Phil Martelli on the Billikens

brianstl

It's always nice to get really good press from the opponent's area media. http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/saint_louis_again_is_a_team_to.html

WHOA, that's pretty tough article. I liked it, not only because its partial to SLU and honored our late coach, but jumped on this loading up with +200 rpi teams in the OOC.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no excuse for the disappointing turnout by our students last Saturday. As a vest type, as you youngsters refer to my age group, I'm sick of the excuses from the students. Balloons, big heads, cheers! What a bunch of garbage. Come to the games, have fun, be loud and proud.

This is the new golden age of Billiken Basketball. I've waited 45 years for it. I wish the student body appreciated what's been given to them. But they don't.

Not sure what you are ranting about - the student section was pretty full

Glad you enjoyed it. The crowd was better than I expected given the weather and power outages all across the area, so kudos to everyone who showed up. The Billikens are a great team, and the Hawks are average. I've said all season that our record is all smoke and mirrors.

Hagan is a great hoops atmosphere. It's not there to coddle a fan with padded chair backs and the like. Student section is 1,100 strong and always solid. The entrance thing is definitely confusing for new people. Street side is for students, and campus side is for the regular people, as that's where the box office is. Definitely out of the ordinary in that sense.

Actually, because of the weather here yesterday and widespread downed trees, many roads were closed and over half a million lost power. The arena was not filled to capacity. Hagan always provides a good atmosphere and games are always well attended. It wasn't a sellout, so that's not something SLU can hang their hat on. They can hang it on a convincing conference road win, though.

As for the buying of property, SJU would need to dozens and dozens of homes from people in order to get space for an arena or anything else at this point. There's no commercial or public land left adjacent to campus, aside from a rundown elementary school, and the property is far too small to have anything like a basketball arena there.

I like Chaifetz. I've never been, but it looks quite nice.

Well done on the win, SLU and fans.

SLU bought any and all property even houses when they came up. The school sts aide 1k for students - seems kinda the same to me as SJU - I will give you the weather issue.