OT: Watching DePaul

brianstl

Agree that they should have taken UC deal but do not agree that getting to mccormick is comparable to allstate. And at least there are some public transportstion options as opposed to none currently

Actually, their is a Rosemont blue line stop. Not saying it's convenient, but it's an option. Also, what public transportation is convenient for McCormick place? Get off at Roosevelt and walk? And unless you live in the Loop / South Loop / Pilsen, driving isn't very convenient (and arguably most fervent DePaul fans live in the suburbs).

Regarding the stadium, it's more or less done deal. DePaul is ponying up some cash and the city is paying the rest. This link is a little OT, but gives you some basic background:

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2013/09/23/blair-kamin-depaul-arena-il-capitol-renovation

You can just Google DePaul Arena and follow the saga, if you are really interested.

If you wa

Actually, their is a Rosemont blue line stop. Not saying it's convenient, but it's an option. Also, what public transportation is convenient for McCormick place? Get off at Roosevelt and walk? And unless you live in the Loop / South Loop / Pilsen, driving isn't very convenient (and arguably most fervent DePaul fans live in the suburbs).

Regarding the stadium, it's more or less done deal. DePaul is ponying up some cash and the city is paying the rest. This link is a little OT, but gives you some basic background:

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2013/09/23/blair-kamin-depaul-arena-il-capitol-renovation

You can just Google DePaul Arena and follow the saga, if you are really interested.

If you wa

McCormick is a bit better location and easier to get to than All State (it takes forever to get to All State from Lincoln Park via the Blue Line), but not by much, though I guess you have to stipulate the stadium will at least be much nicer. They took a step in the right direction as the Rosemont location was killing that program, but they could have taken a far better step in moving to the UC or somewhere else. Bottom line, that program is abysmal and nobody cares about it here, AT ALL. Very sad to see...what a shame.

McCormick is a bit better location and easier to get to than All State (it takes forever to get to All State from Lincoln Park via the Blue Line), but not by much, though I guess you have to stipulate the stadium will at least be much nicer. They took a step in the right direction as the Rosemont location was killing that program, but they could have taken a far better step in moving to the UC or somewhere else. Bottom line, that program is abysmal and nobody cares about it here, AT ALL. Very sad to see...what a shame.

Take it easy, take it easy.

Coming soon enough: #RiseofBillyBlueDemon #deathofDIBS -- or not -- hopefully though, and they become a conference rival again.. We had some good games against them including a very memorable (for me, at least) NIT victory at the old auditorium about 20 years ago. That game pretty much introduced me to SLU bball.

If you wa

Thanks - the problem they have is there just is not any vacant land around them. We were very fortunate that Biondi was stockpiling land and that the elementary school was closed by the City School District and available for us to buy. I have criticized Biondi on some things but he gets a lots of credit for his land banking.

DePaul's campus, of course, is split but if we are talking about the undergrad portion in Lincoln Park and if the new arena will be built by McCormick Place Convention Center, then google maps says this is 28 miles and 42 minutes. Do I have the correct places? Am I close?

Not really. It's arguably a worse location.

I know you said you don't know Chicago very well, but getting from Lincoln Park to McCormick Place is a pain in the arse. There is no direct public transportation and driving is a mess - arguably just as bad as getting to the AllState (depending on the time of day). And, let's be honest that talking about a commute from Lincoln Park is arbitrary because DePaul students (and alums) love all over the city / suburbs.

Sounds scandalous.

Just a point of information....

While DePaul is a cellar dweller in the BE they are not terrible (see SIU-E for terrible). DeP is a C+ team similar to Rh Island and better than Duq and Fordham. They look terrible because everyone else in their league is so much better. In the world outside of the BE they would be an OK team. The good news is that the new BE is weaker than the old BE so DeP doesn't have as far to go to catch up.

Not really. It's arguably a worse location.

I know you said you don't know Chicago very well, but getting from Lincoln Park to McCormick Place is a pain in the arse. There is no direct public transportation and driving is a mess - arguably just as bad as getting to the AllState (depending on the time of day). And, let's be honest that talking about a commute from Lincoln Park is arbitrary because DePaul students (and alums) love all over the city / suburbs.

Sounds better than watching a losing team.

I was showing someone where the Biograph Theater was on Lincoln Ave this past summer on a trip to see my brother and parents. I stopped by and asked a bunch of students at the Rec Center or whatever it was called what the feel is for athletics at DePaul. I think there is a ground swell that would brew up if DePaul ever started winning. There were many students on the edge of going to All State in Rosemont but it just wasn't quite worth it. There is a die hard core group that does attend. They really do have some great sports fans there and really knowledgeable ones. Most of them are Cubs fans so you'd think they'd be used to it.

As far as having DePaul in the Horizon, I think for now we'll stick with UIC but keep our options open.

DePaul's campus, of course, is split but if we are talking about the undergrad portion in Lincoln Park and if the new arena will be built by McCormick Place Convention Center, then google maps says this is 28 miles and 42 minutes. Do I have the correct places? Am I close?

Are you saying it's 28 miles from DePaul's Lincoln Park campus to McCormick Center? If so, you're not even kind of close. On my bike along Lake Shore I'd guess it's probably like 8 miles, 10 max.

Edit: Per Google Maps, it's currently an 18 minute drive in 8 am rush hour traffic. 7 miles.

Drive via U.S. 41 N/S Lake Shore Dr · 6.9 mi14 min
Hide traffic Currently 18 min

Are you saying it's 28 miles from DePaul's Lincoln Park campus to McCormick Center? If so, you're not even kind of close. On my bike along Lake Shore I'd guess it's probably like 8 miles, 10 max.

Edit: Per Google Maps, it's currently an 18 minute drive in 8 am rush hour traffic. 7 miles.

Drive via U.S. 41 N/S Lake Shore Dr · 6.9 mi14 min
Hide traffic Currently 18 min

This is as opposed to the current situation of playing at the Allstate Arena which is 15.4 miles from the LP campus, 25 minutes in no traffic and 43 minutes currently in the same 8 AM rush hour traffic.

If you wa

I heard from my brother that Metra might do something since their line runs directly next to McCormick Place. Take a Loop CTA train to Randolph/Wabash (or blue line Washington) and walk to Metra's Millennium Station at Michigan and Randolph.

Here's what Metra does for the Auto Show. I'm sure they will work out trains for DePaul basketball

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/utility_landing/newsroom/newsroom/metra_takes_you_tothechicagoautoshow.html