Is Coach Crews The Answer?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ACE's troll meter has been refined by several years of meeting real life trolls that live under that bridge where he collects cans. It's damn near infallible. Hes like the Billikens.com Kobe Bryant.

And I agree with docb. I remember being in a group project with a certain alliterative initialed power forward in the early mid 2000's who could barely read let alone show up for class. His effort rolled over to his floor time.

ACE's troll meter has been refined by several years of meeting real life trolls that live under that bridge where he collects cans. It's damn near infallible. Hes like the Billikens.com Kobe Bryant.

And I agree with docb. I remember being in a group project with a certain alliterative initialed power forward in the early mid 2000's who could barely read let alone show up for class. His effort rolled over to his floor time.

Had a guard in 2006-7 in my group for a project. Didn't contibute a single letter to the paper. What did I do?....... Put his name on it and turned it in.

To Clock, I think making the dance next year's a stretch, and a trip to the NIT is a reasonable expectation. You can't compare this squad to the 11-12 squad just because we think this year's FR are similar to the class of DE, JJ, MM, et al. Remember, they had KM come back to go along w/ a well developed Conk and CE, Now if AY makes strides, RA comes on like Conk, and the other two Sophs suddenly show us a lot more... maybe. And that assumes the FR all develop nicely. There will also be a learning curve in their for Neufeld and Wellmer as well. Too many ifs in there for me to say a dance invite is in the cards for '15-16.

The real metric for JC, which should translate to W's, is how good his recruiting is thru the class of '17. Hopefully, Neufeld and Wellmer show they can contribute like this year's FR have. The 16 class, leaving out JT, will have to be solid as well, because we don't want anymore gap years where we have to rebuild like we're doing this season. The 16 class would be Sophs when our current crop of FR are Seniors who should be a dance team if all goes as forecast. We'd then have a succession plan, which we didn't have going into this year. We're stuttering now because the upperclassmen aren't playing as well as expected. Give JC a pass on the SO class because he wasn't leading the program until late September. At the time we didn't know what to make of MC, thought TL might be a good get, and were all very high on RA and AY (transfer). So far these are the guys that have yet to step up, but it's still to early to just write them off as busts.

'72 In the past, we have had guys who just flat out could not play D1 basketball and could not be counted on to carry any of the load for us. All we could do was "Wait for next year... " Good or bad, RM got rid of our upperclassmen upon his arrival and we were, in large part b/c of RM's own doing, the youngest team in college basketball. Jim Crews does NOT have such players now. Our Sophs can play the game of basketball. Same with Ash. And McBroom needs to be used correctly. Set some screens for them. Use them properly now. Give them confidence. We are NOT in a situation where we have to start from scratch and grow with out Frosh for 2 more years before we can make the Dance. We looked horrible against Santa Clara 2 years ago. This year is not over. We need guys like Ash to be coached up now and play this year. Our Sophs need coaching now with defined roles to succeed this year. I am not writing them off or this year. Winning the A10 conference championship is still possible this year!!

Sure, let's work on our recruiting for 2016 and 2017 but we have talent right now. I have seen Crawford and Tanner shoot last year year. They are capable of way more than what we have seen so far.

My computer was DOA for the past week, so I have not been posting. The WSU game was a game that we were almost certainly going to lose. SLU cannot play a team ranked in the top 20 with a team of mostly freshmen players and win unless a real miracle happens. This is something that does not happen frequently. As is was, and despite our loss, I thought our guys played reasonably well and gave their best effort. I believe they have noticeably improved in the few games they have played so far. And what the hell, losing a game like this one was, is a real teaching exercise for our kids. They need to know there are teams like WSU out there and they need to experience what they can do to us. They need to get a first hand appreciation of how much they must improve before they reach WSU's level of play. That said, I much prefer to praise our kids for their efforts during this game than to go around witch hunting for someone to blame. Again I believe it would have been a miracle for us to beat WSU in a road trip at this stage of development of our team. They have talent, lots of it, they need time and experience (which they are getting, both good and bad) in order to develop and mature.

'72 In the past, we have had guys who just flat out could not play D1 basketball and could not be counted on to carry any of the load for us. All we could do was "Wait for next year... " Good or bad, RM got rid of our upperclassmen upon his arrival and we were, in large part b/c of RM's own doing, the youngest team in college basketball. Jim Crews does NOT have such players now. Our Sophs can play the game of basketball. Same with Ash. And McBroom needs to be used correctly. Set some screens for them. Use them properly now. Give them confidence. We are NOT in a situation where we have to start from scratch and grow with out Frosh for 2 more years before we can make the Dance. We looked horrible against Santa Clara 2 years ago. This year is not over. We need guys like Ash to be coached up now and play this year. Our Sophs need coaching now with defined roles to succeed this year. I am not writing them off or this year. Winning the A10 conference championship is still possible this year!!

Sure, let's work on our recruiting for 2016 and 2017 but we have talent right now. I have seen Crawford and Tanner shoot last year year. They are capable of way more than what we have seen so far.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Clocktower: I agree; I think some readers on here may be pleasantly surprised at how good we are by the end of THIS year. Again, I could be wrong. And to be perfectly honest, I've been disappointed somewhat so far -- but I AM patient. The talents is so rich and diverse in this group. As for NEXT year -- definitely will be tough to beat in the A10.

In general, I'm amused at the sky is falling attitude so many on here have been projecting about a team, overloaded with freshmen all getting big minutes, that has not quite gelled yet. Duh. It's just funny to me. hang in there, Billiken fans. good days are coming, possibly sooner than you think.

Meanwhile, and as I said, grab a cold adult beverage, it's almost Christmas...

Come on, no need to hide behind anonymity if you are going to initial initials. This is clearly either Justin Johnson or Izik Izanon.

What is with you guys? ACE? I didn't know this board existed in those days and enjoyed every minute of the last 3 years. I found out about the board because someone on STLTODAY said that this is where all the homers were... At that point I tried to make an ID and apparently I had one so at one time I guess I did know this was here but never posted. That was it. What is with the venom from you people. I just don't like seeing our guys getting blown off the floor, and I questioned crews a little last year especially in last years WSU game which he sort've botched.

unfrozencavemanlawyer.jpg

Clocktower: I agree; I think some readers on here may be pleasantly surprised at how good we are by the end of THIS year. Again, I could be wrong. And to be perfectly honest, I've been disappointed somewhat so far -- but I AM patient. The talents is so rich and diverse in this group. As for NEXT year -- definitely will be tough to beat in the A10.

In general, I'm amused at the sky is falling attitude so many on here have been projecting about a team, overloaded with freshmen all getting big minutes, that has not quite gelled yet. Duh. It's just funny to me. hang in there, Billiken fans. good days are coming, possibly sooner than you think.

I'm not in the sky is falling group at all. But to deny that our Sophs, AY, and w/o a doubt, JM have been disappointing so far is to be in denial. Going into the season I really thought TL would be a solid starter, MC a real sniper type, and RA a more talented GG who needed some rough edges sanded. So far, RA's the best of the bunch. And, from hearing that AY was our best player in practices last year, I was really high on him being a double digit ppg man. Maybe it's just that all the pieces haven't been put together, which is understandable, but those 4 players are still questions when we thought they'd be answers. Still early, gentlemen.

Some of you guys are delusional.

SLU won the A10 regular season twice and tournament, recently. That was the first time to win the tourney since 2000. First time to win the regular season since 1971.

A10 Coach of the Year 13, 14

Sporting News and NABC National Coach of the year 13

#1 Recruit in the Country has SLU on his short-list.

So far he's doing what many on this board wanted him to do, play everyone.

Had we just won that Corpus Christi game, I'd be fairly content right now.

Some of you guys are delusional.

SLU won the A10 regular season twice and tournament, recently. That was the first time to win the tourney since 2000. First time to win the regular season since 1971.

A10 Coach of the Year 13, 14

Sporting News and NABC National Coach of the year 13

#1 Recruit in the Country has SLU on his short-list.

So far he's doing what many on this board wanted him to do, play everyone.

These selected facts make Crews look a lot better than I think he really is, however, I think most will agree that he hasn't done anything to merit him being sacked. No more Corpus Christi games though.