Recruiting - 2013

All of the answers to these questions are in this thread. Or on Google. Tried to make it easy for you.

Yes, he is Darryl Strawberry's son. Yes, he was the starting PG on Mater Dei's state championship team for the past three seasons.

Yeah, but who's his father....?

Seriously, Pistol, since you seem to be the most up-to-date on recruiting, I have a few questions:

1. How long is the spring signing period?

2. Crawford was a fall signee, correct? So he is not part of the two that Crews mentioned, right?

3. Since Djambo said he won't announce until 4/30, that means he is not in the two that Crews expected this week, but nothing has been said by Crews that would suggest there couldn't be more signees after this week, correct?

4. I have not seen much more on Saintil (did he verbal to someone else?) so I am assuming that other than Agbeko (did he sign at midnight as suggested?) Onwuasor or Strawberry are the likely signee's this week - true?

5. It seems like the University typically makes a big deal about certain signings so will we find out definitively from SLU or does the news get released by the high school/prep school the signees are coming from?

Appreciate all of the info you have been providing on this!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize that Jordan Strawberry was Darryl's younger son. Darryl lives somewhere in the area out near DirtyRican, which probably explains why his kid wants to go to SLU.

Thanks for the reminder! The Straw man actually lives in Ohmes Farms right across from St. Charles Community College. He is seen frequently leading bible study in his garage and bbqing pork steaks with former Billiken Baseball Great Sweet Jimmy B who lives down the street.

For the record, I am a good 15-20 away from him.

Seriously, Pistol, since you seem to be the most up-to-date on recruiting, I have a few questions:

1. How long is the spring signing period?

2. Crawford was a fall signee, correct? So he is not part of the two that Crews mentioned, right?

3. Since Djambo said he won't announce until 4/30, that means he is not in the two that Crews expected this week, but nothing has been said by Crews that would suggest there couldn't be more signees after this week, correct?

4. I have not seen much more on Saintil (did he verbal to someone else?) so I am assuming that other than Agbeko (did he sign at midnight as suggested?) Onwuasor or Strawberry are the likely signee's this week - true?

5. It seems like the University typically makes a big deal about certain signings so will we find out definitively from SLU or does the news get released by the high school/prep school the signees are coming from?

Crawford signed in the fall. Hoping Jolly isn't one of the kids Crews expects to sign. I think I read Randy Onwuasor still has to visit Tulane so it may be a while before he decides.

Crawford signed in the fall. Hoping Jolly isn't one of the kids Crews expects to sign

For he's a Jolly good fellow...

Thanks for the reminder! The Straw man actually lives in Ohmes Farms right across from St. Charles Community College. He is seen frequently leading bible study in his garage and bbqing pork steaks with former Billiken Baseball Great Sweet Jimmy B who lives down the street.

15-20 miles west of Straw, right?

Crawford signed in the fall. Hoping Jolly isn't one of the kids Crews expects to sign. I think I read Randy Onwuasor still has to visit Tulane so it may be a while before he decides.

I am concerned this is exactly what will happen. We do not need another project at center. We need talent.

If this staff can pull off an Agbeko, Crawford, Djambo, Onwuasor class given the uncertainty surrounding the coaching situation until very recently, we would all have to tip our cap and say job well done.

I am concerned this is exactly what will happen. We do not need another project at center. We need talent.

If this staff can pull off an Agbeko, Crawford, Djambo, Onwuasor class given the uncertainty surrounding the coaching situation until very recently, we would all have to tip our cap and say job well done.

That would be an incredible class - almost too good to be true.

1. How long is the spring signing period? A month. It starts today (4/17) and ends on May 16th.

2. Crawford was a fall signee, correct? So he is not part of the two that Crews mentioned, right? Correct. Crews would have been referring to Agbeko plus one more, which gives us one remaining scholarship after the two he hinted at. I don't know who the other one this week will be.

3. Since Djambo said he won't announce until 4/30, that means he is not in the two that Crews expected this week, but nothing has been said by Crews that would suggest there couldn't be more signees after this week, correct? Correct. We would still have that one available scholarship. While I'm as impatient as anyone else, I'd be thrilled if he chose us in two weeks with so many big-time schools after him. However, someone else might beat him to the punch. I don't know where everyone stands.

4. I have not seen much more on Saintil (did he verbal to someone else?) so I am assuming that other than Agbeko (did he sign at midnight as suggested?) Onwuasor or Strawberry are the likely signee's this week - true? Saintil most recently has said that SLU is his favorite right now, but that he is strongly considering prep school. I haven't heard yet if Agbeko signed. I still think it will be Onwuasor, but Strawberry is a strong possibility. I think Knight will go to Murray State or somewhere else, and I think Yacoubou will not sign for at least another week or two.

5. It seems like the University typically makes a big deal about certain signings so will we find out definitively from SLU or does the news get released by the high school/prep school the signees are coming from? Good question. This one is in SLU's hands. They can't say anything until the kids sign, so they'd be stupid to release anything quite yet. Maybe they want both of the first two to sign this week before doing a single release, which I can understand. If they wait the whole period for all three spots to be officially filled, I'll be annoyed and they will have missed an opportunity to hit the press with good news twice - so that is likely what will happen.

Answers in bold above.

No news yet this morning on Agbeko.

Strawberry tweeted yesterday that he is still deciding and will sign next week or the following. He is accompanying his teammate Elijah Brown to his signing tomorrow, which will be with Butler.

The latest from Onwuasor has already been stated here. I think he still has to visit Tulane. His last tweet is a retweet of someone saying "So much to do in so little time," and the ones before that are retweets of Ben about his SLU visit.

Knight's Twitter feed is active. He replied to a question about his timing with, "Taking my time, working everyday tho." He says he'll be "in Illinois" this week. Lots of Murray State fans seem to be engaging him directly on Twitter.

Decision day remains 4/30 for Djambo.

Nothing from Saintil yet.

The odd thing is, given who we currently have offers out to, what they're saying, and what Crews said, the only guy who hasn't verbally ruled out committing this week is Saintil. Granted, I'm not putting 100% stock into interviews and Twitter and know that things can change and that "taking my time" and "don't know yet" doesn't prevent anyone from signing this week, but it sure seems like Strawberry, Onwuasor, Knight, and Djambo aren't ready yet. I wonder if it could be Yacoubou (who hasn't said anything since the transfer announcement, but who would need to visit SLU and Pitt first) or Jolly - the two we haven't seen confirmation of offering.

Strawberry tweeted yesterday that he is still deciding and will sign next week or the following. He is accompanying his teammate Elijah Brown to his signing tomorrow, which will be with Butler.

The latest from Onwuasor has already been stated here. I think he still has to visit Tulane. His last tweet is a retweet of someone saying "So much to do in so little time," and the ones before that are retweets of Ben about his SLU visit.

Knight's Twitter feed is active. He replied to a question about his timing with, "Taking my time, working everyday tho." He says he'll be "in Illinois" this week. Lots of Murray State fans seem to be engaging him directly on Twitter.

The odd thing is, given who we currently have offers out to, what they're saying, and what Crews said, the only guy who hasn't verbally ruled out committing this week is Saintil. Granted, I'm not putting 100% stock into interviews and Twitter and know that things can change and that "taking my time" and "don't know yet" doesn't prevent anyone from signing this week, but it sure seems like Strawberry, Onwuasor, Knight, and Djambo aren't ready yet. I wonder if it could be Yacoubou (who hasn't said anything since the transfer announcement, but who would need to visit SLU and Pitt first) or Jolly - the two we haven't seen confirmation of offering.

I suspect the Agbeko paperwork is just sitting on Biondi's desk. ;)

I hope Strawberry and Jolly are just preferred walk-on candidates.

Haven't heard much about Yacoubou after initially expressing interest.

Djambo is the key. If we land him, I think we are in good shape for next year. Whoever we land with the final scholarship is likely more of a long-term prospect as opposed to somebody who can make an impact next year.

have we officially offered Yacoubou? i didn't think we had

Sure, 15-20 miles away. They are working on your monument outside of the Marquette so people believe you were once an urbanite; in a year or two, as you further cement your complete transition from roads to trails, no one will believe it. For the sake of humanity, we asked them to remove the short running shorts and tank top from initial design.

Sure, 15-20 miles away. They are working on your monument outside of the Marquette so people believe you were once an urbanite; in a year or two, as you further cement your complete transition from roads to trails, no one will believe it. For the sake of humanity, we asked them to remove the short running shorts and tank top from initial design.

Sorry, miinutes. It is peaceful running out there, no smog, bums, trash or crazy drivers texting (Box and Won) to avoid. You should try it. As for the statue, please make sure it has a beer and heater!

No. Like I said, I can't find any confirmation of offers to him or Jolly, even though Jolly visited.

got it. does that happen often that a recruit/transfer would sign without a known offer out from the school? obviously there could be an instant agreement on signing day but that seems unlikely to me. I would think SLU would want it to be public knowledge if they were actively pursuing a bigger name transfer

got it. does that happen often that a recruit/transfer would sign without a known offer out from the school? obviously there could be an instant agreement on signing day but that seems unlikely to me. I would think SLU would want it to be public knowledge if they were actively pursuing a bigger name transfer

It's not impossible. For instance, SLU could have offered Jolly on his visit this past weekend and that information not have leaked in the past three days, and then he would be able to sign today. Not out of the question at all.

In fact, because Crews said he was confident we'd have two this week and process of elimination seems to leave us with just a name or two on a short list, I wonder if there isn't a left-field name we haven't discussed here yet. That possibility just hit me earlier this morning when I was going through the list.

As for whether the school would want every name to be public or not, it's doubtful. This information gets out there; if it were up to the staff, they'd keep things as vague and as quiet as possible. If they're in early on a player they really like, they don't want to tip off other schools. It's just impossible in this internet age to recruit that way anymore, though.

I don't think you offer a D1 transfer the same way you offer others. I don't think D1 transfers sign a letter of intent

I'm not sure what the paperwork is like compared to a regular HS recruit. There has to be an offer and an acceptance at some point, though. The timeline would roughly look like:

1. Player notifies school of his intent to transfer.

2. School grants official release.

3. Player may be contacted by interested schools. The player may contact other schools on his own at any point.

4. Schools make offer to player before, during, or after player's visit to school.

5. Player verbally commits.

6. Player signs.

That's always been my impression. Basically, after step 3, it seems like it'd be the same. Isn't the letter of intent what leads to the athletic scholarship? Are you saying there's another device for transfers, or they're exempt from an LOI? I've never known that to be the case, but I may be wrong.

I'm not sure what the paperwork is like compared to a regular HS recruit. There has to be an offer and an acceptance at some point, though. The timeline would roughly look like:

1. Player notifies school of his intent to transfer.

2. School grants official release.

3. Player may be contacted by interested schools. The player may contact other schools on his own at any point.

4. Schools make offer to player before, during, or after player's visit to school.

5. Player verbally commits.

6. Player signs.

That's always been my impression. Basically, after step 3, it seems like it'd be the same. Isn't the letter of intent what leads to the athletic scholarship? Are you saying there's another device for transfers, or they're exempt from an LOI? I've never known that to be the case, but I may be wrong.

I always thought that transfers did the financial aid agreement much like late commits. I could be wrong.