Jim Crews- I'm ALL-IN

We're hiring him. SLU has said they want him back and he's said he wants to come back, so it's done minus the details.

I hope we all support him and avoid the "he's not good at this or that" talk unless we actually have a reason. I am promising not to criticize for what might happen as the truth is we don't know for sure whether he'll recruit well here or not. By most accounts he got Crawford who we all seem pretty pleased with while still wearing an intern label. We all know his past record, however, he's never had a situation like he has now to recruit to.

The decision has been made, and I'm all in with Jim Crews

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

darn, I was hoping we would get that Robert Morris coach, he just hit puberty and can recruit his arse off!

I like Crews and ready to support him as our head coach for a long time. Plus, he's a good dresser.

We're hiring him. SLU has said they want him back and he's said he wants to come back, so it's done minus the details.

I hope we all support him and avoid the "he's not good at this or that" talk unless we actually have a reason. I am promising not to criticize for what might happen as the truth is we don't know for sure whether he'll recruit well here or not. By most accounts he got Crawford who we all seem pretty pleased with while still wearing an intern label. We all know his past record, however, he's never had a situation like he has now to recruit to.

The decision has been made, and I'm all in with Jim Crews

Welcome aboard full time Jim! It's time to take what Rick built and keep things moving onward and upward.

He has earned the opportunity. There is no doubt about that.

However, I think it is very fair to be concerned about the future given that this program is at a very critical juncture and we need a competent leader to continue what Coach Majerus started.

Weber took Self's players to the final four and then did next to nothing once they left. Recruiting is at least half the battle, if not more. The jury is still out on whether or not Crews can do that at this level.

I don't get how people are so upset by the idea of Crews coming back...he just won the regular season outright and conference tournament of the best leagues we have played in in a long time. Criticize him for recruiting? He hasn't had a chance to show us if he is an awful recruiter or a great recruiter here.

Here is what we do know:

- We just had a friggin unbelievable season and a lot of credit is due to Crews for it

That's it. Let's keep it going and we will find out soon enough if he will be great, average or terrible. I'm pumped for next season.

I have concerns, but I would have concerns with anyone. I've read about Crews' past, but don't really have much knowledge about it. What I did notice about this year:

1. He appears to be a solid to very solid gameday coach. The plan against NMSU was great. And contrary to what others say, I don't believe coaching was the reason we lost against Oregon.

2. He appears to have lightened up personality-wise. I've read/heard about his hard*ass ways in the past, but he appeared quite laid back with the players this year. I think today's players/recruits will relate to it much more.

3. I liked our offense more under Crews than I did RM. We attacked more. I would think players/recruits would enjoy that style of ball.

4. Related to #3, the team/Crews thrived generally under RM's system (with the addition of attacking a little more). I would think we'd keep it intact and Crews would adopt many of RM's ideas.

5. The chemistry between the coaching staff seems great. Bronson/Whitsell/Crews seemed to work very well together.

6. Recruiting...the big question mark. At least we have one decent looking player and appear to be in on some spring guys. Who knows how this will go, but the buzz created by this season might give Crews a good springboard to recruit effectively over the next couple of years.

I don't get how people are so upset by the idea of Crews coming back...he just won the regular season outright and conference tournament of the best leagues we have played in in a long time. Criticize him for recruiting? He hasn't had a chance to show us if he is an awful recruiter or a great recruiter here.

Here is what we do know:

- We just had a friggin unbelievable season and a lot of credit is due to Crews for it

That's it. Let's keep it going and we will find out soon enough if he will be great, average or terrible. I'm pumped for next season.

He didn't win anything, the players who were recruited and taught by Coach Majerus won.

How do we know a lot of credit is due to Crews for the season. If that is true, does credit of under-performing in the NCAA tournament belong to him too?

We are at a crossroads as a program and I wish we weren't taking a risk on an unproven commodity.

4 tournaments in 17 years is not what we should be aiming for.

Hard to be optimistic but if he's the coach so be it. I'll be picking up season tix, after a break, for next year regardless. Age and experience has hopefully taught Crews what this job requires. I hope he's up to it.

I will pick up my seats for next season as well, but if we are still in the A-10 and the roster looks as bleak as I think it will for 2014, I am done. I have stuck with this program through some unbelievably lean years, but if it comes to pass that we let this thing fall apart right while we are on the cusp of really moving this thing forward, then I will spend my money elsewhere

He didn't win anything, the players who were recruited and taught by Coach Majerus won.

How do we know a lot of credit is due to Crews for the season. If that is true, does credit of under-performing in the NCAA tournament belong to him too?

We are at a crossroads as a program and I wish we weren't taking a risk on an unproven commodity.

It was bad enough when you made SLU fans look like morons on the C7 boards, now you're doing it here. SLU had a horrendous night shooting and Oregon couldn't miss. Were there some tweaks that could have been made? Sure. Would it have made much difference? I doubt it.

It's hard to take emotions out of decisions like this, but if you can do that it's hard to argue against this hire. I have said all year and even up to this news that we can do better than JC. I thought he was a safe hire, but probably not the best to take the program to the next level. If you really analyze the situation, you weigh all the pros and cons and measure both the risks of hiring him and the risks of not hiring him I think you will draw some conclusions.

It comes down to Jim Crews OR a "?". If we go after another Coach, we have no idea who would even entertain this job. We all seem to think (myself included) that we can make another big splash hire. This would appear to be a very attractive job. The inner circle of Coaches talk and what if the knock on this program would be the potential lack of support from Biondi? No charter flights? A cap on Coaches salaries? Those kinds of things scare me - the unknowns. Sure there are some up and coming Coaches who have shown great promise. But, not all Coaches can succeed everywhere they go. If we are going after an up and coming Coach, we are betting on an unknown. How about a big time Coach. Who? Smith or Howland? We all know the potential drawbacks of those hires. Could we even afford a big name Coach? RM was not paid very much by today's measures. It was by SLU's measures, but that's it. We are not in the NBE yet and a chance we may not be. So, what makes us think we would draw a big time Coach at all?

Crews did a marvelous job this year. Yes, it wasn't his recruits. But, the adversity of the season would have been enough to derail many Coaches to a mediocre year. Crews was not a head Coach for about 4-5 years before landing this interim gig. He got better and better as the year went. He did some things RM did not. I will not judge JC on the Oregon game. It was just a stinker and if he is lacking in Coaching that would have reared its head more times this year and didn't.

We have a good team going into next year and JC has shown he can Coach this group of kids. Now, it comes down to recruiting. Can he recruit? That is the unknown. But, he did sign Crawford as an interim. I would think that would be very hard to do. It appears we are in on a few other kids. So, we shall see. However, if we sign a known recruiter, the unknown for them would be can they recruit to SLU. The other unknown would be, can they win at SLU. How about if they will be a good ambassador for the program. Are they media friendly?

Yes, good arguments can me made to go for another Coach. But, there are way more unknowns going after another Coach then there are hiring Crews. I am not 100% convinced he will be the man, but I do think when you weigh all things it would hard to not hire him over the unknown.

He got the job. I will support him, but I also say put high expectations on him and if we need to pull the plug after a couple years then so be it.

Hard to be optimistic but if he's the coach so be it. I'll be picking up season tix, after a break, for next year regardless. Age and experience has hopefully taught Crews what this job requires. I hope he's up to it.

There are about 1000-2000 of us who will always pick up season tix. I wish him the best of luck, but I share your lack of optimism and excitement for the Jim Crews era.

I have concerns, but I would have concerns with anyone. I've read about Crews' past, but don't really have much knowledge about it. What I did notice about this year:

1. He appears to be a solid to very solid gameday coach. The plan against NMSU was great. And contrary to what others say, I don't believe coaching was the reason we lost against Oregon.

2. He appears to have lightened up personality-wise. I've read/heard about his hard*ass ways in the past, but he appeared quite laid back with the players this year. I think today's players/recruits will relate to it much more.

3. I liked our offense more under Crews than I did RM. We attacked more. I would think players/recruits would enjoy that style of ball.

4. Related to #3, the team/Crews thrived generally under RM's system (with the addition of attacking a little more). I would think we'd keep it intact and Crews would adopt many of RM's ideas.

5. The chemistry between the coaching staff seems great. Bronson/Whitsell/Crews seemed to work very well together.

6. Recruiting...the big question mark. At least we have one decent looking player and appear to be in on some spring guys. Who knows how this will go, but the buzz created by this season might give Crews a good springboard to recruit effectively over the next couple of years.

nailed it on all counts.

i like jim crews as a person, and as a coach, and i think the players do, too. but CAN HE RECRUIT? chris may and especially biondi are fuoking invalids as far as i'm concerned. we need chaifetz and crews landing on motherfuokers' lawns in a SLU helicopter, with fuoking boston market and NBA 2K14 on dat ETSBOTS. no more bullsh!t. you wanna compete, you gotta sell yourself. ask biondi how he likes that NCAA money that's coming in. and then tell him to suok his own dick and get the hell out of the way for the guys that give a sh!t. you don't have to give a sh!t to be the boss, but you gotta stay the fuok out of the way of the headhunting motherfuokers on your team that are trying to get their dicks wet. i seriously doubt crews is, but chaifetz sure as sh!t is. if we recruit hard, we will win big, period. if not, then more of the gotdamn same. all i know is, we have most of a great team coming back after back-to-back semi-successful trips to the big dance, with top notch facilities. if crews is truly ALL IN, then that includes recruiting, and we need to see results.

good luck, jim. glad to have you on board. you earned it. now WORK MOTHERFUOKER.

AMDG, who do you specifically think we should hire?

Here is what we do know:

Fair or not, Crews is not a sexy hire. Early in the season it seemed to take him a while to get his bearings and during that time I questioned whether he wanted the job at all. Couple that with little recent success recruiting or otherwise and we'd be nuts not to have a few reservations.

Afew mid to high level recruits signed and a lot of those reservations go away.

AMDG, who do you specifically think we should hire?

We should go after another big name. I would really be excited about Tubby Smith. He has an amazing track record of getting into the tournament. I think someone posted something along the lines of 17/20 years he has been in the tournament.

Again, I once this is final, I am willing to give Crews my support. But there are a lot of people on this message board who get really upset if someone has an opinion different than their own. If you want to go around ignoring those people, fine. My feelings aren't hurt.

So the coach has nothing to do with arguably our best regular season ever but is to blame for us losing early in the tournament? That sounds like reasonable logic.

It's hard to argue against him being given the job. Like others, I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable if he shook up the staff a little. I guess Whitesell's a good film guy, but JC should be good at that as well. Based on nothing, however, I don't see JW selling himself to today's kids.

What's your citation skip? Did you make this up? Hear it on the radio? Link?

No link. I don't even remember the station but it was said that May has stated Crews is the guy and I heard Crews say they were working on the details. If he didn't want the job, there would be no details.

Probably not the hire I'd have made. However, I wasn't there working with him all year. I guarantee Doc C supports the hire or it wouldn't be made.

I have the same concerns as everyone due to the same track record.

I'm going to choose though not to fret over what might be and wait to see what actually is.