DJ Fetz > Jock Jams CD > Band

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not only talking about you. It just seems that the band has an issue with the Student Section.

I agree.

I think they like when the student turnout is awful. When its packed and rocking it takes away some of the attention that they feel they should be getting.

From my personal observations, the band doesn't have any bad feelings towards the student section, but many in the band have been discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm shown by the student section at many of the games this season.

But when chaifetz is rocking (like it will be on Saturday) there is no better feeling! The idea that the band likes a bad student turnout just to garner more attention is completely wrong.

I think many of us just wish chaifetz would be loud and enthusiastic for every game, but become discouraged when many students are not. But that definitely should not be the case on Saturday, everyone I know on campus is pumped for the game!

I dont understand the hate on the band. They are great.

+1000

And I recall a lot of crappy years, incident year and several at the Scott Trade, where the band was one of the few loyal inspirations. They are volunteers and could easily walk. I think its unthinkable so many are tossing them under the bus.

I have 3 problems with the band.

1. I feel like the band tries too hard to separate themselves from the student section and they try to act like they're better than the students. Even if they are, you don't have to act like it. I know this isn't true across the board for all the band members, but I have gotten that feeling from some.

2. I just don't really like the music they play. It's not about relevant and new music. It's about music being good for a basketball game. Good for us being in a tight game with 5 mins left and playing a song to keep people pumped up. Not necessarily a song they recognize from the radio.

3. The time they chanted "overrated" when we beat Xavier 2 years ago. Worst cheer in sports. Only taking a shot at your own team. Haven't gotten over it.

The band is great. They've done a lot for SLU and they've been at all the games. I respect them for that. But IF the piped in music adds something to the atmosphere then shouldn't we let that happen? I don't want all piped in music. All band is fine because that's the way it's always been and it's never been a problem, but at least for that one game, the piped music combined with the band made for one of the best environments I've seen at Chaifetz.

Question. Do other schools just have a band or do they have piped in music too? I understand it's different because other schools might play different or better songs, but if no one else has piped in music then maybe we shouldn't either.

I have 3 problems with the band.

1. I feel like the band tries too hard to separate themselves from the student section and they try to act like they're better than the students. Even if they are, you don't have to act like it. I know this isn't true across the board for all the band members, but I have gotten that feeling from some.

2. I just don't really like the music they play. It's not about relevant and new music. It's about music being good for a basketball game. Good for us being in a tight game with 5 mins left and playing a song to keep people pumped up. Not necessarily a song they recognize from the radio.

3. The time they chanted "overrated" when we beat Xavier 2 years ago. Worst cheer in sports. Only taking a shot at your own team. Haven't gotten over it.

The band is great. They've done a lot for SLU and they've been at all the games. I respect them for that. But IF the piped in music adds something to the atmosphere then shouldn't we let that happen? I don't want all piped in music. All band is fine because that's the way it's always been and it's never been a problem, but at least for that one game, the piped music combined with the band made for one of the best environments I've seen at Chaifetz.

Question. Do other schools just have a band or do they have piped in music too? I understand it's different because other schools might play different or better songs, but if no one else has piped in music then maybe we shouldn't either.

This seems a bit petty. I'll place the others under "constructive criticism"

13, your post is good and fair.

I just didn't like the some posts here treating the band as a piece of trash.

I agree and probably most would agree that a mixture of electronic and the band would be fine. But you need good coordination between the band and who ever operates the electronic music. Suggest it comes from the band. Also, don't have Gus come over the PA, cut in when the music is playing with some stupid announcement, and totally kill the mood.

We are probably different then the BCS schools. Many of those give band scholarships because of football and betting many of those play at basketball games. Also, they have band majors, either for the music or they plan to teach band at the HS level. Do we have that many music majors at SLU? I don't think they had a dept. when I attended. The point is they spend a lot time practicing which allows for more varied selections. .

13, your post is good and fair.

I just didn't like the some posts here treating the band as a piece of trash.

I agree and probably most would agree that a mixture of electronic and the band would be fine. But you need good coordination between the band and who ever operates the electronic music. Suggest it comes from the band. Also, don't have Gus come over the PA, cut in with the music with some stupid announcement, and totally kill the mood.

We are probably different then the BCS schools. Many of those give band scholarships because of football and betting many of those play at basketball games. Also, they have band majors, either for the music or they plan to teach band at the HS level. Do we have that many music majors at SLU? I don't think they had a dept. when I attended. The point is they spend a lot time practicing which allows for more varied selections. .

Sounds like more reason to play jock jams.

To be fair, this whole thing got out of hand when people started acting like just because some of us want more piped in music it was some knock against the band.

I don't recall that actually happening either. Maybe a few uninformed people, but not the entire band. Neither team was ranked at the time and we were favored by several points in that game.

Yeah I didn't mean the whole band. My fault on that one. I just remember members of the band chanting that and acting like it was awesome.