for the win boys. Lets get another one.

Pistol and others who saw RA play today are right that his use at the 5 is not going to help his development since he is a 4 but for now using him at that 5 at times and MY at the 4 will be effective based on certains teams we play. But I say playing the 4 and 5 will allow him to gain valuable in game mins to solidify his place on the evolving team.

RAs stat line does not reflect all he did today but I for one enjoyed his defensive performance. The main area he affected was the rebounding. Not what he rebounded but what his presence allowed SLU to outrebound Lasalle in the 2nd half. That kid always has his body on bigs which allows others a chance to collect the loose boards. We do not box out well but his big body allows our guys time to get easy boards. That is where his main contribution was this afternoon. Stats do not always tell the story.

Either way thanks for the win boys. Lets get another one.

I was at the game and totally agree on Reggie. A lot of energy and great defense. He may have had only 3 rebounds but he kept a lot alive for others to get.

I think all of the freshman have shown dramatic improvement since the first game. I can't understand how some can't see it. We dont win without Jolly's effort today. His best game.

Manning rolled his ankle in practice and was more or less unavailable today. I think Jolly had his best game as a Billiken, not because of the box score, but because of his defense. He and Reggie were playing the best interior defense I have seen this year.