Grandy at the 3 in 2014?

ACE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody said you had to participate. Several people suggested your ongoing debate about whether DE was a 3 or 4 was ridiculous, but that didn't stop you. :P

Besides, beginning with roy I think these attacks against me in this thread all politically motivated. :lol:

I actually think Skip was taking a shot at me for implying that you starting this thread was silly. He was then being facetious by saying that there is always so much going on during the offseason on this board that we can't clog it up with unnecessary threads like this. At least that is how I read his post.

Nobody said you had to participate. Several people suggested your ongoing debate about whether DE was a 3 or 4 was ridiculous, but that didn't stop you. :P

Besides, beginning with roy I think these attacks against me in this thread all politically motivated. :lol:

What? I didn't knock the conversation. I was taking a jab at jbiz which he obviously got.

And jbiz .... I'm in the office depot parking lot right now ... where are you?

My debate about DE being a 3 or a 4 was only ridiculous because posters disagreed. There really wasn't any need for the debate.

Based on his inability to shoot the midrange jumper I expect the coaches to move Jett to the 4 next year, with Agbeko and Glaze doing the majority of the ball handling.

and JJ scores inside a lot. This is really confusing me. I have a rule that all players 6'6" and under must be able to play the 3 and cannot play the 4 as our 4's must be 6'7" or taller or we just pass and don't recruit them. But here we have JJ, a player I love who does most of his scoring around the rim, he's tough, physical, and rebounds well. He obviously is a 4 ...

No way Grandy will get time at the 3. That said it is time to stop talking about all players as traditional 1,2 3, etc. the game has moved past those traditional roles.

Wait a minute, you start out by suggesting Grandy will never get time at the 3, but then go on to say it is time time stop talking about players as traditional 1, 2 and 3. ;)

What? I didn't knock the conversation. I was taking a jab at jbiz which he obviously got.

And jbiz .... I'm in the office depot parking lot right now ... where are you?

My debate about DE being a 3 or a 4 was only ridiculous because posters disagreed. There really wasn't any need for the debate.

Hey, I said 4 PM, numbnuts! Feel free to wait around on the hot concrete until then, but I only do my parking lot beatdowns at 4 PM so I can take advantage of happy hour right after.

Hey, I said 4 PM, numbnuts! Feel free to wait around on the hot concrete until then, but I only do my parking lot beatdowns at 4 PM so I can take advantage of happy hour right after.

F..k. Clearly I'm a non SLU alumni as my reading comprehension seems to suck.

It is getting hot out here, can we do this another day?

F..k. Clearly I'm a non SLU alumni as my reading comprehension seems to suck.

It is getting hot out here, can we do this another day?

It took Dwight 3.5 years to get his body to a point where he could muscle and use an extended pause to get his close in shots; he always had a short range jumper. GG has his body now but other than disorienting the opponents the first 4 minutes of each half by lurching and flailing I sure don't think he is ready for and increased minutes. If he develops a jumper I'd give him all the time he wants as long as he promises not to dribble pretty much the way Remekun was allowed one step to dunk or pass the ball back.

Yep, these are the kind of threads that get started in the dog days of summer. Maybe we can start another one where we discuss the possibility of Agbeko running the point in 2014 because somebody compared him to LBJ when he committed...

I see very few similarities between RA and Lyndon Baines or Lady Bird Johnson.

GRANDY FOR POINT GUARD IN 2014!

Come on jbiz, I'm still waiting ... can we do this another day?

I do remember GG stealing a ball from a guard up top, so maybe his being a pg is realistic at least defensively. If his vision checks out he should be ok to give it a try. Quick feet and hands to go along with good vision. In addition there was that pic that looked like he had handles ... so, seems like a done deal to me.

We like Lady Bird for cleaning the highways of billboard clutter and GG for exciting potential-let's hope he doesn't graduate without fulfilling his own expectations. He is fast and strong and that could be the only similarity to Lyndon Johnson. My mother stopped being a democrat once he became president and she came from a long line of Irish, Catholic poll workers.

Come on jbiz, I'm still waiting ... can we do this another day?

I do remember GG stealing a ball from a guard up top, so maybe his being a pg is realistic at least defensively. If his vision checks out he should be ok to give it a try. Quick feet and hands to go along with good vision. In addition there was that pic that looked like he had handles ... so, seems like a done deal to me.

*Sigh* Fine. Guess I just get to go to happy hour a little earlier today.

It will be impossible to replace DE/Dwight of course when he graduates, but after seeing how effective a physical 3 can be in our offense, it got me thinking that maybe Grandy could bring some of that in 2014. I'm not suggesting GG would be our primary 3... a guy like Crawford will probably also figure in and some yet to be named recruit will also be in the mix. I'm also not saying GG would be anywhere near as good as DE, but our offense really seems to be about creating mismatches. It seems the key to making it work is having a 3 who is quick enough athlete to guard the opposing 3, but also strong enough on offense to overpower smaller 3's inside. I think GG could be capable of that. In 2014, if you paired Grandy with a stretch 4 like Lancona, he could be effective against weaker 3s. I welcome feedback from our resident x's and o's experts.

dumpster-diving.jpg

i'd say it's 50/50. maybe more, maybe less. grandy is the balls. but he is certainly no shaft. he is simply a part of the billies' productive organ.

Besides, beginning with roy I think these attacks against me in this thread are all politically motivated. :lol:

Sorry ace, I would have had the same response (wow!) To the thought of glaze being a small forward had it been posted by Ronald Reagan or Thomas Jefferson.

Actually though the thread didn't become unreadable until skip started with the initials again.

Sure, the idea of a 6-6 forward possibly seeing some time at small forward by the time he is a senior is as crazy as Agbeko playing point.. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-basketball/story/_/id/3742575/glaze-coming-american-game/

I don't think the idea of Grandy getting a few minutes at the 3 is as outlandish as others on here, but this article is pretty much irrelevant. Not only is it completely out-dated, but as another poster (I cannot recall who) said in a thread about Agbeko playing the 3 generally kids always want to play a spot below where they actually fit in college because that is how it works in the NBA. You don't see many 6-6 PFs in the NBA, so a 6-6 kid is going to think "I should be playing the 3" when in reality he should be a 4 and doesn't have NBA talent.

Wait a minute, you start out by suggesting Grandy will never get time at the 3, but then go on to say it is time time stop talking about players as traditional 1, 2 and 3. ;)

Not that Brian needs me to defend him, but I thought that phrase, "that said," ought to have covered it.

I don't think the idea of Grandy getting a few minutes at the 3 is as outlandish as others on here, but this article is pretty much irrelevant. Not only is it completely out-dated, but as another poster (I cannot recall who) said in a thread about Agbeko playing the 3 generally kids always want to play a spot below where they actually fit in college because that is how it works in the NBA. You don't see many 6-6 PFs in the NBA, so a 6-6 kid is going to think "I should be playing the 3" when in reality he should be a 4 and doesn't have NBA talent.

Correct, it is an outdated article and I agree that kids want to play a spot below. Coaches also often want them to explore it as well, Heck, RM even talked about BC possibly seeing some time at the 3. It rarely if ever happened (although I recall Cory, RL and BC being on the floor at the same time a couple times) and it very well may never happen with Grandy, but one thing I have enjoyed about our team is that we have been a bit unconventional with our lineups. Brian raises a good point that a lot of teams are not as rigid regarding how they view positions (that was certainly how RM viewed it)... I think that is all the more reason that in 2014, you could see a combo like Manning, Lancona and Grandy on the floor at the same time.

Correct, it is an outdated article and I agree that kids want to play a spot below. Coaches also often want them to explore it as well, Heck, RM even talked about BC possibly seeing some time at the 3. It rarely if ever happened (although I recall Cory, RL and BC being on the floor at the same time a couple times) and it very well may never happen with Grandy, but one thing I have enjoyed about our team is that we have been a bit unconventional with our lineups. Brian raises a good point that a lot of teams are not as rigid regarding how they view positions (that was certainly how RM viewed it)... I think that is all the more reason that in 2014, you could see a combo like Manning, Lancona and Grandy on the floor at the same time.

Other than when it's mop-up time because the Bills are leading (or, God forbid, trailing) by >20 in the last couple of minutes?

Other than when it's mop-up time because the Bills are leading (or, God forbid, trailing) by >20 in the last couple of minutes?

We shall see. RM and now JC have shown a willingness to play a wide variety of lineups based on match-ups.

Your debate was that DE was a guard not a big. There really wasn't any need for the debate.

Summer!!

Actually the debate began when we were talking about recruiting and bigs. I listed DE as a guard or non big.

But previous to that there was a long debate about whether he was a 3 or a 4.