So, we're getting a new President tomorrow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas of who this is? I met Kauffman and he seemed like a good dude

Kaufman is not eligible for the position.

In NYC at the Chaifetz-hosted reception Kaufmann all but said it would not be a Jesuit

That would seem to make sense. Now is not the best time for a Jesuit president

Fred Pestello, former president of Le Moyne College (?) in Syracuse, NY. (So, not what I'd call an elite athletics program. But next door to one?) Was previously faculty/provost at Dayton.

Gotta admit the resume doesn't really jump off the page to me. But, with that said, I wish him all the best. Let's get to the next level in both academics and athletics, President Pestello.

Dear SLU Faculty, Staff and Students,

It is my pleasure to announce that Dr. Fred Pestello has been named the 33rd president of Saint Louis University by the Board of Trustees. He will take office on July 1, 2014.

Yesterday evening, the Board voted to appoint Dr. Pestello after a nationwide search that began last fall. He was the unanimous first choice of the Presidential Search Committee.

Dr. Pestello was formally introduced to the SLU community this morning during a special event in Busch Student Center. Later today, he will attend receptions at 1:30 p.m. in the Shanahan Atrium of Cook Hall, and 3:30 p.m. in the Doisy College/Allied Health Building Third Floor Multipurpose Room at the Medical Center. Both receptions are open to all faculty, staff and students. I hope you will attend.

Dr. Pestello, a Roman Catholic, is Jesuit educated and has spent his entire 30-year career in Catholic higher education. He is currently the president of fellow Jesuit institution Le Moyne College in Syracuse, New York, where he has served as president since 2008.

Prior to his appointment at Le Moyne, Dr. Pestello was provost and senior vice president for educational affairs at the University of Dayton, where he spent 24 years. While there, he also served as a professor of sociology, chairman of the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work, and associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Dr. Pestello’s Jesuit roots extend to his undergraduate education at John Carroll University, which he calls a “transformative experience” that laid the foundation for his future. He received his master’s degree in sociology from the University of Akron and his doctorate in sociology from the University of Akron-Kent State University joint Ph.D. program in 1985.

I am very pleased that our next president fully understands and embraces SLU’s Jesuit mission. During the search process, it also was clear that Dr. Pestello has long admired Saint Louis University and was eager to be our next leader.

Dr. Pestello’s tenure as president of Le Moyne has been highlighted by strong leadership and a commitment to collaboration, inclusiveness, diversity, transparency and shared governance. He led a successful and highly collaborative strategic visioning and planning process that included more than 100 members of the Le Moyne campus community.

Among his many achievements at Le Moyne are record enrollments, increased student retention, a strengthening of academic and student life experiences, improved rankings, new and renovated academic buildings, and completion of a successful capital campaign that nearly doubled its goal.

In Syracuse, Dr. Pestello serves on the board of CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity and an advisory council for St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, among many other appointments. Regionally, he serves on the New York Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities, and the Central New York Regional Economic Development Council. Nationally, he has served on board of the American Council on Education’s Commission on Effective Leadership, and is a current member of the Council of Independent Colleges’ board of directors.

With his appointment, Dr. Pestello will become the first permanent lay president of Saint Louis University. I know he is humbled and honored to follow in the footsteps of the Jesuit presidents who have led the University to the prominence it enjoys today; and he is committed to carrying on and strengthening the Jesuit mission of SLU. In fact, this is not Dr. Pestello’s first “first.” He also was the first lay president at Le Moyne. His tenure, as noted above, has been a success by every measure — especially for its strong commitment to Jesuit identity.

Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., Provincial of the Jesuits of the Missouri Province, said this about Dr. Pestello’s appointment:

“The Jesuits of the Missouri Province are very happy to welcome Fred Pestello to Saint Louis University. Father Adolfo Nicolas, the Jesuit superior general, recently urged the presidents and board chairs of all Jesuit universities to continue to develop spiritual leadership. That is precisely what Dr. Pestello has done during the past six years as president at Le Moyne. He is deeply committed to SLU’s Catholic and Jesuit mission, and we look forward to working with him.”

Dr. Pestello is married to Dr. Frances Pestello, who is a tenured faculty member in the Department of Anthropology, Criminology and Sociology at Le Moyne College. They have two adult children, daughter Vitina and son Freddie. A former volunteer with the Sisters of the Humility of Mary who served migrant farm workers in Immokalee, Fla., Vitina recently joined the staff of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, a worker-based human rights organization. Freddie is a May 2013 business/finance graduate of Le Moyne and soon will begin his career with Fidelity Investments.

We welcome the Pestello family into our SLU family, which includes more than 115,000 alumni around the world.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the members of the Presidential Search Committee for their dedication and outstanding work during the past six months. Today’s exciting announcement is testament to their commitment and the countless hours they spent on the search. I absolutely believe the process we followed was essential to finding the best possible candidates and, ultimately, our new president.

I would like to give special thanks to Search Committee Chair and Trustee Jim Smith. Devotion may not be a strong enough word to describe Jim’s leadership of this search; he truly lived and breathed this effort, and for that we are all very grateful. And to all of the Search Committee members, a sincere thank you from the Trustees and the SLU community for a job well done.

I also want to thank Interim President Bill Kauffman for his leadership and tireless efforts to keep the University moving forward since his appointment in September 2013. When he took the interim position, Bill made it clear that his overarching goal was to put SLU in the best possible position for the next president. He has achieved that goal in every way, and his passion for our University is evident in everything he has done. Bill already is working to make the transition as seamless as possible. I know that all of you join me in thanking Bill for giving so much of himself for Saint Louis University.

As I said when we began the search process, the hiring of a new president is the most important thing the Board of Trustees will ever do. With the election of Dr. Fred Pestello as SLU’s 33rd president, the Board has succeeded by choosing a proven leader who is committed to Jesuit education, academic excellence and collaboration at all levels. Throughout his career, Dr. Pestello has a demonstrated history of success and growth, which I am confident he will continue at SLU.

On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I thank every member of the SLU community who supported this process, provided input and kept the University moving forward. I know Dr. Pestello looks forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Today, we begin a new chapter in SLU’s remarkable history — now almost 200 years — and I am supremely confident we have chosen the best person to lead the University to even greater heights in the years ahead.

Sincerely,

J. Joe Adorjan

Chairman

Board of Trustees

Wow...I thought we'd hire a candidate with a little more prestige. LeMoyne was ranked #24 in the USNWR for Regional Universities (North). For reference, Villanova is #1 in the same category. He's got a difficult job ahead of him.

So is Le Moyne or Dayton the good athletic program?

I figured that whoever leaked that tidbit of info was probably not a big sports fan, and thus the 'good athletic program' was going to be highly subjective

Wow...I thought we'd hire a candidate with a little more prestige. LeMoyne was ranked #24 in the USNWR for Regional Universities (North). For reference, Villanova is #1 in the same category. He's got a difficult job ahead of him.

Admittedly not a "name" hire, but when looking him up it looks like a pretty solid get.

Excelled at fundraising, moving up the academic ranks, and committed to athletics. Ill take it

Fred Pestello, former president of Le Moyne College (?) in Syracuse, NY. (So, not what I'd call an elite athletics program. But next door to one?) Was previously faculty/provost at Dayton.

Gotta admit the resume doesn't really jump off the page to me. But, with that said, I wish him all the best. Let's get to the next level in both academics and athletics, President Pestello.

Well, they did beat the 'cuse once. So, he has that going for him: http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=4620949&src=desktop

Admittedly not a "name" hire, but when looking him up it looks like a pretty solid get.

Excelled at fundraising, moving up the academic ranks, and committed to athletics. Ill take it

And he did all of that at a much smaller University with fewer resources. Let's see what kinds of things he can do at SLU

Well I have to admit, I was hoping for someone with a little bit more of a background and resume (especially since the dude is not a Jesuit). Admittedly, I dont know anything about this guy, but this feels like a bit of a let down - my goal for the University is a Top 50 academic ranking and supported basketball program, lets see how he does with that.

Well I have to admit, I was hoping for someone with a little bit more of a background and resume (especially since the dude is not a Jesuit). Admittedly, I dont know anything about this guy, but this feels like a bit of a let down - my goal for the University is a Top 50 academic ranking and supported basketball program, lets see how he does with that.

It's kind of like hiring a HC. You can take an assistant (administrator) from a big-time school, or a candidate with head coaching (presidential) experience at a smaller school.