ESPN says don't trust us... Yet

slu72

As a casual fan, if you watch our games you might notice our weaknesses, but our strengths definitely prevail. I can't blame them for not trusting us, but I'm also certain that we'll surprise them in a couple of weeks.

I think everyone and their mothers who have interest in college hoops expected us to lose to,VCWho. It was the DU loss that has put the idea that maybe we're not all that great. Hard to argue, though, with their conclusion that our TOs are killing us. Also, they should have mentioned our rebounding on opponent's misses has been lacking as well. Let's hope the DU game was just a fluke.

The whole ballgame is whether or not DE is OK. He was not himself the last several games, then we saw the obvious hip problem @ VCU. Has that been the case for the previous games? Will he be OK? We need him.

Also, again, once the kids got a big lead in the league and got into the rankings, they were prime for some letdowns... and there have been numerous letdowns across the land in NCAA D-1 this year at this time, ranked teams with little to gain (bulletin: kids on all teams do not really give a sh*t if they are seeded 3 or 4 or 5), pre conference tournament and pre NCAA's.

So I hope 1) DE is healthy again, soon, and 2) my theory about our coasting, letdown period is correct.

I am not too optimistic about tonight, I worry about DE and Dayton needs this game more that we do... Senior Night but revenge game for Dayton. If DE is hobbled, Dayton will focus on JJ. I sure wouldn't take SLU - 7.

THE KEY to our season is if DE returns to 100%, soon. I'd rest him for the U Mass game if we win tonight.

I did not see the piece on ESPN but I sure would hope that Syracuse was very high on their list. Today USA predicted that Syracuse would lose to a 15. The main thing that was concerning to me about our TO's are many of them are unforced errors that make no sense at all. A bit more concentration should cure those type of TO's. I am hoping that the practices we had since the VCU game addressed our issues. I am not throwing in the towel on this team and think another win streak is possible. Let's G Bills!!!

The elephant in the room all season has been injuries. We've been lucky all year until this point. Our two top guys heading into postseason look gassed and injured. And for christ sake make a free throw. It also wouldn't hurt if Crews would draw up a better play after two five minute tv timeouts than a rushed three point chance from Jake Barnett, a.k.a. HOT GARBAGE.

I just don't see us adjusting to what teams have started to do against us. They've take DE away via the double team and are being more aggressive with JJ by clogging the lane and forcing him to pass before he can penetrate. They're daring us to beat them from the perimeter and we can't do it consistently. I won't pretend to be a coach but under RM you could always count on us adjusting to counter what teams do well and/or what was being done against us. We were always a 2nd half team and recently we're blowing halftime leads.

To win: Defend. Rebound.

I just don't see us adjusting to what teams have started to do against us. They've take DE away via the double team and are being more aggressive with JJ by clogging the lane and forcing him to pass before he can penetrate. They're daring us to beat them from the perimeter and we can't do it consistently. I won't pretend to be a coach but under RM you could always count on us adjusting to counter what teams do well and/or what was being done against us. We were always a 2nd half team and recently we're blowing halftime leads.

To win: Defend. Rebound.

I agree, but for the first half of this season we were definitely a second half team as well. Not so much of late.

If you look at the recent Ls and the games against GM, our offense, while not great, has managed to keep up with our opponents. Also, they've been rather high scoring affairs. Maybe the problem lies on the defensive side of the ball? We've been giving up a lot of points recently, save for the VCU game. Both GM games in the 80s. UD and DU scored in the 70s. Just a thought.

If you look at the recent Ls and the games against GM, our offense, while not great, has managed to keep up with our opponents. Also, they've been rather high scoring affairs. Maybe the problem lies on the defensive side of the ball? We've been giving up a lot of points recently, save for the VCU game. Both GM games in the 80s. UD and DU scored in the 70s. Just a thought.

All aboard here. What happened to holding everyone under 60?

RickMa is turning in his grave... Not the defense he created...

To win:

Defend

Rebound

We definitely aren't rebounding and a case can be made that our defense has been slacking though I do not believe that. I do want to know what ever happened to blocking out on the defensive end. Giving up multiple chances is the most agrivating thing

Whats crazy about tje rebounding is that the other team seems to get them in bunches. The Bills will do great rebounding on the defensive end for 10 minutes then terrible for 5-10 minutes. It also seems they dont just give up 1 offensive rebound but 3 or 4 per possession. This is a problem that should be fixable but I havent seen it yet.

Whats crazy about tje rebounding is that the other team seems to get them in bunches. The Bills will do great rebounding on the defensive end for 10 minutes then terrible for 5-10 minutes. It also seems they dont just give up 1 offensive rebound but 3 or 4 per possession. This is a problem that should be fixable but I havent seen it yet.

We have a tendency to slap the ball, certain players more than others. On the offensive end this can make sense, as long as two guys are playing back. On the defensive end you go up with two hands or don't go at all. 50/50 balls are just that and we can't afford to give opposing teams more chances to score.

The point totals have a lot more to do with turnovers and the pace we play the game at now than with how well we actually play defense

Don"t disagree, but would add that our D oftentimes dictated tempo by making the opponent shoot late in the clock. Lately, when we have forced late shots, we've been giving the a new clock because of poor rebounding. See GM and DU games.