Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rasheed Shabazz could slam dunk, too, but Grawer had him ride the pine...that may have been a factor in coach G's termination.

Coach Grawer mistrusted talent because of Kevin Footes- who wants a 6-8 guy who blocks shots, catches the block, dribbles full length of the court and dunks the ball-that is not the way the game is meant to be played. I do remember Shabazz he was quick but would have been better off red shirting for all the time he got. Did he play somewhere after leaving the Bills?

Freshman walk-on Grant Hollander was dismissed from the basketball program this week. Was a high school teammate of Jayson Tatum at Chaminade. Definitely doesn't help the recruitment of him.

You talking about this article?

http://archauthority.com/2015/02/12/hollander-dismissed-billiken-basketball/

This guy's tone seems pretty needlessly salacious to me. I agree it's a shame to lose a former teammate of Tatum's, but I've never heard anything about the two being particularly close. I can't imagine losing the chance to have had a passing acquaintance with a walk-on would factor too heavily in his decision.

This guy's tone seems pretty needlessly salacious to me. I agree it's a shame to lose a former teammate of Tatum's, but I've never heard anything about the two being particularly close. I can't imagine losing the chance to have had a passing acquaintance with a walk-on would factor too heavily in his decision.

Agreed. I don't know JC at all, but based on the wonderful NYT (?) article about JC and his boy that ran last year, I have a hard time believing the author of the current story has even a remotely accurate account of what happened. And I am certainly no JC apologist.

Methinks you should look up the definition of "salacious".

When you said this guy's tone I thought you were referring to the player. I agree the writer's tone is not good.

I gotta agree with crews on this one. Basketball first. I like the fight in crews. Great article.

The kid signed up for it, so it's hard to come down on Crews for this one. Being a walk-on is a huge time commitment, I don't blame him for giving it a try and realizing the difficulties of being a serious student as well as playing basketball. I can't imagine this has any impact on our recruitment of Jayson Tatum and Tyler Cook.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/MizzouTigers/tabid/140/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/16492/Can-Mizzou-SLU-Land-Chaminades-JaysonTatum.aspx

Stipanovich and Grawer talk the possibility of Tatum to MIZ/SLU on Frank's show

Disclaimer: I haven't listened yet.

Nothing too earth shattering. Frank mentions Earl Austin Jr mentioned the other day that SLU doesn't really have to recruit him as much as stay in touch and make sure he knows, if he wants to stay home, he can. Anybody know if this was a radio interview? Anything else Earl said?

Other than that, they brought up the stuff everybody here does in just how big Larry Hughes was staying home and how they (a Hughes, Bonner) are looked at differently locally from a Carrawell. They said hopefully people around him are telling him the home town hero he can be and guarantee it would lead to more locals going to SLU. No insight on his recruiting.

They have taken this article down.

One of the bad things about all these blogs. They make every little thing into a "story" and then build it up. Its an exclusive for them just because no one else would ever think of covering it.

Best Walkons in SLU history

1. Jeff Leuchtefeld

2. John Redden

3. Paul Eckerle

Amazed and disappointed that none of you find a problem with Crews kicking a kid off the team not because his academics aren't good, but rather because he cares too much about his academics. It's not all about basketball. The point is to try and mold these young men. A lot of you can't see the bigger picture.

Amazed and disappointed that none of you find a problem with Crews kicking a kid off the team not because his academics aren't good, but rather because he cares too much about his academics. It's not all about basketball. The point is to try and mold these young men. A lot of you can't see the bigger picture.

He was one of the walk-ons. They are on the team for practices and if he can't handle basketball and academics, Crews needs to find someone who can. I mean, we talkin bout walk-ons.....walk-ons....we talkin bout walk-ons....not a scholarship player...we talkin bout walk-ons...

maxresdefault.jpg

Still wondering why these guys took the story down if it really is that awful.

I don't feel like he really "kicked him off the team". Maybe Hollander wants it to look like that but that's not how I took it.

It has the feel of a friend writing the article for Hollander. I've learned my lesson on these articles after ESPN spoke too soon on the Jared Drew situation.

My only issue with crews is that he engaged in the conversation with the walkon before kicking him off the team.

BackHand and how do we know what was said in such a supposed conversation with Crews or even if the conversation did or did not happen as described? All we have is some kind of tract published and then retracted, most likely because it was very questionable. How do we know if there was nothing else involved like attitude or poor performance or family pressure to leave the team and improve grades? Why use this to heap yet more criticism on the coach? Why waste time on hear say, innuendo, and opinion? There are enough concerns about the team and the way things are going this year to add this one to the pile.

BackHand and how do we know what was said in such a supposed conversation with Crews or even if the conversation did or did not happen as described? All we have is some kind of tract published and then retracted, most likely because it was very questionable. How do we know if there was nothing else involved like attitude or poor performance or family pressure to leave the team and improve grades? Why use this to heap yet more criticism on the coach? Why waste time on hear say, innuendo, and opinion? There are enough concerns about the team and the way things are going this year to add this one to the pile.

I think you misunderstood my comment. Basketball before academics unless your academics are going to get you suspended....in that scenario, take easier classes.