Jim Crews- I'm ALL-IN

We should go after another big name. I would really be excited about Tubby Smith. He has an amazing track record of getting into the tournament. I think someone posted something along the lines of 17/20 years he has been in the tournament.

Again, I once this is final, I am willing to give Crews my support. But there are a lot of people on this message board who get really upset if someone has an opinion different than their own. If you want to go around ignoring those people, fine. My feelings aren't hurt.

Different opinions are fine. Saying idiotic things over and over again is annoying.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should go after another big name. I would really be excited about Tubby Smith. He has an amazing track record of getting into the tournament. I think someone posted something along the lines of 17/20 years he has been in the tournament.

Again, I once this is final, I am willing to give Crews my support. But there are a lot of people on this message board who get really upset if someone has an opinion different than their own. If you want to go around ignoring those people, fine. My feelings aren't hurt.

Crews would be a better hire than Tubby. Tubby has proven as recently as the last few months that the talent he recruits on his roster consistently underperforms. Tubby is a big name but would not be a good hire and probably 3X the salary of Crews...

So the coach has nothing to do with arguably our best regular season ever but is to blame for us losing early in the tournament? That sounds like reasonable logic.

I forgot a question mark after the first question, but it was a question none the less.

And you think SLU would pay him $1.5 million or more because that is what he will want. Will he come here knowing he won't have the support other basketball programs will give him. We have a less basketball budget than a lot of mid-majors and whole lot less than some of the bigger names schools. You think he would magically come here taking a step down in salary, we're still in the A10, no charter flights, no high AC salary, etc?

I am all for going after a big name Coach, but we have to be realistic.

Tubby Smith was about to get run out of Kentucky because he didn't recruit top players there. The same thing happened at Minnesota. How does that pattern mean success for him at SLU? I think we be nothing more than another paycheck for him.

As far as the ignore function goes, I don't mind good dialogue between posters. But, the incessant bitching and repetition of the same freaking things over and over gets tiring.

Tubby Smith was about to get run out of Kentucky because he didn't recruit top players there. The same thing happened at Minnesota. How does that pattern mean success for him at SLU? I think we be nothing more than another paycheck for him.

As far as the ignore function goes, I don't mind good dialogue between posters. But, the incessant bitching and repetition of the same freaking things over and over gets tiring.

For some posters, there just isn't much logic that goes into their thought process. Let's just throw out a well known name because they are available. Yeah, it's just that easy.

If true, this is great news. (if true: still no source)... Frankly, these interminable threads whining about the coaching situation and suggesting names, including countless plugs for the likes of Ben Howland, have been a disgrace. I realize much of it is emotions. But I want to be one of the first to say THANKS to coach Crews for the season, and for staying on.

I'll make one point: the main sticking point is always recruiting, recruiting,recruiting, I guess. I'm not nearly as worried as so many on here. Or, maybe I should say; I'm exactly as worried as I've been for 15 years. Everyone wants good recruits! But I'm pretty sure we can recruit some guys, given everything; I can't wait to hear who we sign this spring and fall!

Plus: all this worry makes it sound like Majerus was bringing in lottery picks; but look at our record the past few years:
One thing nobody seems to remember is this: yes, the players turned out pretty good; but recruiting was also very, very hard work for Majerus and staff; and the oaching and the lifting/ hard work in the gym turned 2 star guys into champions of the A10. I'll say this: the leader today were not exactly getting offers from Indiana and Kansas; in fact, go back and just look at the offers for guys live Evans and Jett. It might surprise you.

We have been looking for a certain personality, who does well in the classroom and is willing to stay 4-5 years, work very hard to learn defense, and play as a group. There's still good guys out there like that we can get, with Crews; and turn them into defensive tough guys. Crawford, from everything I'm hearing from my sources, is EXACTLY that kind of guy--though like Evans and Jett, he may not star as a freshman.

I'll support Crews full on. Wasn't necessarily the sexy hire, but I think it's a good hire with a lot of potential.

Give the players whatever kind of credit you want, but I think it takes a special coach to lead this team to the regular and tournament championship in a season like this.

When I heard him speak over the past month or so, I thought he seemed like a down to earth guy that people can like. I think the players like him.

The question mark is recruiting. Word is that we have made some real good progress lately. Maybe it's not too big an issue.

Best of luck, Jim. Can't wait until next year!

I believe Crews discussed it on the Morning After show on 590 this morning.

Cusamano briefly interviewed Crews on the 5 news last night and from what was, and wasn't said, it sounded like it's a done deal. Just have to work out the details.

If true, this is great news. (if true: still no source)... Frankly, these interminable threads whining about the coaching situation and suggesting names, including countless plugs for the likes of Ben Howland, have been a disgrace. I realize much of it is emotions. But I want to be one of the first to say THANKS to coach Crews for the season, and for staying on.

I'll make one point: the main sticking point is always recruiting, recruiting,recruiting, I guess. I'm not nearly as worried as so many on here. Or, maybe I should say; I'm exactly as worried as I've been for 15 years. Everyone wants good recruits! But I'm pretty sure we can recruit some guys, given everything; I can't wait to hear who we sign this spring and fall!

Plus: all this worry makes it sound like Majerus was bringing in lottery picks; but look at our record the past few years:

One thing nobody seems to remember is this: yes, the players turned out pretty good; but recruiting was also very, very hard work for Majerus and staff; and the oaching and the lifting/ hard work in the gym turned 2 star guys into champions of the A10. I'll say this: the leader today were not exactly getting offers from Indiana and Kansas; in fact, go back and just look at the offers for guys live Evans and Jett. It might surprise you.

We have been looking for a certain personality, who does well in the classroom and is willing to stay 4-5 years, work very hard to learn defense, and play as a group. There's still good guys out there like that we can get, with Crews; and turn them into defensive tough guys. Crawford, from everything I'm hearing from my sources, is EXACTLY that kind of guy--though like Evans and Jett, he may not star as a freshman.

+1

I thought just getting into the tourney wasn't good enough. In the last 8 years Tubby couldn't get past the rd of 32 in the tourney and 2 of those years were at Kentucky. Yet you are somehow very dissapointed and unwilling to accept the mediocrity of SLU getting to the rd of 32

One minute SLU is dissapointing because they only reached the rd of 32

The next minute you want to hire a coach who has coached more prolific programs to no better than a rd of 32 exit over the last 8 years.

And the best ... we stunk against Oregon because we didn't atttack the zone with dribble drives to the basket.

I'll give you this, your posts bring humor to my day. But, I don't think you actually have a clue about the game, you just like to complain loudly. Maybe you need a hug

Breaking News...Tubby Smith or Ben Howland aint coming here. Start your whining.

Ohhh, they're not????? Ummm, then we REALLY need to go after Izzo or Coach K. Oh they make a lot of money and are in big contracts? So what, we should still make a play at them. Remember we have Dr. Chaifetz on our side.

I thought just getting into the tourney wasn't good enough. In the last 8 years Tubby couldn't get past the rd of 32 in the tourney and 2 of those years were at Kentucky. Yet you are somehow very dissapointed and unwilling to accept the mediocrity of SLU getting to the rd of 32

The next minute you want to hire a coach who has coached more prolific programs to no better than a rd of 32 exit over the last 8 years.

And the best ... we stunk against Oregon because we didn't atttack the zone with dribble drives to the basket.

I'll give you this, your posts bring humor to my day. But, I don't think you actually have a clue about the game, you just like to complain loudly. Maybe you need a hug

Furious at Crews for losing in the round of 32, but would be really excited about Tubby Smith. lol

I will be curious to see if Whitesell stays on along with Platt. Whitesell was looking earlier this year, and Platt was somewhat of a last minute addition.

Anyone have any news on that?

While it wouldn't surprise me at all if he left, I wonder if JW was looking just because of the uncertainty surrounding the program in the early fall. Viewing from afar, it looked like he enjoyed being on the sideline with the players as the year progressed. Looks can certainly be deceiving though.

I felt we needed to make it to the sweet 16 this season because it was our best chance ever.

You are correct that Tubby doesn't have a great track record getting past the round of 32, however, when it comes to getting in, he's pretty much guaranteed. 17/20 > 4/17.

And I'll never turn down a hug, thanks.

So the coach has nothing to do with arguably our best regular season ever but is to blame for us losing early in the tournament? That sounds like reasonable logic.

+1