Porter

Looks like he won't be coming back to save us anytime soon:

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/07/26/porter-moser-inks-new-deal-at-loyola-chicago/

Our recruiting is doomed without him. :rolleyes:

Right, because coaches never leave their contracts early!

P.s. I have no interest in porter at this time, I just wouldn't assume he'll actually be at Loyola for the length of this contract. Happy for him though.

I don't think it's hate for Porter at all. Most here really like Porter especially as an AHC.

The poking fun is more towards the folks who predicted doom and gloom for recruiting when he left.

I don't think it's hate for Porter at all. Most here really like Porter especially as an AHC.

The poking fun is more towards the folks who predicted doom and gloom for recruiting when he left.

This is what I was going for. Porter was a good AC and I wish him well at Loyola. I think we are doing okay without him though and I like Crews as a HC better than him.

Basically, it is poking fun at NH. He had a hard-on for Porter and when Moser left for Loyola, he thought it was going to be the death knell for the program in regards to recruiting. That was also where the 'Rick Majerus is a lazy recruiter' meme came from on this board. NH has really dealt with a lot of crap on this board! (just ask him about ACT scores!)

well not doom and gloom, but the recruiting did indeed fall off after porter left. just take a look at our juniors and sophs compared to the seniors and before when porter was here. give him his due, he truly was a good recruiter for the billikens.

The recruiting seems like it fell off because we didn't have as many scholarships to give. In reality it didn't, we've just had a really strong upper class this coming year and last.

As I said I like Porter and wish he were still the associate head coach, but recruiting hasn't been much different so far.

ESPN had an article that mentioned SLU recruiting had trended downward in the last few seasons (the same ones since Porter left). While I think there are plenty of other reasons, the loss of our head recruiter, and subsequently Harriman, had to have played a role.

ESPN had an article that mentioned SLU recruiting had trended downward in the last few seasons (the same ones since Porter left). While I think there are plenty of other reasons, the loss of our head recruiter, and subsequently Harriman, had to have played a role.

If Harriman was here SLU would have Tai Webster. That, alone, would have stopped this supposed "downward" trend in recruiting.

Also, Keith Carter was a good get at the time. He finished 2nd to Jabari Parker in Illinois Mr. Basketball. Did it work out? No. But he was a good signing.

Jared Drew was a project that at the time SLU could afford to risk.

Guys - let's open our eyes a little here. Clearly every aspect of the program has been terrible since Porter left and it was probably the worst 2 yrs in Bills history. Porter is the only good thing that's ever happened to the program. case closed

Guys - let's open our eyes a little here. Clearly every aspect of the program has been terrible since Porter left and it was probably the worst 2 yrs in Bills history. Porter is the only good thing that's ever happened to the program. case closed

If Porter was here, Jolly would be a Billiken!

Porter's top returning player is Christian Thomas from Clayton HS in St. Louis.

Give Porter credit for that one. He was likely going to be a walk-on at SLU before Porter left and decided to offer him a scholly. Very surprised to see he is doing so well given how lightly recruited he was.

I think nearly everyone would agree that if we could have Porter as an assistant on this staff he'd be an asset to our team.

If you want to make this a semi-interesting summer topic ask yourself what would have happened if Porter hadn't left for Loyola and was still here as the long time Associate Head coach. What would have happened when Majerus got sick?

I'd bet that he would have been given the interim head coaching job. Obviously, last year played out mostly like a dream so its hard to see how he could have done better than Crews on the court. And given the spring signing period and start to the fall period, I have no issues with how recruiting is going.

So would you rather have Porter leading the team or Crews? I'd take Crews but its interesting to think how things could have been different if Loyola hand't come calling.

I think nearly everyone would agree that if we could have Porter as an assistant on this staff he'd be an asset to our team.

If you want to make this a semi-interesting summer topic ask yourself what would have happened if Porter hadn't left for Loyola and was still here as the long time Associate Head coach. What would have happened when Majerus got sick?

I'd bet that he would have been given the interim head coaching job. Obviously, last year played out mostly like a dream so its hard to see how he could have done better than Crews on the court. And given the spring signing period and start to the fall period, I have no issues with how recruiting is going.

So would you rather have Porter leading the team or Crews? I'd take Crews but its interesting to think how things could have been different if Loyola hand't come calling.

Crews in a heart beat and if anyone says differently they should be examined.

For all the joking I do around Porter I liked him a lot. I still don't think he is cut out to be a head coach though. Wasn't his record as acting head coach 0-11 here when Rick was sick etc.?

Either way, no sane person could wish we had Porter over Crews with what has happened in the last 7 months (even though Crews can't coach, motivate, recruit, lead, communicate effectively, and runs players off who never did anything wrong and is a bad representative for our school)

Crews in a heart beat and if anyone says differently they should be examined.

For all the joking I do around Porter I liked him a lot. I still don't think he is cut out to be a head coach though. Wasn't his record as acting head coach 0-11 here when Rick was sick etc.?

Either way, no sane person could wish we had Porter over Crews with what has happened in the last 7 months (even though Crews can't coach, motivate, recruit, lead, communicate effectively, and runs players off who never did anything wrong and is a bad representative for our school)

I agree HC is one pay grade above porter moser's effectiveness. But I give him huge credit for his recruiting. His recruiting was the key to our current NCAA participation streak.

But I totally agree I wouldn't want him as the head coach.

For the record - when Crews was named interim head coach, Whitesell held the title of associate head coach. So Crews likely would have still been named HC. Porter probably would have bolted for another position at that point though, but we will never know.

I agree HC is one pay grade above porter moser's effectiveness. But I give him huge credit for his recruiting. His recruiting was the key to our current NCAA participation streak.

But I totally agree I wouldn't want him as the head coach.

It seems that when he was the HC at Illinois State he brought in lots of talent but was unable to win with them.