2010-2011 Comparison

slufan13

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Crews had missed the Tournament last year with all the talent we had, it wouldn't have been fair to criticize him?

I like Crews. I was actually most worried about his ability to recruit but early indications say that this class will be pretty good.He's also doing a better job than Majerus did of staying active in the media and building relationships with the local people. But his track record isn't overly impressive and I think he deserves criticism if he can't get us back to the top of the A10 by next year. He inherited a much better situation than Majerus did

Wrong on Conklin - he showed promise as a freshman and sophomore - his problem was injuries. The injuries are what slowed him down both years. Was he injury prone - apparently not since his last two years were just fine in that regards. GG - he has been injured now 3 years in a row. A different situation.

Majerus was a great coach; However his recruiting left something to be desired. I suspect his energy was tapped out and he relied more on word of mouth from others to help recruit. His classes which gave us our current Junior and Senior classes are not to the caliber of last years seniors. His Class of Evans, Loe, McCall, and Jett was his best class. Conklin was a solid recruit, but it took him some time to really produce. Next year we have two players coming in, and the following class will play a huge role in determining the stability of the program. Last years team became better with time, hard work, and I am sure that will happen with this years group. However I would like to see each subsequent recruit add to the talent pool, so that when these six freshman Graduate, there are players ready to takeover.

Since Neufeld is coming out of the same prep school that Nurger (Whicita state) went to, I am hopeful he can come in and give meaningful minutes. Welmer appears also to be a skilled player with complimentary talent to this class.

My comment had nothing to do with Glaze being compared to Conklin. Being injured was not the only reason Conklin did not show much. He just did not play well and he was not injured all of his first two years. If you go back and read some of the comments when he was a sophomore you will see how many posters were disappointed with his play.

It's certainly fair to criticize Crews this season. However, maybe not 7 games into the season with a 4-3 record. At this point there are some concerning things and there are some positive things. It is my hope that, as the season progresses, the pendulum will swing and the positives will start to outweigh the negatives. If not, Crews will certainly have to shoulder some of the blame.

Seven games with a very inexperienced young team that lost all five starters.

Some of you are out of line, get off Crew's back. Stop it.

+1 some of you forget the dark years. We knew this was coming. Success doesn't come without hard work

I agree, it was his choice the way the spots were filled, but its tough to get class balance in two years when he inherited such a top heavy team.[/quote

Other than the freshman class, Crews didn't chose to construct his roster this way. He had nothing to do with the lack of a decent core of upperclassmen. The first group he signed he had a month to work on, part of which he hadn't even been signed on as head coach. He was scrambling and desperately needing bodies on the roster. Crews can't be judged until this years freshmen are juniors. Then it will be his roster and his team.

I agree

Save your judgment for another year! Although the game was disappointing there are many lessons to be learned from this loss that we did not see in the Miss State loss.

I have had chance to watch the game twice today and we were simply outhustled and forced into bad decisions. Although we see this it is up to JC and staff to incorporate the answers to this puzzle in everything they do in terms of preparation.

Yes, WSU was hungrier maybe angry but we let them dictate the game in two areas that killed us; rebounds (off.) and defensive commitment. Those two areas have been our calling card in the past but this current group does not understand or has not been given the tools to make these things a do or die situation in all games. When this group starts to believe and live by that they will become a formidable group to face. What I see is so so defense, no boxing out by committee, no concerted effort to hit the glass hard. Seems like there is push to pay offense though. We have very good offensive players but the defense is what is where our main problem is. If we can solve that it will interpret into a bunch of offensive rebounds. Seems like a recipe WSU has mastered and we are getting schooled with. I am still impressed with the Billikids and how they are growing but see this as the main priority for the staff. If players cannot buy into this then they do not play..period.

Rebounding and defense don't happen overnight. Not saying you said it but there seems to be a thought that it's mostly effort and that is completely wrong. Of course effort and determination play a large part, but if you don't understand technique and positioning to the point that it is instinct and requires little to no thought you will not be a good defender unless you just completely dominate a person or team physically. It takes time. It's not that they don't understand or aren't being given the tools, it's a process and I'm sure they are working towards being good defenders and rebounders

Save your judgment for another year! Although the game was disappointing there are many lessons to be learned from this loss that we did not see in the Miss State loss.

I have had chance to watch the game twice today and we were simply outhustled and forced into bad decisions. Although we see this it is up to JC and staff to incorporate the answers to this puzzle in everything they do in terms of preparation.

Yes, WSU was hungrier maybe angry but we let them dictate the game in two areas that killed us; rebounds (off.) and defensive commitment. Those two areas have been our calling card in the past but this current group does not understand or has not been given the tools to make these things a do or die situation in all games. When this group starts to believe and live by that they will become a formidable group to face. What I see is so so defense, no boxing out by committee, no concerted effort to hit the glass hard. Seems like there is push to pay offense though. We have very good offensive players but the defense is what is where our main problem is. If we can solve that it will interpret into a bunch of offensive rebounds. Seems like a recipe WSU has mastered and we are getting schooled with. I am still impressed with the Billikids and how they are growing but see this as the main priority for the staff. If players cannot buy into this then they do not play..period.

We ranked 268th in offensive rebound percentage last season and 296th two seasons ago. Offensive rebounding hasn't been our calling card. We have been awful at it for multiple seasons.

We ranked 268th in offensive rebound percentage last season and 296th two seasons ago. Offensive rebounding hasn't been our calling card. We have been awful at it for multiple seasons.

We were 211th in the country in '12, that is our best showing this century.

It's certainly fair to criticize Crews this season. However, maybe not 7 games into the season with a 4-3 record. At this point there are some concerning things and there are some positive things. It is my hope that, as the season progresses, the pendulum will swing and the positives will start to outweigh the negatives. If not, Crews will certainly have to shoulder some of the blame.

I am glad someone else thinks this. Apparently its not fair for me to though as I am getting blasted on my thread.

How can you be good at offensive rebounding when the philosophy is to drop most of the players back on D after a shot rather than crash the boards? To be clear, I am not criticizing the strategy. There are trade offs every team must make -- if you crash the offensive glass, you are exposed to fast break points and uncontested 3-point shots.

How can you be good at offensive rebounding when the philosophy is to drop most of the players back on D after a shot rather than crash the boards? To be clear, I am not criticizing the strategy. There are trade offs every team must make -- if you crash the offensive glass, you are exposed to fast break points and uncontested 3-point shots.

I agree with that. I was just pointing that offensive rebounding was never our calling card as claimed.

I think the rebounding problem has often been overrated on this board. Our defensive rebounding percentage has plummeted this year and that is a huge concern, but that was never our calling card either.

The defensive rebounding is more concerning. The philosophy in place is not going to lead to a lot of offensive rebounds...but when the signature feature of your team is tough defense forcing jump shots, it is imperative that nobody gets offensive rebounds against you.

That said, there's time for development. Just hope it is confined to one season.

-my main goal for this season is to see improvement, are we better on Dec 8th than we were on Nov 8th

-I am not sure I can judge this at this point in an unbiased way as WSU game where we got it handed to us is still real fresh

-guessing the players will be off Dec 23-26 with practice resuming on Dec 27, just a guess, as not sure how much can be done now with a roster of 6 frosh taking their first college finals, so Vandy might be next time to see an upward trend