A STAR IS BORN

almaman

Why would object to someone wishing a dead person rest in peace? He took no position - everybody just needs to chill out.

Mods. There is no need for comments -- good or bad -- regarding Michael Brown. This Board is for Billiken basketball only. No politics, no religion, no controversial topics. In short, once someone opens the door with a seemingly innocent comment, someone will respond with a contrary thought or opinion and then we are spiraling down.

And BTW, there is a reason that only 2,000 Billiken fans attended tonight's game and it had nothing to do with Thanksgiving.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would object to someone wishing a dead person rest in peace? He took no position - everybody just needs to chill out.

Cheese

I wasn't denying the resting in peace of anyone, don't know how you deduced that... But Clock is right, this is a basketball board. That direct reference to the case has no place here.

People who whine to mods to delete innocuous posts or BAN people they don't like are the absolute worst posters on the Internet.

Even the most egregious trolls are stirring the pot to some degree, and often times the "troll" label gets pinned to anyone who consistently shares an unpopular point of view.

Get some thicker skin and learn not to take the bait every time.

Great performance by Miles. It was nice to see some senior leadership by John also in the last 7-8 minutes. 4 boards, 3 blocks, altered many shot attempts... he could be a kwaMan-ning of a different flavor... ;-)

Manning was aggressive during that last stretch, which was nice to see. He was one of the guys who made some big plays to turn the game around. Also have to credit McBroom for hitting some shots and FTs down the stretch - the kid can shoot.

Miles showed us what this team has been missing: a will to dominate. No one has been consistently assertive for this team, and against a zone this becomes especially apparent. Someone has to make a drive/pass to open it up and Miles was the only person willing to put pressure on the defense by attacking the hoop. He has a great first step and isn't afraid of contact, the moment, or anything else, really. Hopefully his confidence and aggression infect everyone else. Miles is still a freshman and will have games where he doesn't have the same kind of impact, but it's nice to know that he won't back down from a challenge. Ideally the other young guys learn from his game that they can step up and make things happen; stop deferring and start attacking.

I've been a member here for over 10 years. You should be removed for this language alone. Unprovoked attack. Now, Miles had a great finish to the game. I insisted all along that Miles is a pg and Marcus is a sg, Roby can play both

Just stop with the accusations and diversions and talk about the game. Jesus. Not singling you out here either...

Anyway, you really think Marcus is a two?? If anything, the start of the season has made me more positive that he's a 1. He can create for others and make good passes, but doesn't have a scorers instinct or a great shot. Has good enough handles and very good vision. I'd actually say he's the truest pg we have. Roby is a skilled wing, who I'd trust to run the point in a pinch. Miles is a combo guard in the way the Kwamain, Jett, and McCall were. And Austin is an undersized 2.

Manning was aggressive during that last stretch, which was nice to see. He was one of the guys who made some big plays to turn the game around. Also have to credit McBroom for hitting some shots and FTs down the stretch - the kid can shoot.

Miles showed us what this team has been missing: a will to dominate. No one has been consistently assertive for this team, and against a zone this becomes especially apparent. Someone has to make a drive/pass to open it up and Miles was the only person willing to put pressure on the defense by attacking the hoop. He has a great first step and isn't afraid of contact, the moment, or anything else, really. Hopefully his confidence and aggression infect everyone else. Miles is still a freshman and will have games where he doesn't have the same kind of impact, but it's nice to know that he won't back down from a challenge. Ideally the other young guys learn from his game that they can step up and make things happen; stop deferring and start attacking.

Improved screens / picks by ALL big men... still too much perimeter passing, but i saw improvement. The drive / dish is an effective weapon, which means more crashing the o boards... (by all). I concur, a team work in progress, and it would be tough to get worse.

Freshman can be fearless (case in point, Miles), but can also play like one year removed from HS... (lol, we've seen this too)

McBroom needs to accept his limitations and not try to do it all. Manning should be more active to get more minutes. Crews should realize (check that, he does, but should execute) he can play two big men at same time (i.e. - Jolly / Manning) for short periods of time.

Love the confidence in this quote from Miles in the PD story:

“This isn’t the first time,” Reynolds said. “Last year the same thing happened in our (high school) city tournament. I got stitched up at halftime and did the exact thing as tonight. ... I don’t know what it is with the stitches or this big bandage on my head, but every time it happens I’m just on attack mode.”

What got into to Manning at the end of the game last night? I have never seen him play with such aggressiveness. It was like he just all of sudden figured out what he has to do in a game. A & T wasn't exactly talented up front, but it was still nice to see.

The calls to ban "political" talk are never applied consistently, that's why they have little credibility. Just once I would like to see one of the ban political talk crusaders say, "I agree with your point of view, but to be consistent, let's stay away from the political talk." That never happens. It only happens when somebody expresses a different point of view.

Clutch performance by Reynolds. He's earned more playing time. The kid just seems like a winner and that is the impression I had of him after following his HS career. In the spirit of this discussion, I will not mention that his father is friends with our President. ;)

The calls to ban "political" talk are never applied consistently, that's why they have little credibility. Just once I would like to see one of the ban political talk crusaders say, "I agree with your point of view, but to be consistent, let's stay away from the political talk." That never happens. It only happens when somebody expresses a different point of view.

Clutch performance by Reynolds. He's earned more playing time. The kid just seems like a winner and that is the impression I had of him after following his HS career. In the spirit of this discussion, I will not mention that his father is friends with our President. ;)

He was trolling, but if it bothers someone they should just ignore it. The comment isn't offensive, so let it stay.

What got into to Manning at the end of the game last night? I have never seen him play with such aggressiveness. It was like he just all of sudden figured out what he has to do in a game. A & T wasn't exactly talented up front, but it was still nice to see.

We were in a death spiral and after a timeout down the stretch, we all saw Manning come out. We were all wondering about that, the remarks were that Crews put him in there with who we assumed are our best shot to win, is that wise? It was.

Manning played at a different level of intensity, purpose and power than we had seen from him.

Reynolds was the star but Manning also made the difference, he clearly contributed to our come from behind win. I wonder if he can continue this, we need him to be a factor on "D", intimidate / alter shots, bang some bodies, get some rebounds... scoring a few points is secondary but helpful.

Miles had a great finish to the game. I insisted all along that Miles is a pg and Marcus is a sg, Roby can play both

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Reynolds is a PG and Bartley isn't? Reynolds, for all his grit in singlehandedly winning this game in the last 10 minutes for us last night, still has really loose handles. Bartley, in my limited viewings, seems to have a purer guard instinct and incredible floor vision. Personally, I have them both pegged as PGs in the long term. Both seem to have a good grasp of defending the point, albeit still need experience at this level.

Roby also could have that ability, but if the other two continue to develop, he shouldn't have to run the point.

We were in a death spiral and after a timeout down the stretch, we all saw Manning come out. We were all wondering about that, the remarks were that Crews put him in there with who we assumed are our best shot to win, is that wise? It was.

Manning played at a different level of intensity, purpose and power than we had seen from him.

Reynolds was the star but Manning also made the difference, he clearly contributed to our come from behind win. I wonder if he can continue this, we need him to be a factor on "D", intimidate / alter shots, bang some bodies, get some rebounds... scoring a few points is secondary but helpful.

I believe someone reported on Twitter that one of the NCAT players was trash talking Manning. Maybe it got him fired up. He definitely looked like a different player than he had in the previous three games.

I believe someone reported on Twitter that one of the NCAT players was trash talking Manning. Maybe it got him fired up. He definitely looked like a different player than he had in the previous three games.

That can't be. Haven't we been told on this board that the players are just college kids and very sensitive to criticism? ;)

Agreed. The over-the-top reaction by DW--which didn't even contribute to the conversation, as the original post did--was comical. Chill out.

I agree Roby may be the one to lose his spot in the starting lineup now, at least for a while. Minus Reynolds, that might have been the absolute worst team performance I have ever seen, and it also might have been the most pathetic crowd I've seen at Chaifetz. The Wiz's line about still beating an F team on a bad night was about to take a big blow. It looked for a while like we could not just lose that one, but lose bad.

Crews praised Manning in the post game show for setting the screen that freed McBroom for his last 3.