2014 Commit #1 Davell Roby (Guard)

#SLU has received a commitment from 2014 Davell Roby, per @JohnMartinCA. He visited the #Billikens yesterday.

I decided that a new commit deserved it's own thread.

Scout has Roby as a 3-star 6-4 PG out of White Station HS in Memphis. Other offers listed are Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Wake Forest.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Jayson Tatum's mom on SLU's latest commit:

@BWeixScout looking forward to the story. That's a good look for SLU!!!! He's niiiiiiccccceeeee!!!!

This probably means nothing, but I'll grasp at anything that indicates SLU has a chance with Tatum.

Against better judgement, I'm going to go ahead and read into that tweet way too much.

Tatum's dad and his mom are divorced. Rumors go that they have had some dispute over where Jayson went to high school and that his mom was the one pulling the strings. We all know about Justin's connection to SLU and it seems as if that can't but work in our favor. And then here we have his mom tweeting positives about SLU. If both parents like what they see out of SLU, that has to help the Bills.

Wow really good get for the staff. Now the hard part...getting to NLI day.

I'm very impressed by the recruiting Crews and company have done so far. I think that was everyone's fear going into this coaching regime.

I like this:

Davell Roby: "I really found out about (SLU) when Memphis lost to them in the NCAA Tournament."

Writing against deadline, but I think Saint Louis is a perfect fit for Roby. Athletic slasher with good length. He can help early.

Coach Majerus was the gift that keeps on giving.

Wow.

I'll say this. I knew NOTHING about this guy until today. And then I started watching some video and reading reports. The kid is legit, a 6-4, 200-pound point guard. That's NBA size for the position. He had the whole SEC - not an exaggeration - having offered him, plus Memphis, Wake Forest, and others. This dude is a big get.

He plays HS ball with a 5-star recruit (Leron Black), second banana to this guy but in his own right a very, very impressive player. I'm absolutely beside myself in how responding to how well this staff is recruiting top-level talent.

We're gradutating 5. He'll contribute immediately.

Of perhaps further note, Jayson Tatum tweeted "FB!" to Roby, to which our new commit responded "gotcha."

Not gonna speculate as to the significance of that, but glad to know they are friends.

^That kind of stuff is good news. Might be nothing, might be something. Bottom line is that it can't hurt to have the top local target and his mom pumped about this commitment to the local school.

I've got a Sunday night buzz going after a lot of beer in the last 4 hours. But I'm pumped about this development.

^That kind of stuff is good news. Might be nothing, might be something. Bottom line is that it can't hurt to have the top local target and his mom pumped about this commitment to the local school.

I've got a Sunday night buzz going after a lot of beer in the last 4 hours. But I'm pumped about this development.

Nice get and great to see the Tatum family showing some love! That can't be a bad sign!

Excellent signing here; Great sized PG with multiple speeds, and very good handle. Starting off as another homerun recruiting class. This staff is pretty impressive IMO.

one thing im wondering is, I have now seen dozens of things on twitter talking about his commitment to slu. About half those mofos claim him as in fact a SG? a PG/SG is an odd mix up, IF hes a defined PG. What im getting at is IF hes a SG, does this mess with home boy ash.

one thing im wondering is, I have now seen dozens of things on twitter talking about his commitment to slu. About half those mofos claim him as in fact a SG? a PG/SG is an odd mix up, IF hes a defined PG. What im getting at is IF hes a SG, does this mess with home boy ash.

I'll cede authority to anyone who GSTKP, but if he's listed as both a PG (verbal commits, yahoo rivals) and a SG (espn), I'll assume he's a combo guard capable of playing either the 1 or the 2.