Phil Martelli on the Billikens

brianstl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Please give me a write up of the scene from the movie so that I can understand the comment. thanks

Young Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) introduces his creation (Peter Boyle) before a theatre audience to show that he has not created a monster, but a sophisticated, genteel, man about town. They sing "Puttin' on the Ritz" and dance a soft shoe. Boyle only sings one line (puttin' on the ritz)- and is quite hard to understand. BUT, the monster looks exactly like Martelli in a top hat and tux.

Young Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) introduces his creation (Peter Boyle) before a theatre audience to show that he has not created a monster, but a sophisticated, genteel, man about town. They sing "Puttin' on the Ritz" and dance a soft shoe. Boyle only sings one line (puttin' on the ritz)- and is quite hard to understand. BUT, the monster looks exactly like Martelli in a top hat and tux.

Could you support this write up with some photos from the scene?

Here are some nice posts from their board:

St Louis is not more talented from a starting line up perspective than St. Joe.s. They are deeper.
3 days ago George Mason took them to OT in Saint Louis and was leading for most of the game...

VCU is the best team in this conference
SLU a top 10 team, my how college ball has sunk.
Only Jett starts for SJU...

SJU is better 2 through 5.... 1 and 6-13 are problematic
rob loe would not start because javon would play over him...loe is overrated and from new zealand therefore he sucks.
Agree on all accounts. SJU is more talented, but SLU is far better coached..and it shows.

The snow must be getting to some of those posters because they are nuts.

Let the Joe's keep talking.

The bottom line is that SLU beat that St. Joe's team by 16 points in its crackerbox high school gym. And that was with St. Joe's not exercising proper decorum by scoring in the final seconds after SLU let the shot clock expire while up by 18 points, the basketball version of taking a knee.

SLU has now beaten St. Joe's in the last 8 meetings.

The head to head record speaks for itself.

For the record, I don't know one fan who thought it was a good idea for Chris Wilson to score at the end there.

I'm not getting involved in the better players/better team discussion. Haven't on our board, and won't on here.

Also, further, I'm all for making fun of Hagan, but do realize that land here costs worlds more than out there, and our campus is entirely locked in, especially where the arena is located. But, you know, if playing in Chaifetz makes you feel better with your partly-empty student section (despite free tickets, free food, and BALLOONS), then, you know, feel better.

Billikens are great. Hawks are not. I said the Hawks would lose in the realm of 70-40. I wasn't as off as others were who predicted a Hawk win.

I think SLU can make it FAR. Just keep winning.

For the record, I don't know one fan who thought it was a good idea for Chris Wilson to score at the end there.

I'm not getting involved in the better players/better team discussion. Haven't on our board, and won't on here.

Also, further, I'm all for making fun of Hagan, but do realize that land here costs worlds more than out there, and our campus is entirely locked in, especially where the arena is located. But, you know, if playing in Chaifetz makes you feel better with your partly-empty student section (despite free tickets, free food, and BALLOONS), then, you know, feel better.

Billikens are great. Hawks are not. I said the Hawks would lose in the realm of 70-40. I wasn't as off as others were who predicted a Hawk win.

I'll have you know that our students can make some impressive balloon animals. Hard to go 1-16 from 3 and shoot 60% from the line and win. You guys played tough though, especially in the paint

"Basically we lined it up and they were better at each position. Their bench was better than our bench," said Martelli. "At every position, they were better and we have to take that individually. We have to process it and then come back tomorrow and improve."

Love it.

He also should have said, "And their coach was better than our coach...me."

I was thinking along similar lines: "Every position" includes coaches. SLU's managers were probably better than St. Josephs'.

How many times now has SLU held an opponent to its lowest scoring output of the season?

The principal reason for the post was in response to the St. Joe's fans claiming that 4 of their 5 starters would start ahead of SLU's starters. That interesting claim would relegate 2013 Atlantic 10 Tournament MVP Dwayne Evans to the bench. I don't think so.

Really I think St. Joe's has a nice team, a high NIT team, just on the wrong (NIT) side of the NCAA Bubble. As noted by our Taj and John Griffin on the A10 Network telecast, St. Joe's does not have a dribble drive guard, which is needed to attack SLU's defense.

At the game tonight, and I do have to give credit to the crowd. They got LOUD every time the lead closed to single digits... and then the Bills would make a run. I was more nervous in the stands than they were on the court; we never got rattled. We knew that we just needed to be ourselves and execute on each possession, and the win would come. A joy to watch.

Hagan was a decent enough facility. Definitely small, but a great atmosphere for hoops. Great student section, too. Loud and filled to the rafters.

Able to park on the street. Wish they had multiple entrances, as we walked around the entire building before finding where to get in. Fans/ushers were friendly. A good place to take in college basketball.

Here are some nice posts from their board:

The snow must be getting to some of those posters because they are nuts.

You lose at home by 16 pts - never really in the game to a the 13th ranked team in the country and you think you have better talent but were simply out coached. As Bill Parcels said - you are what your record says you are. Delustional is not a good enough adjective.

First of all our student section is not half empty - if you pay attention to what is shown during games you would see that the section has usually been full. Also, SLU is also land locked but Biondi started buying property when it came up for sale whether he needed it or not and sometimes he bought property a block away or more on the come so that over time he was able to infill when the opportunity arose. Chaifetz was built on school property that had an apartment building on part of it that he bought years ago and rented out and then when the Public School decided to sell an old elementary school he was there to buy it and added to the other property he had accumulated over the years as I descibed above - he had no idea that the elementary school would ever sell but he at least was prepared. In fact we had 2 locations to build it on due to his planning. I watched the game and it was nice to see a full gym for you but getting 4K in the seats is easier than getting 10.5K in. By the way, because you were playing us you sold out - everyone wanted to see you knock of 2 top 25 teams in a row so give us a little credit for your great atmosphere.

First of all our student section is not half empty - if you pay attention to what is shown during games you would see that the section has usually been full. Also, SLU is also land locked but Biondi started buying property when it came up for sale whether he needed it or not and sometimes he bought property a block away or more on the come so that over time he was able to infill when the opportunity arose. Chaifetz was built on school property that had an apartment building on part of it that he bought years ago and rented out and then when the Public School decided to sell an old elementary school he was there to buy it and added to the other property he had accumulated over the years as I descibed above - he had no idea that the elementary school would ever sell but he at least was prepared. In fact we had 2 locations to build it on due to his planning. I watched the game and it was nice to see a full gym for you but getting 4K in the seats is easier than getting 10.5K in. By the way, because you were playing us you sold out - everyone wanted to see you knock of 2 top 25 teams in a row so give us a little credit for your great atmosphere.

There is no excuse for the disappointing turnout by our students last Saturday. As a vest type, as you youngsters refer to my age group, I'm sick of the excuses from the students. Balloons, big heads, cheers! What a bunch of garbage. Come to the games, have fun, be loud and proud.

This is the new golden age of Billiken Basketball. I've waited 45 years for it. I wish the student body appreciated what's been given to them. But they don't.

At the game tonight, and I do have to give credit to the crowd. They got LOUD every time the lead closed to single digits... and then the Bills would make a run. I was more nervous in the stands than they were on the court; we never got rattled. We knew that we just needed to be ourselves and execute on each possession, and the win would come. A joy to watch.

Hagan was a decent enough facility. Definitely small, but a great atmosphere for hoops. Great student section, too. Loud and filled to the rafters.

Able to park on the street. Wish they had multiple entrances, as we walked around the entire building before finding where to get in. Fans/ushers were friendly. A good place to take in college basketball.

Glad you enjoyed it. The crowd was better than I expected given the weather and power outages all across the area, so kudos to everyone who showed up. The Billikens are a great team, and the Hawks are average. I've said all season that our record is all smoke and mirrors.

Hagan is a great hoops atmosphere. It's not there to coddle a fan with padded chair backs and the like. Student section is 1,100 strong and always solid. The entrance thing is definitely confusing for new people. Street side is for students, and campus side is for the regular people, as that's where the box office is. Definitely out of the ordinary in that sense.

Actually, because of the weather here yesterday and widespread downed trees, many roads were closed and over half a million lost power. The arena was not filled to capacity. Hagan always provides a good atmosphere and games are always well attended. It wasn't a sellout, so that's not something SLU can hang their hat on. They can hang it on a convincing conference road win, though.

As for the buying of property, SJU would need to dozens and dozens of homes from people in order to get space for an arena or anything else at this point. There's no commercial or public land left adjacent to campus, aside from a rundown elementary school, and the property is far too small to have anything like a basketball arena there.

I like Chaifetz. I've never been, but it looks quite nice.

Well done on the win, SLU and fans.

There is no excuse for the disappointing turnout by our students last Saturday. As a vest type, as you youngsters refer to my age group, I'm sick of the excuses from the students. Balloons, big heads, cheers! What a bunch of garbage. Come to the games, have fun, be loud and proud.

This is the new golden age of Billiken Basketball. I've waited 45 years for it. I wish the student body appreciated what's been given to them. But they don't.

Still a mystery to me why our students aren't out in full force for the Bills. Free tickets and a 13 ranking should be enough to fill that section no matter who we're playing. Maybe we should fake them out by buying a used 40' trailer and painting ESPN on the side of it and parking it outside the Fetz. The section seem to fill up whenever ESPN's in town, because they figure their parents might be watching. Not as many people have the special sports packages that include Fox, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports. I don't get it.

"In what was supposed to be some sort of semi-showdown between the A-10’s first- and third-place teams, the Billikens methodically dismantled Saint Joe’s 65-49 and the score was an accurate measure of the teams’ disparity. No turning point existed. It was just a process of erosion, possession by possession of superior basketball."

"What you saw against SLU was dribble, dribble, dribble as the Billikens blew up their sets."

Nice quotes from that article!

It's funny, because watching most of the second half (I had to stop when my class was over :) ) it didn't feel like we were dominating them at all. When I checked the score on my phone at the grocery store after class I was surprised the final was as lopsided as it was; it seemed like we were making a lot of really dumb shots/turnovers and letting them get back in it.