Is Coach Crews The Answer?

mrjoelabs

Hey guys, long-time listener, first time caller... Even though I'm a life-long Billiken fan (because I've said so) I was nowhere to be found on this board during the greatest three-year run in the modern era of Billiken basketball. I didn't share in the conference championships, the NCAA Tournament victories, the 19 game winning streak, the national rankings with the rest of the board. I feel compelled now to make my first post with the provocative headline "Is Coach Crews the Answer?" I wasn't around on the board to raise these questions when Crews was winning National Coach of the Year awards. No, I wait until a few bad performances to raise this question. I'm not just here to stir up trouble, I'm genuinely concerned about this. I wear diapers. I just don't remember blowouts like this, even though I have been a Billiken fan my whole life. Man, this is even worse than the Soderberg era. I don't remember games like this back then (must have been pooping in his diapers when Sodie's squad got dominated by SEMO) It's just all falling apart guys. It's really difficult to find a place to talk SLU hoops. The sky is falling. Looking like a patsy.

This question may be fair to ask at some point, but not less than 10 games into the season, and most definitely not asked by somebody's who starts a thread like this with their first post. Don't take the bait.

What do you think Ace? Posty? Another old troll? Someone new?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your deal man? I have no quarrel with anyone here. Chill out. And I don't usually sit that low generally up top. School teachers get paid crap unfortunately. Last time I sat down there was the CBI against VCU when they pretty much were giving tickets away. I think I was 4 off the floor it was great.

You can't just post a question like that with your first post. You have to understand that people have been communicating on this board for over 10 years. This a community within a community with its own rules and norms and you can't just jump in with hey our coach sucks. The posts aimed at you that seem over the top are just inside jokes. My suggestion, try joining in with gameday threads first and go from there.

Why do you not give Crews credit for last year? Did the seniors coach themselves throughout the season? I highly doubt that.

So what you're saying is Crews should be fired if the team doesn't perform this season or next? Not attacking your post, just inquiring.

I do think the seniors did a lot of coaching themselves last year. Crews is a great leader. We'll see how good of a coach he is. His track record is far from impressive but he's in a better situation with better resources than he's ever had. I'm impressed with this freshmen class.

Crews deserves at least this year and next. But I don't think it's unfair to question him. The 2010-2011 team made big strides even from November to February. I expect to see at least that this year.

I also cannot take the coaching staff (this isn't all on Crews) seriously when Manning leads us in minutes. I'm sorry to keep ragging on the guy, but him leading the team in minutes did nothing to help us that game and does nothing to help the development of the younger guys. This team isn't going anywhere outside of winning in Brooklyn. If you have to hurt some feelings of some of the older guys, then so be it.

Let the kids play. A coach can only do so much for the team. The players have to get experience and develop themselves. But I still don't want the staff to stunt the development of this class (like you could argue they did last year). The freshmen are getting a lot of minutes, but I'd like to see them get even more.

What is your deal man? I have no quarrel with anyone here. Chill out. And I don't usually sit that low generally up top. School teachers get paid crap unfortunately. Last time I sat down there was the CBI against VCU when they pretty much were giving tickets away. I think I was 4 off the floor it was great.

You should come on down to 108. There are plenty of empties these days and the worst you'll get from Backhand is maybe some wardrobe and fitness tips.

You can't just post a question like that with your first post. You have to understand that people have been communicating on this board for over 10 years. This a community within a community with its own rules and norms and you can't just jump in with hey our coach sucks. The posts aimed at you that seem over the top are just inside jokes. My suggestion, try joining in with gameday threads first and go from there.If

If you would of joined @ this time 2 years ago your post might of got lost in other anti Crews threads. Do a little research on old threads from that time and you may feel less abused. That said, this is a tough room but if you want total Bill's hoops this is pretty much it. You need thick skin and selectively short memory to be a mbm.

A few thoughts:

-I amazes me in seeing the reactions to Saturday's game how little credit some want to give WSU. They are a top 10 team for a reason. I honestly don't know that last years Billikens win that game.

-Gregg Marshall is a hell of a coach. I'm willing to say better than Crews. In fact when RM first took his leave and this board was discussing successors other than Crews, Marshall is a name that more than one of us brought up.

-In general, I have little problem with how Crews is coaching this team. Even his use of Manning. My one concern is that I don't feel we've seen much improvement from any front court players with this staff. Going from a coach that was known for developing bigs to this...worries me.

-Even after his time with Villanova, Ash strikes me as a guy used to being the big fish in a small pond. Very concerned with his ability to contribute come conference play.

-Crawford seems like the only soph that understands the defense. Another big worry.

Duke. 40-16. At half.

It was brutal. Did you watch it?

The last 8 minutes of the first half of that game was brutal. The rest was, if anything, not as bad as everyone at the time was fearing.

The WSU game was pretty brutal all the way through, outside that brief stretch where the freshmen closed to within 25.

There have been quite a few blowouts in recent memory to top teams--the Gonzaga game was just as brutal as either Duke or WSU. Neither of the above can compare to some of the other debacles mentioned here--ie, SEMO at home, @Kent State, @GW, etc.

unless you are truly a blue chip stud and get into a place like the WILD-cats of Kentucky, it behooves one to attend class occasionally and even read something now and then--or, to get truly unfair and demanding, to expect a kid to write a paper at above a 8th grade level. Severe academic demands, that is. these are just general comments, no names involved here; but believe me when I say not all Division 1 athletes --not even at SLU during my career here, have figured this much out yet. Failure to do even this much constitutes, in my professional judgment, a red flag, attitude-wise. By the way: "Unfair" is a deeply serious charge among students, these days...

Thanks for this bonehead of a thread, it made my day on one of the busiest days of the semester. what's the subject line again? o yeh -- is JC the answer?? Answer to what? what's the question, anyway??? 3 words DUDE: 5 year contract. have a bloody mary or screwdriver or something; it's almost Christmas!

Seriously, for this turgid, pretentious, banal, hypocritical, flaccid, inane, pompous, cringeworthy, incongruous, disingenuous, stinking, steaming excuse for a real question (assuming it truly is serious): I nominate you as the 2014 message board moron MVP.

unless you are truly a blue chip stud and get into a place like the WILD-cats of Kentucky, it behooves one to attend class occasionally and even read something now and then--or, to get truly unfair and demanding, to expect a kid to write a paper at above a 8th grade level. Severe academic demands, that is. these are just general comments, no names involved here; but believe me when I say not all Division 1 athletes --not even at SLU during my career here, have figured this much out yet. Failure to do even this much constitutes, in my professional judgment, a red flag, attitude-wise. By the way: "Unfair" is a deeply serious charge among students, these days...

Thanks for this bonehead of a thread, it made my day on one of the busiest days of the semester. what's the subject line again? o yeh -- is JC the answer?? Answer to what? what's the question, anyway??? 3 words DUDE: 5 year contract. have a bloody mary or screwdriver or something; it's almost Christmas!

Seriously, for this turgid, pretentious, banal, hypocritical, flaccid, inane, pompous, cringeworthy, incongruous, disingenuous, stinking, steaming excuse for a real question (assuming it truly is serious): I nominate you as the 2014 message board moron MVP.

may have chance at rare double ROY and MVP.

Hard knocks.