Butler Observations from the couch in Maryland

Taj79

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billikenfan05" data-cid="346174" data-time="1361726513"><p>

ereeves is dead wrong, we were fuoking loud. </p></blockquote>

Loud enough for the team to point to us after the game. It would have been nice if the SLU groups could have all been together so the chants could have been coordinated, but I still think we were impressive. I was in a group midway between the students and the corral and oftentimes the chants were a couple seconds off, but both groups were loud enough to make the scattered butler fans in our section look uncomfortable.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billikenfan05" data-cid="346174" data-time="1361726513"><p>

ereeves is dead wrong, we were fuoking loud. </p></blockquote>

Loud enough for the team to point to us after the game. It would have been nice if the SLU groups could have all been together so the chants could have been coordinated, but I still think we were impressive. I was in a group midway between the students and the corral and oftentimes the chants were a couple seconds off, but both groups were loud enough to make the scattered butler fans in our section look uncomfortable.

+100

I was in the john before the game and 2 Butler athletic dept guys were talking about how there would be about 100 SLU fans there. When I informed them it would be more than 500 their jaws dropped.

I was in the row behind the students. They were awesome and there were no SLU fans sitting by me. You couldn't if you wanted to watch the game. I was told by a couple Butler fans that they'd never seen an opposing teams fans come into Hinkle and take over like we did.

The ESPN announcer referenced the SLU fans at Hinkle a couple times and I could hear them at various points throughout the game. Our team winning a big road game with a lot of our fans in the house... we really had the look and feel of a big-time team, which I guess we are now! :D

Butler is an extremely classy team and fan base. We had multiple conversations throughout the night with fans of Butler that continually complimented the Bills and our clasiness.

The students were loud all game and great until after the game as Butler fans were exiting and students were chanting "This is our house". Very obnoxious and unnecessary. Other than that keep doing what you're doing.

Butler is an extremely classy team and fan base. We had multiple conversations throughout the night with fans of Butler that continually complimented the Bills and our clasiness.

The students were loud all game and great until after the game as Butler fans were exiting and students were chanting "This is our house". Very obnoxious and unnecessary. Other than that keep doing what you're doing.

I heard that same thing from Butler fans - SLU fans were classy and very loud.

Did anyone watching the SLU-Butler understand the ESPNU announcers? It seemed liked they just mumbled through the game. I attributed to loud arena but after re-watching it from my DVR later it seemed like it was something technical that was malfunctioning.

This morning I watched the re-run of the VCU/X game (didn't see it the first time) on CBS Sports Net and Wolfe and his partner were very clear.

I agree. It seemed like the crowd was the same volume as the announcers. It was really difficult to distinguish their voices at times. I do think that could habe been corrected by ESPN. I don't know all the technical ins and outs, but, like you said, but other games don't seem to have that problem.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="gister" data-cid="346326" data-time="1361810109"><p>

I agree. It seemed like the crowd was the same volume as the announcers. It was really difficult to distinguish their voices at times. I do think that could habe been corrected by ESPN. I don't know all the technical ins and outs, but, like you said, but other games don't seem to have that problem.</p></blockquote>

I noticed the same thing. Has to be a technical screw up.

Also, I definitely heard our fans over the broadcasters. I was surprised by how loud they were. Great job - it may have been just what helped to sustain the emotion when our players made their run in the second half!

I was at the game near the top of Section 22. This was below the students and other fans, but there were more SLU fans below my group. My recollection was that we were louder than any opponent's section that I recall ever coming to SLU homegame. This includes the Missouri State games that the athletic department used to intentionally schedule over the holidays so that Missouri State fans would be in town and buy tickets (I sent an angry email over that one, and we haven't scheduled it that was since, althought I'm not claiming credit).

I know that folks don't always pay attention to the timeout entertainment, but the guy with the microphone conducting the festivities twice pleaded for the Butler fans to be louder to drown us out. He wouldn't have done that had he not heard us or thought that we were being loud. You're never going to get everyone in face paint and screaming at the top of their lungs. Some folks are just not that way (I am, but that's me), but are still perfectly good, loyal Billiken fans. Let's just be proud of the fact that we had a big loud crowd at the road arena of the #15 team in the country. Where and when does that ever happen? Let's also give props to the staff at SLU and the alumni association for creating such a great situation like this.

My experience at Butler can be summerized by a few "oh $hit" moments:

Check-in @ Hyatt downtown. 3 people at the desk were very welcoming yet vocal that they hope we lose, oh $hit basketball is huge here

Drive down to Hinkle with plenty of time to spare, end up at Red Key Tavern. Butler fans everywhere, bar staff very vocal about how they hope we lose. Get terrible service, oh $hit

Get inside Hinkle, seated in sec 14 row A. Fans very vocal about how those are not my seats, they are "Dr. Stevensons". I calmley explain that Doc decieded this wasnt a big game 5 months ago and sold them on stubhub. oh $hit

Butler opens game with dunks, crowd is freaking NUTS. oh $hit

Flash forward to DE tip-in to put us up and essentially ice the game. oh $hit

Take the party over to Average Joes, request the DJ play a few Nelly songs. oh $hit. what a day

I've been to world series games, playoff hockey games, participaed in high school sporting events that seemed like the most important game in the history of sports...... winning inside a sold-out Hinkle with 9,700 people leaving pissed off tops them all

Check-in @ Hyatt downtown. 3 people at the desk were very welcoming yet vocal that they hope we lose, oh $hit basketball is huge here

Drive down to Hinkle with plenty of time to spare, end up at Red Key Tavern. Butler fans everywhere, bar staff very vocal about how they hope we lose. Get terrible service, oh $hit

Get inside Hinkle, seated in sec 14 row A. Fans very vocal about how those are not my seats, they are "Dr. Stevensons". I calmley explain that Doc decieded this wasnt a big game 5 months ago and sold them on stubhub. oh $hit

Take the party over to Average Joes, request the DJ play a few Nelly songs. oh $hit. what a day

I've been to world series games, playoff hockey games, participaed in high school sporting events that seemed like the most important game in the history of sports...... winning inside a sold-out Hinkle with 9,700 people leaving pissed off tops them all

+1000

You should have gone to Average Joe's beforehand - we had that place filled!

You should have gone to Average Joe's beforehand - we had that place filled!

Im no stranger to the Bills pregame parties. The best is when we have the cheerleaders and band all up in a bar. I would compare our turnout last year in Columbus to inviting the nerds to the party. We dont get to go often, but when we do we will wear our Sunday best