Recruiting 2015

Recruiting the top 50 would still be easier if we were in the Beast, but why stress over thing you can't change? I'd be selling our budding rivalry w/ VCU, our kind of regional rivalry w/ UD, and that we're trying to put WSU on the annual schedule (which we should be doing). I'm also hoping we're trying to schedule Indiana and other Big 10 teams. And get those Zaga games back. If we can't be in the Beast, we ought to be doing everything schedule wise to show recruits we're just as major as them. I know scheduling's not easy for us, but we at least ought to be able to manage a couple of non con games against the name mid majors.

Yeah, I agree with the scheduling thing. I would give 2 for 1s to some "name" programs in non-conference. A couple years ago, I actually thought we weren't good enough to demand a home game from anyone. Thankfully, that time should be in the rearview mirror. I don't think the Big East thing is going to happen, so we have to play up what we do have even more.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Whitt is a name I mentioned a while back and Ben and others seemed to think that we were not in on him at that time. From what I remember, he and his family have a previous relationship with Mike Anderson and Melvin Watkins at Arkansas from their time at Mizzou and that he is friends with walk-on Manuale Watkins, Melvin's son, making them an early favorite. However, it seems like he has really blown up this spring and is receiving interest from more elite programs like Kansas and UNC.

I am happy to hear we are involved with Whitt as he appears to be a big time talent and it would be nice to sign some of the top talent locally/in the state. It does not seem like he is close to making a decision (although I would be fine if he surprises us), but it is nice to get a visit and hopefully we can find a place as he starts to narrow his list later in the summer.

If he doesn't become a Billiken then I hope he ends up at Arkansas. I like when they beat Missouri and to me that will be the 2nd best thing.

I will be a bit disappointed if we do not land a Top 150-50 caliber recruit either this year or next.

So let me play devils advocate a bit. Let's say we are recruiting a 2015 kid and he's ranked about 200 (which would basically be higher then all 9 we just signed over the last two years). He says he's ready to commit but he's not going to be particularly happy if we tell him to hold off for a while. He understands that we have only 1 to give and wants to lock it in. If we keep him hanging maybe he feels slighted and ends up at Dayton or Butler or somewhere like that. What do you do?

Its an impossible question to answer for those of us not on the coaching staff as you'd have to know how likely it is that we are to land someone ranked between 50 and 150. You'd also have to know if we are in pretty tight with a couple other guys ranked 200-250 or if the next best player we have a legitimate chance at is ranked 400 or so.

p.s. I'm using the ranking numbers as examples just to show how our staff would feel about a player. Of course they are not the end all be all of player analysis.

JettFlight, I think the Beast will happen eventually. That's another reason we've got to stay very competitive and fill the Fetz with good non con opponents, so we can show them good college hoops is a draw in Saint Louis. One of the reasons I think it will happen in the not too distant future is the costs of travel for the non revenue sports. I mean Creighton must be spending a pile of money on travel for their baseball, softball, and soccer teams. But who knows maybe Buffet's footing the bill for it. The same's got to hold true for MU and DePaul. Therefore, I think it's only good economics that they need to add two more Midwest teams.

JettFlight, I think the Beast will happen eventually. That's another reason we've got to stay very competitive and fill the Fetz with good non con opponents, so we can show them good college hoops is a draw in Saint Louis. One of the reasons I think it will happen in the not too distant future is the costs of travel for the non revenue sports. I mean Creighton must be spending a pile of money on travel for their baseball, softball, and soccer teams. But who knows maybe Buffet's footing the bill for it. The same's got to hold true for MU and DePaul. Therefore, I think it's only good economics that they need to add two more Midwest teams.

I would love to see that happen.

So let me play devils advocate a bit. Let's say we are recruiting a 2015 kid and he's ranked about 200 (which would basically be higher then all 9 we just signed over the last two years). He says he's ready to commit but he's not going to be particularly happy if we tell him to hold off for a while. He understands that we have only 1 to give and wants to lock it in. If we keep him hanging maybe he feels slighted and ends up at Dayton or Butler or somewhere like that. What do you do?

Its an impossible question to answer for those of us not on the coaching staff as you'd have to know how likely it is that we are to land someone ranked between 50 and 150. You'd also have to know if we are in pretty tight with a couple other guys ranked 200-250 or if the next best player we have a legitimate chance at is ranked 400 or so.

p.s. I'm using the ranking numbers as examples just to show how our staff would feel about a player. Of course they are not the end all be all of player analysis.

Yes, not an easy question to answer. Most importantly is how well our staff evaluates talent. I understand those ratings are certainly not the be all and end all. Sure, if our staff can land another great under rated recruit like Evans, go for it. But, I know I have referred to them a few times, Xavier is an example of a program that over the years stepped up their recruiting and starting landing recruits in that 150-50 range. And you can certainly find examples of over-rated recruits, but I think incrementally stepping up the level of recruiting is key to sustaining success. Having a highly rated recruit doesn't guarantee success, but it increases your odds.

I guess I am confident that we can now attract a lot of interest in that 200-300 range, so let's set our focus first on the 150-50 range, before working our way down. We have that luxury with our recent success coupled with the current scholarship situation. Getting a visit from this kid Whitt is a positive sign.

Yes, not an easy question to answer. Most importantly is how well our staff evaluates talent. I understand those ratings are certainly not the be all and end all. Sure, if our staff can land another great under rated recruit like Evans, go for it. But, I know I have referred to them a few times, Xavier is an example of a program that over the years stepped up their recruiting and starting landing recruits in that 150-50 range. And you can certainly find examples of over-rated recruits, but I think incrementally stepping up the level of recruiting is key to sustaining success. Having a highly rated recruit doesn't guarantee success, but it increases your odds.

I guess I am confident that we can now attract a lot of interest in that 200-300 range, so let's set our focus first on the 150-50 range, before working our way down. We have that luxury with our recent success coupled with the current scholarship situation. Getting a visit from this kid Whitt is a positive sign.

Doesn't Whitt's Dad work for State U?

This exact scenario could very well play out. Tatum's class is a strong one in the stl area. We have what 2 scholarships to give for that class? We may be frontrunners on 3 locals who are all top 200, but one is top 5. Do we pull the trigger on the other kids first? Do you take the surefire 4 star player or wait on the 5 star and possibly lose on all of them.

This exact scenario could very well play out. Tatum's class is a strong one in the stl area. We have what 2 scholarships to give for that class? We may be frontrunners on 3 locals who are all top 200, but one is top 5. Do we pull the trigger on the other kids first? Do you take the surefire 4 star player or wait on the 5 star and possibly lose on all of them.

Who are the 3 locals that are top 200 in 2016? Jordan Barnes and Tyler Cook?

Tatum will have a scholarship if he wants to come here. It's not like we would be done recruiting him if 2 other guys committed beforehand. A scholarship would open up

Tatum will have a scholarship if he wants to come here. It's not like we would be done recruiting him if 2 other guys committed beforehand. A scholarship would open up

Another way to look at it is that the four star might stick around for all four years and become a great player whereas the five star is going pro after one year.

We aren't UK. If we have 2 scholarships to give and two commitments, Tatum will stop considering us even if we ensure him a scholarship will open up at the end of the season.

Let's hope this works on Whitt and Tatum

"In the spring of 2013, SMU coach Larry Brown made a recruiting visit to the home of the highest-rated point guard in the freshman class of 2014, a 6-foot-5 slasher named Emmanuel Mudiay. During that visit Brown handed Mudiay a photo and told him, "This was the greatest team ever." The greatest alliance ever, too: It was a picture of the 1992 Dream Team. "But something a lot of people don't talk about," Brown said to Mudiay and his family, "is where these guys chose to go to college."

Hometowns and alma maters spilled forth: Charles Barkley, from Leeds, Ala., went to Auburn. Larry Bird, from French Lick, Ind., went to Indiana and then Indiana State. Clyde Drexler, from Houston, went to Houston. Magic Johnson, from Lansing, Mich., went to Michigan State. Michael Jordan, from Wilmington, N.C., went to North Carolina. Karl Malone, from Summerfield, La., went to Louisiana Tech. Chris Mullin, from Brooklyn, N.Y., went to St. John's. Scottie Pippen, from Hamburg, Ark., went to Central Arkansas. David Robinson, a Navy brat, went to the U.S. Naval Academy. John Stockton, from Spokane, Wash., went to Gonzaga. Aside from Patrick Ewing (who went from Jamaica and Cambridge, Mass., to Georgetown) and Christian Laettner (Angola, N.Y., to Duke), everyone had essentially stayed home."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140604/emmanuel-mudiay-larry-brown-smu/#ixzz33lk1EyLh

We aren't UK. If we have 2 scholarships to give and two commitments, Tatum will stop considering us even if we ensure him a scholarship will open up at the end of the season.

You're wrong. I'm not acting like we're UK. It's not like we've never asked a player to move along, though. And if that scenario were to occur, which is a complete hypothetical at this point, we would make room for Tatum.

Let's hope this works on Whitt and Tatum

"In the spring of 2013, SMU coach Larry Brown made a recruiting visit to the home of the highest-rated point guard in the freshman class of 2014, a 6-foot-5 slasher named Emmanuel Mudiay. During that visit Brown handed Mudiay a photo and told him, "This was the greatest team ever." The greatest alliance ever, too: It was a picture of the 1992 Dream Team. "But something a lot of people don't talk about," Brown said to Mudiay and his family, "is where these guys chose to go to college."

Hometowns and alma maters spilled forth: Charles Barkley, from Leeds, Ala., went to Auburn. Larry Bird, from French Lick, Ind., went to Indiana and then Indiana State. Clyde Drexler, from Houston, went to Houston. Magic Johnson, from Lansing, Mich., went to Michigan State. Michael Jordan, from Wilmington, N.C., went to North Carolina. Karl Malone, from Summerfield, La., went to Louisiana Tech. Chris Mullin, from Brooklyn, N.Y., went to St. John's. Scottie Pippen, from Hamburg, Ark., went to Central Arkansas. David Robinson, a Navy brat, went to the U.S. Naval Academy. John Stockton, from Spokane, Wash., went to Gonzaga. Aside from Patrick Ewing (who went from Jamaica and Cambridge, Mass., to Georgetown) and Christian Laettner (Angola, N.Y., to Duke), everyone had essentially stayed home."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140604/emmanuel-mudiay-larry-brown-smu/#ixzz33lk1EyLh

Time for JC to follow Larry Brown's lead. He can also cite the fact that both he and CC were Indiana natives who stayed at home and did ok. Also, the Legend, 10 years in the NBA, Bonner, +10 years in the NBA. Staying at home doesn't mean the end of your career, and you'll be playing before your parents, relatives, friends, etc. And the biggest plus, Mom will be nearby to do your laundry. Of course, should you go to UK, KU, or UNC, etc. they'll provide you with your own personal valet, and the sports dorm offers gold star concierge service.

He also tweeted that the kid was born in St. Louis and has family here.

Reading Ben's article it was clear that the visit went well and we have a shot. But I wouldn't get too excited just yet. He's got a whole lot of big-boy suitors and Arkansas has long been rumored to have the inside track.

This is one of those deals where we should hope he plays poorly in the July evaluation period and some cool on him. We'll still have to beat out some power 5 schools like Arkansas and Mizzou but I like that better than having to also beat out Kansas and UNC.

Arkansas sounds like a Suggs-Romar situation where the family's good friends with Anderson. Hard to beat that kind of bond. Still, it's good to see the staff going after quality players like Whitt and Tatum.

I found out from my Arkansas sports insider that Manny Watkins and Jimmy Whitt are good friends and that he is really pushing him hard to come to Arkansas. I am thinking Arkansas has a good shot at him, but if the big boys actually offer, all bets may be off.