Breaking - Biondi Has Resigned

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A "White Paper?" "Best Practices?"

With all due respect, if this is something you have to do a "case study" on, you're in no place to be the Chairman of a Board of Directors at a top-100 national university. Jesus H. Christ.

This isn't the first time a university needed to replace an outgoing president with a new one.

I sense the velvet touch of Fr. B in this matter.

oh, i'm sure he's just strutting around in his house shoes, jerking off into his morning coffee. nothing like a steaming hot cup of larry to feed your ego. no need to rush this sort of thing. the motherfuoker might be gone by 2015.

Wow and good grief!! How tough can it be?? We are looking for an experienced Jesuit priest right??

If so, the pool of candidates cannot be that large. Shouldn't this be like moving up a younger Jesuit assistant or moving a Jesuit President of smaller school over to SLU?? Schools like X, Creighton, Santa Clara, Regis, Loyola Chicago, Loyola New Orleans, Springhill.... all come to mind. Older priests nearing retirement can be skipped over. For one, I suggest we make an offer to get Creighton's President who obviously is popular with the other new BE presidents and who could finalize the deal with us and the new Big East. Or, we could hire a popular #2 Jesuit from GTown or Marquette.

And yes, while not all SJ Presidents will want to leave the comfort of their current position, SLU is a lot bigger than most Jesuit universities and has more schools/departments, etc. and would seem to offer a lot of positives and challenges.

Wow and good grief!! How tough can it be?? We are looking for an experienced Jesuit priest right??

If so, the pool of candidates cannot be that large. Shouldn't this be like moving up a younger Jesuit assistant or moving a Jesuit President of smaller school over to SLU?? Schools like X, Creighton, Santa Clara, Regis, Loyola Chicago, Loyola New Orleans, Springhill.... all come to mind. Older priests nearing retirement can be skipped over. For one, I suggest we make an offer to get Creighton's President who obviously is popular with the other new BE presidents and who could finalize the deal with us and the new Big East. Or, we could hire a popular #2 Jesuit from GTown or Marquette.

And yes, while not all SJ Presidents will want to leave the comfort of their current position, SLU is a lot bigger than most Jesuit universities and has more schools/departments, etc. and would seem to offer a lot of positives and challenges.

Georgetown doesn't even have a Jesuit president anymore. It's a Fluke.

Update on the search for a new president: http://slu.edu/x86772.xml

Glad we're not rushing into this. :rolleyes:

I have been through a number Superintendent searches for school districts - what I can tell you is all this is just PR to make people think you are not leaving any stone unturned. Truth be told it could have already been done by now if they wanted - this will drag on for the entire year probably and don't be surprised if Biondi agrees to stay on for another year to help the Board have all the time they need. They post who said it will be 2015 may have been joking but he may have been closer to the truth then most would have thought.

As I said before Biondi will be in no hurry to give up his lifestyle.

Yes but he should not be in charge of this - that is what the Board of Trustees is suppose to be doing. If they leave this up to Biondi to drive the bus then the entire process will be a failure. They will end up with someone that Biondi wants to make him look good by failing or a Biondi clone and how does that help move things forward.

I have been through a number Superintendent searches for school districts - what I can tell you is all this is just PR to make people think you are not leaving any stone unturned. Truth be told it could have already been done by now if they wanted - this will drag on for the entire year probably and don't be surprised if Biondi agrees to stay on for another year to help the Board have all the time they need. They post who said it will be 2015 may have been joking but he may have been closer to the truth then most would have thought.

Do you suppose they already have a short list of candidates?

You may be right on cheeseman, but finding a new President for a top private university and a superintendant for a school district are very different things

I think the list goes something like this......

Rest of 2013 Biondi.

The first half of 2014, Biondi.

The second half of 2014, Biondi.

The first half of 2015, Biondi.

The second half of 2015, the Board announces they are seriously interviewing candidates. Also, they state they are glad Biondi has agreed to stall his retirement for the benifit of the school.

First half of 2016, Biondi......

well .... the process has been under wraps all summer, and seemingly mystified; but most things like this happen during the academic year. if this were "normal" (whatever that means), faculty would expect to do the search in the fall and invite some candidates to campus in the spring, for a long round of interviews and vetting; then a decision made by the end of spring semester, job beginning mid-summer.

But this situation is far from normal and faculty have not been well-informed, nor have we been engaged in the process -- so far. If the process is stalled/ stymied/ man-handled by our current regime, that will not surprise a lot of faculty. For instance, a search committee has not yet been announced. It will undoubtedly be very large (could be 10-15 members or more); and will probably include board members, faculty, and some administrators.

Still: I would be very, very surprised if a new president does not emerge, or is not announced, by March Madness or slightly afterwards. It is in the best interests of everyone (or almost everyone) to get this done in academic year 2013-14.

Does the Jesuit cloister have its own hierarchy? In other words being president of the university is Biondi also in charge of the Jesuits who reside or work at SLU?

It would seem they would have a board of their own separate than the school.

You may be right on cheeseman, but finding a new President for a top private university and a superintendant for a school district are very different things

Not really - the process is basically the same. Doc B's timetable is not unusual and what I would expect to happen if the process is being run correctly - but that is a big "if". I would think they have a short list but and if not then this whole thing is not going as it should.