Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• all five starters, gone
  • 6 BIGS, 3 freshmen, 2 sophs with very little experience, one senior role player, limited by injuries to boot (no experienced BIGS = always a disaster... think of Conklin, Ellis, Loe, Evans, Remekun, GG, when they got experience, then we made our run)
  • 6 freshmen, 3 sophs, 2 jr's, 1 senior... a bad distribution of players, a result of the recruiting gap with Majerus's failing health. Sh*t.
  • no senior leadership
  • one junior who played well... though inconsistent
  • so no upper class leadership
  • no consistent point guard emerged from all of the candidates
  • a few players who showed significant talent also tried too hard, led to turnovers and blocked shots

Then, after the grand experiment of using a 12 man rotation failed to identify a solid 8-9 man rotation, the team fell apart the last 5 games, reasons unknown.

We have enough talent (2* and 3* players this board was very pleased with when they signed) and strong coaching to have a good year next year (20 wins) and then to the dance the year after that... The same bunch of loser-whiners on here panic, throw mud, over and over and over... we shall see.

Yeah, I'm the "loser-whiner" but you're the one making excuses for the guy who just led SLU to its worst season in over two decades, and who has the future looking bleaker than ever. This program has too many chicken littles among the fan base, with MB73 leading the way.

Everyone knew we were going to be down this year. No one thought (go ahead, glance at the preseason prediction thread) that the team would be this abysmal. The team looked better when I saw them play Indiana State in November than they did down the stretch in the A10. Inexcusable.

Failures of leadership that you only blame on upperclassmen go all the way to the top - Crews. If the veteran players were buying what he was selling, they'd have stepped up and been leaders. But they don't, so they didn't. I saw this happen under Soderberg despite a roster with a more even class distribution and plenty of upperclassmen.

How can you write all of those bullet points without holding the coach accountable? The total lack of leadership, complete lack of development, failed 'grand experiment' and failure to identify a steady rotation - who do you think drives these things?

I can't believe a degenerate gambler like you would actually predict 20 wins next season.

SLU jumped from 12 wins to 26 wins not that long ago with minimal roster turnover.

But there's no Kwamain waiting in the wings, and this freshman crop is a far cry from that one, and Crews is no Majerus. I watched that season thinking 'We're going to be good really soon' and this one thinking, 'We're not going to be good again for a long time.'

Butler's turnaround has been a big story this year, and (to date) they've improved by "only" eight wins.

An improvement of nine wins for SLU next year would have to include an even softer non-conference schedule (nearly impossible) or would require literally quadrupling our A-10 win total from this year. I predicted 20 regular season wins this year, and even I am not dumb enough to expect that in the rosiest possible scenario for next year.

You should try chillin' the most.

Unlike his players, Crews is getting paid a lot of money. He's responsible for the decisions that get made within the program. The fact that the sophomore class is a bust is on him because he recruited them, and he's the one who is paid to coach them.

THat's a good one bud.

1. You have no idea how much Crews is getting paid.

2. So you are claiming that Crawford and Reggie are busts? If so, there is no need to engage in discussion with you further.

SLU jumped from 12 wins to 26 wins not that long ago with minimal roster turnover.

But there's no Kwamain waiting in the wings, and this freshman crop is a far cry from that one, and Crews is no Majerus. I watched that season thinking 'We're going to be good really soon' and this one thinking, 'We're not going to be good again for a long time.'

And at the end of that season we won 4 in a row, gave a CBI-bound Rhode Island a game, and competed well with a ranked Xavier team. There was plenty to be excited about, especially in light of Kwamain's return.

When I hear about Roby, Crawford, and Reynolds working hard I get a fraction of that excitement back. We desperately need leadership on this team next season.

THat's a good one bud.

2. So you are claiming that Crawford and Reggie are busts? If so, there is no need to engage in discussion with you further.

Crews is getting paid a lot of money.

To get somewhat back on track with recruiting, does anyone else feel that the only strength of this team is at the 2/3? Crawford, Roby, Yacoubou, Yarbrough. Yet our staff seems to be concentrating on that position for this class.

They have to focus somewhere, I guess. I know I'm in the minority, but I still look at Yarbrough as a 4, unless and until his mid-range game gets a lot better. And we certainly don't need any more big men unless several transfer.

They ought to be focusing on guards of any description, I think. Is that not the case?

THat's a good one bud.

1. I have a pretty good idea of the range, and he is objectively making a lot of money. This isn't even a topic of debate.

2. Please point to where I said called them busts, or even implied that. I said Crawford looks the same as he did last year in limited minutes (i.e. he looked good, but he didn't show major strides; bigger numbers were the result of longer minutes, period, and his per-minute averages went down as he had some ineffective games sprinkled in.). The jury is still out on Reggie. He managed to get some good rebounding numbers together as the season went on (37 rebounds in his last 5 games), but he's still incredibly raw on both ends and frequently looks lost. He still looked like a freshman more often than not. He had nothing but opportunity this season but averaged 3.7 points and 3.5 rebounds and didn't start getting solid minutes until mid-February. Let's temper our expectations here.

You've proven to be an ignorant poster. My ignore list just grew by 1.

1. I have a pretty good idea of the range, and he is objectively making a lot of money. This isn't even a topic of debate.

2. Please point to where I said called them busts, or even implied that. I said Crawford looks the same as he did last year in limited minutes (i.e. he looked good, but he didn't show major strides; bigger numbers were the result of longer minutes, period, and his per-minute averages went down as he had some ineffective games sprinkled in.). The jury is still out on Reggie. He managed to get some good rebounding numbers together as the season went on (37 rebounds in his last 5 games), but he's still incredibly raw on both ends and frequently looks lost. He still looked like a freshman more often than not. He had nothing but opportunity this season but averaged 3.7 points and 3.5 rebounds and didn't start getting solid minutes until mid-February. Let's temper our expectations here.

You've proven to be an ignorant poster. My ignore list just grew by 1.

1. A lot of $ compared to you or a lot of money compared to his peers?

2. Here is a direct quote from you where you called them a bust: "The fact that the sophomore class is a bust is on him because he recruited them, and he's the one who is paid to coach them" No word mincing there.

1. Ridiculous. Just stop. He makes a lot of money to do his job.

2. That's actually a good point, I did say that. It has been a bust class so far, which is undeniable. I don't think Crawford is a bust. Agbeko will be if he doesn't start contributing more seriously and consistently. I watch him and don't share the optimism of others. I think his ceiling is "rebounding role player." Lancona is objectively a total bust, which offsets the slow-if-at-all improvement of the other two.

They have to focus somewhere, I guess. I know I'm in the minority, but I still look at Yarbrough as a 4, unless and until his mid-range game gets a lot better. And we certainly don't need any more big men unless several transfer.

They ought to be focusing on guards of any description, I think. Is that not the case?

I agree on Yarbrough as a 4. I agree we need guards, but getting 6'5 guys who project as slashers and not ballhandlers doesn't seem to be the best approach to me. But none of us see what goes on in practice. Maybe the staff really believes Reynolds, Bartley or even Roby can be that guy who can initiate the offense. I think we all agree we were best when we had Mitchell, Jett, and McCall. But it seems to me like we're recruiting more Crawfords, Barnetts, and Yacoubous.

We may have more than just TL's to fill. Doesn't sound like AM is too anxious to come back either. But if we do have two to fill, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any FR out there are going to have much of an impact on next year. Any transfers will be practice fodder for next season. The only help we could look to would be a JUCO or two, and you know how successful we've been on enticing good JUCOs to SLU.

He is making a lot of money compared to the players, which was the original point. Silly.

The original statement said he makes a lot of money. Any college coach makes a lot of money compared to their players (even including Kentucky). My point was that Crews is not highly paid for an A10 coach. He certainly is not highly paid for an A10 coach coming off back to back COY awards. My second point to that was very few people who post on this board probably know how much he actually makes; and speaking about what you don't know as fact is usually unwise.