Hey we just stepped in something brown GDT

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously not the worst........but we're in the top two or three. I'd rather play VCU on the road than the Bonnies.....

Come on, rich. VCU would have eaten our lunch tonight with the way we had trouble with SBUs 1/2 court trap and the way we played loose with the ball.

Come on, rich. VCU would have eaten our lunch tonight with the way we had trouble with SBUs 1/2 court trap and the way we played loose with the ball.

I'm not worried about VCU. Our guards didn't have a great night but VCU doesn't beat on you like the Bonnies do and I think we can beat their press.

Of note, we dominated the glass against a team for whom rebounding was a strength coming in. We managed 32 of the 38 available rebounds on the defensive end, and grabbed 13 offensive boards of a possible 39. Those are really good numbers regardless of opponent. Weird game for the Bills all around.

Someone hasn't seen VCU play lately. We're going to win ugly games.. that's who we are, a grind it out defensive beast. Make the FTs and this is another comfortable win.. oh, and the officiating..

The two VCU games will not be easy. At the end of the day they are quick, talented, and aggressive.

That said, it looks like SLU is coming into its own. We need to beat them at home and I expect the game on the road to be a battle.

SLU vs. St. Bona is akin to the Cardinals vs. the Cubs.

These Bonnie fans remind me of Cub fans. Their Coach could be Mike Quade or Dale Sweum. Was that Darwin Barney playing shooting guard tonight for Bona?

Seems a little harsh.

I came away impressed by the Bonnies. They will be in the thick of things in the A-10.

Seems a little harsh.

I came away impressed by the Bonnies. They will be in the thick of things in the A-10.

They are wannabes, just like Cub fans.

They were kept in this game by 3 things:

1 First and foremost were the refs, who called a whopping 43 fouls;

2. SLU was 16-30 at the FT line;

3. SLU had 16 turnovers, some of which appeared to be due to inattentiveness.

St. Bona really belongs in the MAAC, not the A10.

The freshman looked really good today with MC shooting and RA putting that ball on the floor again. Sick crossover! Ugly game but a win is a win and we just need to play defense and the rest will take care of itself. Granted AM and RL did not have good shooting nights but we definitely roughed it out. My only concern is turnovers in that half court trap. Definitely expected us to handle that better but oh well, time for the next game on Saturday vs Fordham. No easy wins in the A10 but we are better than what we showed on the court today!

Some quick observations from The Fetz:

-- Remember the scene from 'Office Space' where Peter states that every single day of his life is worse than the day before, so each day you see him, that is the worst day of his life? That is kind of how I feel with the officials this season. Every game I go to, the refs officiating that game are the worst officials I've ever seen. Tonight was definitely the case.

-- Even accepting the 16 turnovers, this game should have still been a double-digit victory that was iced before the last minute. The fact that SLU won by 6 over a decent St. Bonnie team while going 16-30 from the charity stripe and turning the ball over 11 times in the 2nd half shows just how good the Billikens really are, in my opinion.

-- Rob Loe may not have done much offensively tonight, but he had a whale of a game. 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals is a heck of a stat line. Manning also played well in his time out there. I honestly thought he had more than one block, but perhaps those were just contested shots that missed badly. We also them play a bit of time on the floor together. I think using a 'twin towers' lineup at times can really mess up the other team,

-- Both Evans and Jett could have had 20 point games if they were efficient from the free throw line. Jett was 5-11 (which you kind of expect) but Evans going 2-5 is out of character. Thankfully the missed free throws did not inevitably cost the game.

-- Glaze should have just kept his warmups on. He played only 3 minutes and seemed to cost the Billikens every possession he played. 3 turnovers and 2 fouls is hideous (One of his fouls was offensive, counting as a turnover.)

-- The two fouls called on Barnett on back to back plays in the 2nd half seemed to be an obvious case of the refs trying to even out the fouls as the Bills had an 8-4 advantage at that point. Both were ticky-tack and really should have been no calls (Barnett wrestling for a rebound, a perimeter touch foul.) I really hate it when you can tell that an officiating crew is trying to 'even out' the calls. It is the most bush league way of reffing a game.

-- McCall just doesn't seem himself. He is still playing really tough defense, but he just seems so disinterested on the offensive end lately. Tonight, he drilled a jumper in the first half, but then settled back into trying to drive the bucket, which rarely works out for him. He didn't attempt a three-pointer. And he only made 2-4 from the line. It was nice to see him grab seven rebounds and dish off three assists to only one turnover ( a really BAD turnover, I should add.) While the Bills are obviously winning without McCall going off offensively, it would make things easier down the stretch if he can find his stroke and start bombing from downtown again.

-- McBroom couldn't find the three-point stroke tonight, but found other ways to help out. Still was able to score 6 points and had a couple of really pretty passes that setup buckets.

-- Evans seems to have found his groove now. Even though he saw a number of double-teams tonight, he had an efficient night scoring, as he shot 8-12 and had 18 points and 6 boards. Pretty much a typical Dwayne Evans night.

-- Jett had a good game even though he was a little turnover prone (4 tonight.) Still, 15 points, 6 boards, a steal and a highlight-reel block will usually get the job done.

I don't attribute a lot of the TOs to Bona's D. We just made some really boneheaded uncharacteristic passes. If RM had lived this game might have been his last.

I am absolutely positive that Majerus saw far worse performances and games with a lot more turnovers than what we saw tonight.

Several thoughts from the SBJ game:

1. The 3 refs were calling 3 different games - one would call everything and looked like he did not get the memo from the NCAA about charges, another one let them mug each other under the basket for most of the game but at the end figured out how to blow his whistle, the other one was unseen mostly and seemed content to let the first guy call everything. Very weak crew.

2. AM - the word is out on his 3 pt shooting - SBJ covered him very tight and he really did not have any open looks.

3. TOs- we were not good at protecting the ball but to simply say it was not due to SBJ just us screwing up is not accurate. There was reason we were throwing the ball around stupidly - is was the play of SBJ in their trap/press. Credit needs to be given to their coach for trying something different - if had not this game would have been a blow out.

4. FTs - our shooting was inexcusable - how do you go 1-6 at the end with MM, JJ, DE, and RL shooting? On the road we lose this game because of this.

5. Rebounding - impressive - we out rebounded a team who had been rebounding well. This is why we won this game. Remember to win - rebound and defend.

6. MC/JB - these two are best splitting time - JC needs to do this more. The two are fresher and shoot better because of it. MC's defense is every bit as good as JB - somebody tell JC this.

7. RL - his interior defense was good last night - his rebounding was critical to the win.

8. JM - he has his good moments but honestly have ever seen a guy that big who can not go up to the basket but always seems to try to lay it in. He gets blocked or fouled but he never gets a chance at the 3 pt play and his FT shooting is not good - 1-4 last night. He has to make the basket because his FT shooting makes fouling him a good move. By the way - I guess when you are uncoordinated you just will always be a bit uncoordinated.

9. Classy - some need to just simply show some class and not pick fights on the board with the other team's fans who obviously are hurting after two close road losses. SBJ was not an easy team to beat last night and their coach did a good job - give credit where credit is due. Do I want to face them in Brooklyn - not really.

Several thoughts from the SBJ game:

1. The 3 refs were calling 3 different games - one would call everything and looked like he did not get the memo from the NCAA about charges, another one let them mug each other under the basket for most of the game but at the end figured out how to blow his whistle, the other one was unseen mostly and seemed content to let the first guy call everything. Very weak crew.

2. AM - the word is out on his 3 pt shooting - SBJ covered him very tight and he really did not have any open looks.

3. TOs- we were not good at protecting the ball but to simply say it was not due to SBJ just us screwing up is not accurate. There was reason we were throwing the ball around stupidly - is was the play of SBJ in their trap/press. Credit needs to be given to their coach for trying something different - if had not this game would have been a blow out.

4. FTs - our shooting was inexcusable - how do you go 1-6 at the end with MM, JJ, DE, and RL shooting? On the road we lose this game because of this.

5. Rebounding - impressive - we out rebounded a team who had been rebounding well. This is why we won this game. Remember to win - rebound and defend.

6. MC/JB - these two are best splitting time - JC needs to do this more. The two are fresher and shoot better because of it. MC's defense is every bit as good as JB - somebody tell JC this.

7. RL - his interior defense was good last night - his rebounding was critical to the win.

8. JM - he has his good moments but honestly have ever seen a guy that big who can not go up to the basket but always seems to try to lay it in. He gets blocked or fouled but he never gets a chance at the 3 pt play and his FT shooting is not good - 1-4 last night. He has to make the basket because his FT shooting makes fouling him a good move. By the way - I guess when you are uncoordinated you just will always be a bit uncoordinated.

9. Classy - some need to just simply show some class and not pick fights on the board with the other team's fans who obviously are hurting after two close road losses. SBJ was not an easy team to beat last night and their coach did a good job - give credit where credit is due. Do I want to face them in Brooklyn - not really.

Re point 1: I agree. They were all on a different page. I always thought Mike Sanzere (the white guy) was a good ref. He's been reffing since the mid-90s and for what it's worth works the Big Ten among others. I often wonder if a veteran ref feels the need to make up for a crew that ain't quite up to snuff. But those guys last night made it impossible to know what was and wasn't a foul.

Re point 2: Noticed that too. His man was on him like a glove. Perhaps not every team will have guards good enough to stick with him. But he never got open last night.

Re point 4. I was very annoyed with JJ, who after missing two free throws, on a subsequent play let the Bonnies foul him so he'd go back to the line. Then he missed two more. He looked exhausted by that point anyway. The FTs have to improve if we're gonna keep winning.

Re point 9: Agreed. That team gave us one of our toughest games of the season. I don't want to play them again. I really wish fans of other teams wouldn't come on team message boards in the first place. That said, we shouldn't crow too much. Not every year is an up year and what goes around, comes around.

Re point 1: I agree. They were all on a different page. I always thought Mike Sanzere (the white guy) was a good ref. He's been reffing since the mid-90s and for what it's worth works the Big Ten among others. I often wonder if a veteran ref feels the need to make up for a crew that ain't quite up to snuff. But those guys last night made it impossible to know what was and wasn't a foul.

Re point 2: Noticed that too. His man was on him like a glove. Perhaps not every team will have guards good enough to stick with him. But he never got open last night.

Re point 4. I was very annoyed with JJ, who after missing two free throws, on a subsequent play let the Bonnies foul him so he'd go back to the line. Then he missed two more. He looked exhausted by that point anyway. The FTs have to improve if we're gonna keep winning.

Re point 9: Agreed. That team gave us one of our toughest games of the season. I don't want to play them again. I really wish fans of other teams wouldn't come on team message boards in the first place. That said, we shouldn't crow too much. Not every year is an up year and what goes around, comes around.

The worst thing about your "re point 4" was that JJ could have passed the ball to a wide open AM who was about 12 ft away from JJ, but Jett held the ball until he was fouled. This was at best very poor decision making in the last minute or two of a game where making FTs was becoming an issue for us. Why not give the ball to your best FT shooter?

Inspite of the good things JJ did last night this was clearly not his finest outing. As a senior leader, he needs to reduce his turnovers,

The worst thing about your "re point 4" was that JJ could have passed the ball to a wide open AM who was about 12 ft away from JJ, but Jett held the ball until he was fouled. This was at best very poor decision making in the last minute or two of a game where making FTs was becoming an issue for us. Why not give the ball to your best FT shooter?

Inspite of the good things JJ did last night this was clearly not his finest outing. As a senior leader, he needs to reduce his turnovers,

Agreed re: JJ. Sloppy game from him. We're going to have turnovers and I can live with that, it's just the soft/silly/sloppy unforced turnovers by our seniors that are befuddling.