2005-06 "Streak"

Why did they play a game at family arena?

They played a few games at the Family Arena during the Soderberg years. I am guessing it was mostly due to scheduling conflicts at the Scottrade Center, but it could have been an attempt to grow the fan base the St. Charles area as well. It wasn't a bad idea when they didn't have Chaifetz. Random trivia: I believe SLU is undefeated at the Family Arena. That is obviously the best winning % of any "home" venue and it will likely stay that way.

I would like to have played that schedule this season.

+1 Gonzaga and North Carolina were both very good that year.. If we beat either Wichita State or Wisconsin I don't know if we'd be wanting a different schedule at all though

+1 Gonzaga and North Carolina were both very good that year.. If we beat either Wichita State or Wisconsin I don't know if we'd be wanting a different schedule at all though

I agree. To me the schedules are roughly the same. Iowa was also good but other than those three its no great shakes. The A-10 this year is far better than the A-10 back then. In fact, I think GW went nearly undefeated, if not undefeated, that year and ended up only an 8 seed in the dance. It was pretty close to being a one bid league if I recall.

You are correct sir.

This from Aug. 2005:

Saint Louis opens the regular season against Eastern Illinois on Tue., Nov. 22, at the St. Charles Family Arena. It is one of two games that SLU will play in St. Charles as the Bills will play an Atlantic 10 Conference game at the 10,000-seat facility in January. In their last appearance at the Family Arena, the Bills topped Iowa at the buzzer in an exciting 2004 NIT first round game.

“Savvis Center did not have the dates available that we requested and released us to play two games at the Family Arena,” Billikens director of athletics Cheryl L. Levick said. “In order to have a balanced schedule of home and away dates, the move to St. Charles was our best option. The Family Arena is an intimate setting, and the Page Avenue extension makes it easily accessible from St. Louis County.”

And yeah, Anthony Drejaj's biggest shot.

I agree. To me the schedules are roughly the same. Iowa was also good but other than those three its no great shakes. The A-10 this year is far better than the A-10 back then. In fact, I think GW went nearly undefeated, if not undefeated, that year and ended up only an 8 seed in the dance. It was pretty close to being a one bid league if I recall.

GW went undefeated in conference, but their non-conference schedule was horrible (only lost @Wake Forest). GW then went to lose in the first round of the A-10 tournament (Pops was injured) and lost in the second round of the NCAAs to Duke.

After looking at it more closely, if we were to choose between the 05/06 & 13/14 schedules to play this season, they are probably almost identical as far as SOS ranking goes. There are 12 of the same games. But i think the 05/06 has a couple more games against top teams. If you look at the top eight games, not including the 12 games on both schedules, would you choose:

Iowa

UNC

Gonzaga

X

X

St Joes

Ole Miss

Hawaii

or

Wichita St

Wisconsin

VCU

VCU

Vandy

Ind St

George Mason

Gearge Mason

Fun fact: I'm in that video.

Another fact: Soderberg always wanted to get one or two games a season out at the Family Arena. He lived in St. Charles and thought he could grow and spread out the fan base a bit. He joked that he'd give himself (and a couple of his assistants) "at least one easy commute a season."

I personally hated the idea.

Another fact: Soderberg always wanted to get one or two games a season out at the Family Arena. He lived in St. Charles and thought he could grow and spread out the fan base a bit. He joked that he'd give himself (and a couple of his assistants) "at least one easy commute a season."

Didn't know Soderberg wanted that. I understand wanting to grow the fan base, but it will only work I think for a team with sustained success.

After looking at it more closely, if we were to choose between the 05/06 & 13/14 schedules to play this season, they are probably almost identical as far as SOS ranking goes. There are 12 of the same games. But i think the 05/06 has a couple more games against top teams. If you look at the top eight games, not including the 12 games on both schedules, would you choose:

Iowa

UNC

Gonzaga

X

X

St Joes

Ole Miss

Hawaii

or

Wichita St

Wisconsin

VCU

VCU

Vandy

Ind St

George Mason

Gearge Mason

I think you get more out of RPI playing the BCS'ers. I'm going w the 05-06.

Iowa: 21

UNC: 12

Gonzaga: 34

X: 67

X: 67

St Joes: 36

Ole Miss: 142

Hawaii: 103

or

Wichita St: 8

Wisconsin: 12

VCU: 23

Vandy: 94

Ind St: 97

George Mason: 130

Gearge Mason: 130

I plugged in the Pomeroy rankings of each team above from their given year. Also, I wouldn't assume that because the other 12 are played against the same team that they are the same quality. For example, UMass is much better this year than they were in 05-06.

The end result is that according to Pomeroy our 2005-06 schedule ranked 101 while our 2013-14 has so far ranked 96th (it will likely go up as we play VCU, UMass and Dayton).

Conclusion; the two schedules are roughly the same, with the 05-06 having a better non-con and this year having a better conference slate.

I plugged in the Pomeroy rankings of each team above from their given year. Also, I wouldn't assume that because the other 12 are played against the same team that they are the same quality. For example, UMass is much better this year than they were in 05-06.

The end result is that according to Pomeroy our 2005-06 schedule ranked 101 while our 2013-14 has so far ranked 96th (it will likely go up as we play VCU, UMass and Dayton).

Conclusion; the two schedules are roughly the same, with the 05-06 having a better non-con and this year having a better conference slate.

Plug in current pomelroy rankings into both listed schedules. Im not saying play the 05/06 teams this season. Im saying play those 05/06 school's current 13/14 teams. That being said, those 12 games would be played against the same team and be of equal quality. I lean towards 05/06 schedule.

Iowa: 11

UNC: 20

Gonzaga: 32

X: 47

X: 47

St Joes: 64

Ole Miss: 80

Hawaii: 131

or

Wichita St: 8

Wisconsin: 12

Vandy: 94

Ind St: 97

George Mason: 130

Gearge Mason: 130

we got Edwardsville for that now.