OT: Watching DePaul

brianstl

Dude, they're in the Big East. Show some respect or @holylandofhoops will jump down your throat on twitter.

Clearly they just need time to gel.

I follow that twitter account too. While I'd love to be in the big east given our current situation, it's funny watching him tweet about how great fox sports is, yada yada yada. I've watched about 20 minutes total of fox sports in the 3 months its been on the air. And I'm a big sports fan.

There is some real risk tying the whole league to that network and they know it. It'll probably be fine, but still they are running the risk of being forgotten by the average sports fan.

I also wish SLU was in the Big East right now.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally hoping/wishing/praying for the call up, heart broken we aren't there, but I just hate how DePaul, PC, and SH get to ride GTown and MU's tail while we are clearly superior.

We compete for a championship in that league this year. If we can beat out VCU again in the long race for a title run, we could win the BE. I was just venting/ripping on DePaul.

I follow that twitter account too. While I'd love to be in the big east given our current situation, it's funny watching him tweet about how great fox sports is, yada yada yada. I've watched about 20 minutes total of fox sports in the 3 months its been on the air. And I'm a big sports fan.

There is some real risk tying the whole league to that network and they know it. It'll probably be fine, but still they are running the risk of being forgotten by the average sports fan.

I was pumped about FS1 but it has been a huge disappointment. I was expecting ESPN without all the ESPN BS. Instead I get Regis freaking Philben and a bunch of NASCAR and MMA. (Im a UFC fan but enough is enough)

I have watched about 12 hours of college hoops the last three days and about 20 minutes of it were on FS1.

I will probably watch a lot more come conference time but so far it has sucked.

What someone should do is start a NCAA football network and NCAA basketball Network. If it is done like the NFL and MLB networks it will be a huge hit.

mini drunken rant over

as for Depaul, they suck but Quentin Richardson was in Waiting and that was pretty funny and Rod Strickland could ball.

Don't forget Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings. Tom Kleinshmidt too, only reason I didn't hate him was because he never beat us.

DePaul is hideous. Illinois-Chicago and Chicago St may be better than they are.

You know its bad when the current state of things makes the Joey Meyer era look fantastic. Still, I can only hope we'll soon be in the same conference again along with all the others.

I've argued this before on the board but DePaul's demise was getting rid of Meyer. He was a good enough coach and recruiter to keep that program afloat. When they brought HC after HC since they have all struggled because of lack of fan and institutional support. If not for Joey Meyer somehow keeping that program alive after a decade of neglect DePaul would be in the Horizon league now not the Big East.

Don't forget Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings. Tom Kleinshmidt too, only reason I didn't hate him was because he never beat us.

DePaul is hideous. Illinois-Chicago and Chicago St may be better than they are.

Ummmm Tyrone Corbin

DePaul's getting its own building, still not on campus, but better than the long bus ride that students have to take right now to get to Rosemont. It's going to be at McCormick place or something (sorry, I don't know Chicago very well). That should help with some problems, but they have a lot going wrong right now that will take a long time to turn around

DePaul's getting its own building, still not on campus, but better than the long bus ride that students have to take right now to get to Rosemont. It's going to be at McCormick place or something (sorry, I don't know Chicago very well). That should help with some problems, but they have a lot going wrong right now that will take a long time to turn around

Yea very m ice stadium next to McCormick with lots of public funding. Will be much easier for pretty much everyone in the city to get to. Hopefully it helps them out

Not really. It's arguably a worse location.

I know you said you don't know Chicago very well, but getting from Lincoln Park to McCormick Place is a pain in the arse. There is no direct public transportation and driving is a mess - arguably just as bad as getting to the AllState (depending on the time of day). And, let's be honest that talking about a commute from Lincoln Park is arbitrary because DePaul students (and alums) love all over the city / suburbs.

I do not understand the logic of turning down free rent at the UC - which is conveniently located right off the highway for both urban/suburban alums - and partnering the Rahm in his attempt to woo trade shows back to McCormick. Not sure how this will help rebuild fan support in Chicago.

Not really. It's arguably a worse location.

I know you said you don't know Chicago very well, but getting from Lincoln Park to McCormick Place is a pain in the arse. There is no direct public transportation and driving is a mess - arguably just as bad as getting to the AllState (depending on the time of day). And, let's be honest that talking about a commute from Lincoln Park is arbitrary because DePaul students (and alums) love all over the city / suburbs.

I do not understand the logic of turning down free rent at the UC - which is conveniently located right off the highway for both urban/suburban alums - and partnering the Rahm in his attempt to woo trade shows back to McCormick. Not sure how this will help rebuild fan support in Chicago.

Agree that they should have taken UC deal but do not agree that getting to mccormick is comparable to allstate. And at least there are some public transportstion options as opposed to none currently

Interesting - do you have link to this story? I have kind of followed the arena situation they have when they started talking about an old factory area they wanted to redevelop with someone else for an arena - it was my understanding that that plan was scraped.