Next Year: Rotation and Recruiting

ACE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

251st in the country in rebounding. We need a beast on the boards. Defense and Rebound. We have the 1st. Don't have the 2nd.

You can't just look at the total number of rebounds this team had. You have to look at in relation to the tempo we play at and with the number of turnovers per game. When you look at the numbers below the surface we were actually a pretty good defensive rebounding team. That said we need to improve our offensive rebounding.

So to summarize, since Jeff Withey (who was a top 50 prospect coming out of high school) and Kelly Olynyk really came out late in their college careers that we should expect Manning to do the same?.

Come on guys. Can we deal in reality please? It would be unbelievable if Manning turned out to be like those guys but that is what we are banking on here?

We desperately need an athletic presence inside and that cannot be found on the current roster

No one is saying that JM and GG are going to be All-Americans. The point is that the logic "Big Man X has not contributed in his first 2 years and therefore can not be expected to perform well as an upperclassman" is flawed. The jury isn't out just yet.

Edit: See dlarry for the same points

So to summarize, since Jeff Withey (who was a top 50 prospect coming out of high school) and Kelly Olynyk really came out late in their college careers that we should expect Manning to do the same?.

Come on guys. Can we deal in reality please? It would be unbelievable if Manning turned out to be like those guys but that is what we are banking on here?

We desperately need an athletic presence inside and that cannot be found on the current roster

I'm re-upping my season tickets for next year, but if Manning doesn't average 10 and 7 I'm getting rid of them and never coming back(sarcasm intended). Our beloved dead coach, who knew more about ball than you will ever hope to know (even if you went to all the games and coach basketball) was quoted as saying Manning was the only player on the team with NBA potential. I'm not Billikan, but your constant whining and sky is falling attitude is pretty freaking irritating. All we can really do is wait for Crews to be announced as head coach and then see what the spring recruiting period brings. We know that there are a bunch of targets that our coaching staff is working on; we also know that we have a tournament caliber team coming back next year. Try to enjoy it without your head exploding.

Can we stop talking all this crap about next year and focus on the new Big East or Catholic 7 or whatever. That is the most important thing right now. Not the HC or Manning's "potential" or recruits...........Get in the new league and all these things will take care of themselves (except for the Manning thing). If not, we'll shortly be looking for the next miracle worker (Majerus) to rescue the the program from oblivion.

Can we stop talking all this crap about next year and focus on the new Big East or Catholic 7 or whatever. That is the most important thing right now. Not the HC or Manning's "potential" or recruits...........Get in the new league and all these things will take care of themselves (except for the Manning thing). If not, we'll shortly be looking for the next miracle worker (Majerus) to rescue the the program from oblivion.

And our "talk" means what? Are the presidents of DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova (I'm sure Butler, Creighton, and Xavier don't have votes yet) sitting in their "conclave" scouring fan message boards to tally up who has the most positive support to "earn" the next two invitations for their schools? Furthermore, is the SLU administration reading this board to determine if the focus of us fans is adequate for them to push for and accept an invitation?

Wow!!

This thread has got it all!! Going to be a great offseason!! :(

1. RM's quote about JM being the one most likely to reach the NBA...

2. DE has now grown to 6'7" b/c he has had success against taller guys...

3. C7 and new Big East talk... BTW, when is Chris May's last day on the job??

4. Our only freshman recruit will likely redshirt, not b/c anyone has seen him play, but b/c that is what Freshmen do...

5. Nostalgic comments about CR actually being productive (not merely having the physical ability) in games due to his rebounding/athleticism have now been made

6. Serious comparisons between Withey and Manning.

7. Serious comments that our team is/will be a strong rebounding team.

Good stuff!! :lol:

At least we won't have to argue if DE is more a 3 vs. a 4 this summer!!

Agreed with everything but one thing. The New Big East will make Manning an NBA first round pick.

Oh... and I forgot,

8. every good thread needs a Josh Harrelson reference!!

mods, can we stokke... i mean sticky... this thread as a FAP... er... FAQ at the top of the forum, so that i know where i can go to get the answers to those hard-driving questions we all have? thanks a bunch.

alison-stokke_06.jpg

JM has better skill set than most of the bigs

We have recruited if he starts the OOC and gets

15-18 minutes a game he will get over the

rushing to prove himself in the minutes he gets

and JC will try and prove out every eligible player

Just like he did this year so we end up with

Eight or nine guys the guards will actually pass

To

I can't wait to see McBroom and Drew i think

Drew can outjump every one on the team and

If he develops stamina and spunk he will be a

pleasure to watch for 4 years

Let us hope the Romar years of recruits who

Who are ineligible never returns to SLU

How much better example of student athlete

is there than DE. Reminds you of Lisch and

Leuchtefelds, Pedersen- all workhorses

Never again should we have to recruit those

Short fat or skinny guys who can't make grades

Or make the leap from high school to D1

Three peat to the NCAA tournament no

Billiken era has been so bright. Thirty years

ago if we had a coach with success we were

a stepping stone. Even Spoon getting c o y

Tried to jump for a better offer rather than

recruiting hard on his success. JC has a chance

To stay and prove he can continue the legacy

With his own kids. Blue koolaid for everyone we

Won 28 games

We need a 6 foot nine wide body banger who as a freshman

Can play as well as Anthony Bonner and I don't care if his jump

Shot is limited to 10 feet as long as he get 12 boards a game

And can get c+ in the classroom

JM may have a skill set but I have not seen it. He may be NBA material but to me looks slow, weak and confused. After his freshman year posters said he would develop into a valuable player but I went to every game and can't buy it yet. He showed little improvement. He may yet develop but I saw little in the 30th game that was different than the OOC games in December. Hope I'm wrong but don't see the NBA.

I doubt Crawford will redshift. He will add energy even more then GG I think. He is quick and a good driver.

What position do you see him playing? If its the 3 you might want to consider he will be 4th on the depth chart next year before deciding he should burn a year of eligibility.

I'm re-upping my season tickets for next year, but if Manning doesn't average 10 and 7 I'm getting rid of them and never coming back(sarcasm intended). Our beloved dead coach, who knew more about ball than you will ever hope to know (even if you went to all the games and coach basketball) was quoted as saying Manning was the only player on the team with NBA potential. I'm not Billikan, but your constant whining and sky is falling attitude is pretty freaking irritating. All we can really do is wait for Crews to be announced as head coach and then see what the spring recruiting period brings. We know that there are a bunch of targets that our coaching staff is working on; we also know that we have a tournament caliber team coming back next year. Try to enjoy it without your head exploding.

Considering the ire my comments have drawn out of you maybe you should worry about your own head exploding. Can't someone have a difference of opinion without being considered a whiner being accused of knowing nothing about the game?

Are you John Mannings uncle?

If you actually pay attention to the content of these supposedly laughable Withey comparisons then they make a whole lot of sense. No need to go building straw men.

You're absolutely correct!! Let me just add to the serious Withey and Manning comparisons:

Anthony Bonner, a big man, got cut from his high school team and made it to the NBA.

Michael Jordan also got cut from his high school team and became the best ever to play in the NBA.

John Manning never got cut from his high school, got high praise from RM, and therefore will be even better than Bonner and Jordan when he dominates the NBA.

Got it!! BTW, when does next season begin??

JM may have a skill set but I have not seen it. He may be NBA material but to me looks slow, weak and confused. After his freshman year posters said he would develop into a valuable player but I went to every game and can't buy it yet. He showed little improvement. He may yet develop but I saw little in the 30th game that was different than the OOC games in December. Hope I'm wrong but don't see the NBA.

CR had the size and athleticism but never put it all together. Yes, he improved but not enough. Had CR redshirted, I still don't think he'd be the player we would want him to be next year. Have all Billiken big men developed like we wanted them to? NO. We said the same about a number of other former Billiken players such as Justin Johnson, Bryce Husak.... Personally, I think JM will be good next year but it is not a given.

You're absolutely correct!! Let me just add to the serious Withey and Manning comparisons:

Anthony Bonner, a big man, got cut from his high school team and made it to the NBA.

Michael Jordan also got cut from his high school team and became the best ever to play in the NBA.

John Manning never got cut from his high school, got high praise from RM, and therefore will be even better than Bonner and Jordan when he dominates the NBA.

Got it!! BTW, when does next season begin??

Not sure why you're so hung up on Withey. People have several examples of big men who struggled their first two years and then excelled.