SLU vs Mizzou still not a priority for Alden

From the Post-dispatch April 7, 2013

Alden was less specific about the notion of reviving a dormant basketball rivalry with SLU, a topic that surfaced anew when the Tigers and Billikens were bracketed in the same NCAA Tournament region a matchup that never materialized.

Its reasonable to say we could certainly have those discussions somewhere down the line, he said.

But Alden pointed to what he considers a variety of obstacles to that in the immediate future, specifically citing a national scheduling philosophy that he said emphasizes getting at least four games against teams that Mizzou would consider in the big five conferences and the fact that MU already has an annual game in St. Louis but none in Kansas City.

Our focus has to got to be instead of having two games in St. Louis, how can we have one game in St. Louis and one in Kansas City? he said. And we know were always going to play Illinois in St. Louis. So all of that stuff enters into the equation.

So I think its more complicated than when people say, Well, they just dont want to play SLU. That isnt what it is.

Would we talk to (SLU athletics director) Chris May? Absolutely, wed want to talk about it. But we have a lot of other issues that were having to deal with besides just scheduling that one basketball game.

This game isn't happening any time soon. I like that the media makes Alden answer the questions as most normal people understand what is going on here (I.e. mizzou is chicken) but its clear at this point the game simply isn't going to occur. Oh well, back to making ourselves as good as we can be...

This game isn't happening any time soon. I like that the media makes Alden answer the questions as most normal people understand what is going on here (I.e. mizzou is chicken) but its clear at this point the game simply isn't going to occur. Oh well, back to making ourselves as good as we can be...

At this point, you're right.

Why would SLU want to hurt their numbers playing a garbage program that's no better than middle of a bad SEC?

At this point, you're right.

Why would SLU want to hurt their numbers playing a garbage program that's no better than middle of a bad SEC?

+1

At this point, does anyone really care? If MU wanted this game they'd find a place to play it. I don't see why a home and home is a big hangup. Plus Alden took a shot at us basically saying SLU's not major enough to play them in their 4 big games. The whole thing's total BS.

I would rather play Nebraska, KState, Gonzaga,

Illinois, Indiana, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, even though it would be nice to see the best transfers money can buy

If I was CM or JC and they said Alden's on the phone, I'd tell my secretary to tell him I'm unavailable and never call the dick head back.

-there's a professional way to handle it :blink:

-there is no chance Alden tells is fellow SEC AD's 'hey SLU doesn't return calls so don;t take their call when they want to schedule you'? or Alden moves to a school we want to schedule and remembers this?

I'd love to beat up on SPUMAC year after year. The local media should have been harping on this 20 years ago instead of now.

It is all about how you look. When the media asks these types of questions they just serve Mizzou's interests. Alden gets to take jabs at SLU and still not play us. The casual fan, recruits, parents, look at this and see that Mizzou is too good to play SLU. It works in their favor. I really wish STL media would just drop it.

I do agree with some of his points. They already have a game here. They'd rather play a game in KC than another on in STL. It makes sense.

Interesting on his comment about playing four games against big conference schools. Looking at their schedule this year, they played one home game and one away game against power conference schools plus two games in their exempt tourney. That's the (lack of) extent of their big-time scheduling

Four big conference games? Sorry -- two on a neutral floor don't count in my book.

Then you have SIU-E (#310 in KenPom), Alcorn State (#326), Nicholls State (#291), Appalachin State (# 255), SE Missouri State (# 219), Tennessee State (#172), South Cariolina State (#340), and finally Bucknell (#66). ALL AT HOME NO LESS!

Why should we schedule Mizzou and let them bring our numbers down to their level?

I may be in the minoirty but at this point, playing mizzou excites me as much as playing any other missouri team..

Likewise. Would rather play Kansas or Illinois or set up a series with ND in Chicago every year.

I would not worry about Alden's classes comment about us - nobody pays attention to when adults start demeaning other adults they only come off looking petty. He wants to keep playing IL which he claims is a priority so there is no way this game every happens until they dump IL - now I guess IL could dump them like they did in football. He clearly is holding out for a KU game in KC - having been to a KU game at KC I would be very careful about that - KC is a home game for KU.

Alden was less specific about the notion of reviving a dormant basketball rivalry with SLU, a topic that surfaced anew when the Tigers and Billikens were bracketed in the same NCAA Tournament region a matchup that never materialized.

Its reasonable to say we could certainly have those discussions somewhere down the line, he said.

But Alden pointed to what he considers a variety of obstacles to that in the immediate future, specifically citing a national scheduling philosophy that he said emphasizes getting at least four games against teams that Mizzou would consider in the big five conferences and the fact that MU already has an annual game in St. Louis but none in Kansas City.

Our focus has to got to be instead of having two games in St. Louis, how can we have one game in St. Louis and one in Kansas City? he said. And we know were always going to play Illinois in St. Louis. So all of that stuff enters into the equation.

So I think its more complicated than when people say, Well, they just dont want to play SLU. That isnt what it is.

Would we talk to (SLU athletics director) Chris May? Absolutely, wed want to talk about it. But we have a lot of other issues that were having to deal with besides just scheduling that one basketball game.

Just reading Alden's comments, I could see some one saying, "All right, I see where he's coming from. Fair enough." But when I actually look at Mizzou's schedule every year, he's clearly full of . They play a neutral court tournament, a neutral court game vs. Illinois, and a bunch of home games against cupcakes. They have plenty of room for a home-and-home against SLU. If the KC market is such a big concern, then stay in the Big 12. If you'd rather have the SEC money, then you're going to have to figure out another way to get to KC. Any number of dumb games on their nonconference schedule can be replaced with a good one vs. SLU. Give me a break.

Is this referring to the fact they cant get past the first round?