Recruiting 2015

So on July 16, Ben Weixlmann tweets out a new name on the Bills 2015 radar and it is met with ................. SILENCE. I know Ben's got a premium site but it's almost a week now. So who is it or do we have him listed on Steve's Wiki list already?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So on July 16, Ben Weixlmann tweets out a new name on the Bills 2015 radar and it is met with ................. SILENCE. I know Ben's got a premium site but it's almost a week now. So who is it or do we have him listed on Steve's Wiki list already?

I will usually report a name if I can verify independently or see that someone else has reported it. In this case that hasn't happened.

I will usually report a name if I can verify independently or see that someone else has reported it. In this case that hasn't happened.

Same. If there was any chatter on twitter, I would post it here. In this case, I believe the kid isn't a big enough "name" to generate buzz.

Matthew Neufeld. Big from Canada.

FYI - I don't subscribe to Ben's website, so hopefully he doesn't think people are stealing stuff from his board.

Very Very bare bones recruiting page made:

http://www.billikens.com/recruiting/index.php/Matthew_Neufeld

Matthew Neufeld. Big from Canada.

FYI - I don't subscribe to Ben's website, so hopefully he doesn't think people are stealing stuff from his board.

In that case this guy appears to be a reach. He only has an offer from American, He is from British Columbia. I don't know how much actual interest we have.

Remember that if Ben W catches a member disclosing the info he posts then he banishes them from his site so no wonder the name has not surfaced

Remember that if Ben W catches a member disclosing the info he posts then he banishes them from his site so no wonder the name has not surfaced

How many members does Ben have? Does he provide much value?

I find these 25-45 year old men that spend their days calling, texting, and tweeting high school boys to be amusing.

I cancelled mine. Too expensive. If they had up to date recruiting info it might be different. Last time I looked Scout still did not list all of our LOI's for 2014

This is not true.

I'm a big supporter of Ben's but this may be his last year with the site. At our level its best to have a college kid, post grad running it who is looking to enhance his journalism background. You can't make money doing it, we simply don't have the fan support. Ben has moved past that stage, its hard to juggle a life, a full time job and a scout website. His coverage has waned but he still breaks a lot of stories, nobody else has his sources and is interested in disseminating the information in this market.

This is not true.

I'm a big supporter of Ben's but this may be his last year with the site. At our level its best to have a college kid, post grad running it who is looking to enhance his journalism background. You can't make money doing it, we simply don't have the fan support. Ben has moved past that stage, its hard to juggle a life, a full time job and a scout website. His coverage has waned but he still breaks a lot of stories, nobody else has his sources and is interested in disseminating the information in this market.

I've never really understood some of the animosity toward the guys trying to run a SLU Scout site - Ben and Nate before that. While the paid site may not be for everybody, the more outlets talking SLU hoops the better. Seemingly every big time program has at least one Scout type site. It would be a shame if it went away. Maybe some day there will be enough interest where somebody can make a buck or two providing good SLU content. And if Ben chooses to do something else, hopefully some other young guy will step in and help fill the void.

Having a reporter like Ben talking to recruits may in some small way actually help recruiting. It shows that somebody out there is interested that the kid is considering SLU. It gets the kid to talk about SLU and think some more why they are interested in the program. It makes the program seem like a bigger deal. If the kid is a decent level recruit, you can be sure he is talking to reporters covering other schools. Timmermann sure is heck will not be making calls to recruits, so I'm glad somebody covering SLU is.

I've never really understood some of the animosity toward the guys trying to run a SLU Scout site - Ben and Nate before that. While the paid site may not be for everybody, the more outlets talking SLU hoops the better. Seemingly every big time program has at least one Scout type site. It would be a shame if it went away. Maybe some day there will be enough interest where somebody can make a buck or two providing good SLU content. And if Ben chooses to do something else, hopefully some other young guy will step in and help fill the void.

Having a reporter like Ben talking to recruits may in some small way actually help recruiting. It shows that somebody out there is interested that the kid is considering SLU. It gets the kid to talk about SLU and think some more why they are interested in the program. It makes the program seem like a bigger deal. If the kid is a decent level recruit, you can be sure he is talking to reporters covering other schools. Timmermann sure is heck will not be making calls to recruits, so I'm glad somebody covering SLU is.

Great post Ace and dead on, especially the part about how it can help in the recruiting process.

The animosity some feel toward Ben, and those that pay for his site if they don't repeat all of the information on this board, is unreal.

The animosity some feel toward Ben, and those that pay for his site if they don't repeat all of the information on this board, is unreal.

I have no animosity towards Ben or scout, I was just commenting on how I am amused by grown men that make their living calling, texting, and tweeting with high school boys.

I have no animosity towards Ben or scout, I was just commenting on how I am amused by grown men that make their living calling, texting, and tweeting with high school boys.

College coaches do it most of the time.

-I agree

If I had exclusive information from my hard work, I would want compensation as well. Plus, he actually goes see the kids play.

I'm glad Ben's around. My issue with him has always been that I think he routinely takes info from this board and twitter and acts as if he generated the lead. That said, he does provide a fair amount of original content it would seem.

My issue with him has always been that I think he routinely takes info from... twitter and acts as if he generated the lead.

This could literally describe any journalist today. It is hilarious when you follow a bunch of college basketball guys on twitter. One of them tweets that so and so was offered by Duke. Then a minute later there are 5 others who tweet "Per a source, so and so has been offered by Duke."

This could literally describe any journalist today. It is hilarious when you follow a bunch of college basketball guys on twitter. One of them tweets that so and so was offered by Duke. Then a minute later there are 5 others who tweet "Per a source, so and so has been offered by Duke."

Twitter has removed a lot of credibility from journalism, sports in particular. Someone always breaks a story first and in the print media is almost always given credit for it. On social media it is rare.

I believe a lot of the animosity for for the Scout site was brought on by how Nate introduced it here. It just continued with certain posters over time. By and large I've been satisfied with the service they provide, but especially for our program, its a service that understandably few would be interested in using.

Twitter has removed a lot of credibility from journalism, sports in particular. Someone always breaks a story first and in the print media is almost always given credit for it. On social media it is rare.

I believe a lot of the animosity for for the Scout site was brought on by how Nate introduced it here. It just continued with certain posters over time. By and large I've been satisfied with the service they provide, but especially for our program, its a service that understandably few would be interested in using.

Get my info from Billikens.com!

Eh, I disagree. I liked Nate, and still do to this day.