Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't say he played great d, but the kid stated he likes to play D. Seems like you're bashing the kid's ability because he's taking his time making a decision. He's doing the smart thing and it's not too different than what many of us do when we look for our next job.

The kid looks like a good talent, has good size and said he likes to play D. On paper and video, he looks like a good get for SLU. There's no guarantee with any recruit. And what does it matter who has offered him? Glad we didn't follow that strategy with Conklin.

Regarding Conklin, that was a much different situation. We got a commitment from him early fall or maybe even late summer of the senior year of his high school season. Much different from the Randy situation. We are now very late in the spring period AFTER he played his HS senior season and the best other offers he apparently has Miami (OH) and reportedly LSU. After a big high school senior season, it was believed that Conklin would have had more quality offers if he had waited until the spring. Also, I think our program is in a stronger place than when Conklin committed to us. I'm just not going to get that worried about whether or not Randy comes here. It has been over a month since his visit. He doesn't really strike me as a guy thrilled about possibly coming to SLU. Contrast that to Reggie and Tanner, who I think it is fair to say are higher rated recruits... and those guys loved their visit and committed soon after. I think we should be willing to wait for a high level recruit, I'm just not convinved Randy is THAT guy we need to be waiting on pins and needles for. I'm encouraged that this staff continues to generate some good leads, even though we lost out on Remy.

Regarding Conklin, that was a much different situation. We got a commitment from him early fall or maybe even late summer of the senior year of his high school season. Much different from the Randy situation. We are now very late in the spring period AFTER he played his HS senior season and the best other offers he apparently has Miami (OH) and reportedly LSU. After a big high school senior season, it was believed that Conklin would have had more quality offers if he had waited until the spring. Also, I think our program is in a stronger place than when Conklin committed to us. I'm just not going to get that worried about whether or not Randy comes here. It has been over a month since his visit. He doesn't really strike me as a guy thrilled about possibly coming to SLU. Contrast that to Reggie and Tanner, who I think it is fair to say are higher rated recruits... and those guys loved their visit and committed soon after. I think we should be willing to wait for a high level recruit, I'm just not convinved Randy is THAT guy we need to be waiting on pins and needles for. I'm encouraged that this staff continues to generate some good leads, even though we lost out on Remy.

I'm not exactly on pins and needles, but I don't feel the need to be negative about an 18 year old kid just because he is taking his time (and perhaps already said "no" to SLU through his inaction).

I agree that the coaching staff is going about things the right way in terms of continuing to recruit and looking at other options.

No. He just loves Xavier more.

I do not think God loves Xavier any more than He loves SLU. I think the difference was in how Remy perceived how he would fit in Xavier vs SLU. There was a better fit for him there, the fit at SLU was somehow less. It may have been any number of things and we will never know the reason, but certainly he felt Xavier was a better fit for him. I agree the coaching staff is doing a great job and should be fully supported.

I do not think God loves Xavier any more than He loves SLU. I think the difference was in how Remy perceived how he would fit in Xavier vs SLU. There was a better fit for him there, the fit at SLU was somehow less. It may have been any number of things and we will never know the reason, but certainly he felt Xavier was a better fit for him. I agree the coaching staff is doing a great job and should be fully supported.

Sorry, but this was god's doing, not Remy's. Remy tweeted as much.

Now that God told Abell to go to Xavier and Saintil decided to go to prep school, here's our ever-shortening list:

Paul Jesperson, SG: 6-6, 197, Virginia. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interest from SLU, Northern Iowa, USC, Nebraska, and Florida. Latest (5/13): Jesperson tweeted UNI, St. Louis, USC... 3 great visits, couple more left tho" on the 11th. Previous: I'd think Nebraska is definitely one of the last couple visits, and Florida may be the other. At SLU, Manning (Virginia native) and Barnett (Wisconsin native) were his hosts. Pappy's was part of the itinerary.

Randy Onwuasor, PG: 6-3, 190, Inglewood HS, Inglewood, CA. Top Choices: SLU, Miami-Ohio, LSU, and Pitt. Other offers: UC-Irvine and Cal State-Fullerton. Interest from Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Seton Hall, Florida State, Arkansas, UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico State, and Utah. Latest (5/17): Onwuasor has picked up an offer from LSU and has already visited there. Previous: Onwuasor has visited SLU and Miami-Ohio. SLU and Miami have both made in-home visits. He said to Ben Weixlmann that his final three choices are SLU, Miami, and Pitt. He will be playing in the Nike Global Challenge in DC in July. He has been retweeting SLU fans a lot, but the last two are about Tennessee and Tennessee Tech, both of whom are suddenly in the mix. A TTU assistant apparently visited, and he now says he plans to visit Knoxville soon. No word on offers from either. What looked like a SLU-Miami race has now opened back up.

Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others (UNCW likely). Claims interest from Arizona, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, California, and Florida State. Latest (5/16): Darryl Strawberry told Frank Cusamano that SLU "looked at" Jordan but that he's considering prep school in Connecticut. Previous: Visit to SLU (and dad) went very well. Since then, UNC-Wilmington has gotten in the mix and has one scholarship left to give after Addison Spruill, a shooting guard from Brevard CC, committed yesterday, 4/30. No confirmation on an offer from UNCW but it seems likely they've made one. He seems to be SLU's backup plan to Randy Onwuasor, but SLU seems like his best opportunity. This list came out on 5/1 and Strawberry's name and picture is in it. Interestingly, Onwuasor and Lancona are not mentioned. He also told a buddy on Twitter that his visit "out there" went well and he's trying to make his decision.

Achraf Yacoubou, SG: 6-4, 210, Villanova. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU, Pitt, and Georgia Tech. Latest (5/16): He was supposed to visit Pitt on 5/14 but I haven't seen anything confirming that he actually visited. I have confirmed that he was in the Bronx (his hometown) on 5/15. Previous: Two Tweets from sportswriters on Friday, 5/3 said that Yacoubou visited SLU and will be visiting Pitt and Georgia Tech next. UNLV and Miami are out of contention. According to pantherlair.com writer Matthew Steinbrink, Pitt is focused on Yacoubou, Sheldon Jeter (if he decides to transfer), and DeAndre Kane. Kane made it official, so Pitt has one scholarship left to give.

Ef X. Mack's not a coach he's a recruiter. The next Brian Gregory. So good luck, Remy. RO is tiresome. He's looking to land at a big name/BCS school. If he disappoints, he'll transfer back to the Left Coast. I think out of all of them, I'd prefer the Nova kid. But of course we'll be going up against Gregory. Who out recruits and disappoints more?

Now that God told Abell to go to Xavier and Saintil decided to go to prep school, here's our ever-shortening list:

Paul Jesperson, SG: 6-6, 197, Virginia. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interest from SLU, Northern Iowa, USC, Nebraska, and Florida. Latest (5/13): Jesperson tweeted UNI, St. Louis, USC... 3 great visits, couple more left tho" on the 11th. Previous: I'd think Nebraska is definitely one of the last couple visits, and Florida may be the other. At SLU, Manning (Virginia native) and Barnett (Wisconsin native) were his hosts. Pappy's was part of the itinerary.

Randy Onwuasor, PG: 6-3, 190, Inglewood HS, Inglewood, CA. Top Choices: SLU, Miami-Ohio, LSU, and Pitt. Other offers: UC-Irvine and Cal State-Fullerton. Interest from Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Seton Hall, Florida State, Arkansas, UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico State, and Utah. Latest (5/17): Onwuasor has picked up an offer from LSU and has already visited there. Previous: Onwuasor has visited SLU and Miami-Ohio. SLU and Miami have both made in-home visits. He said to Ben Weixlmann that his final three choices are SLU, Miami, and Pitt. He will be playing in the Nike Global Challenge in DC in July. He has been retweeting SLU fans a lot, but the last two are about Tennessee and Tennessee Tech, both of whom are suddenly in the mix. A TTU assistant apparently visited, and he now says he plans to visit Knoxville soon. No word on offers from either. What looked like a SLU-Miami race has now opened back up.

Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others (UNCW likely). Claims interest from Arizona, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, California, and Florida State. Latest (5/16): Darryl Strawberry told Frank Cusamano that SLU "looked at" Jordan but that he's considering prep school in Connecticut. Previous: Visit to SLU (and dad) went very well. Since then, UNC-Wilmington has gotten in the mix and has one scholarship left to give after Addison Spruill, a shooting guard from Brevard CC, committed yesterday, 4/30. No confirmation on an offer from UNCW but it seems likely they've made one. He seems to be SLU's backup plan to Randy Onwuasor, but SLU seems like his best opportunity. This list came out on 5/1 and Strawberry's name and picture is in it. Interestingly, Onwuasor and Lancona are not mentioned. He also told a buddy on Twitter that his visit "out there" went well and he's trying to make his decision.

Achraf Yacoubou, SG: 6-4, 210, Villanova. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU, Pitt, and Georgia Tech. Latest (5/16): He was supposed to visit Pitt on 5/14 but I haven't seen anything confirming that he actually visited. I have confirmed that he was in the Bronx (his hometown) on 5/15. Previous: Two Tweets from sportswriters on Friday, 5/3 said that Yacoubou visited SLU and will be visiting Pitt and Georgia Tech next. UNLV and Miami are out of contention. According to pantherlair.com writer Matthew Steinbrink, Pitt is focused on Yacoubou, Sheldon Jeter (if he decides to transfer), and DeAndre Kane. Kane made it official, so Pitt has one scholarship left to give.

Pistol, you can add JaQuail Townser to your list. He was a freshman at SWIC has visited campus a few times in the past month. Another big guard