I've seen enough....

BIG BILL FAN

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people I've talked to think he can't recruit very well. I don't know enough about it to say whether that's true. But gee, he really has earned serious consideration for the job IMHO.

the only thing i can think of, and not to be sentimental about it either, but who would rick want coaching next year? honestly, who do the current players want coaching next year? crews is gonna need some help, but once he showed he was invested, man this team took off.

We have no clue if Crews wants the job after this season is over. He is an intelligent coach, with a great head of hair and he is doing an unbelievable job with these Bills, after agreeing to take the head coaching position in a rare situation. We know Crews can coach, we know he has a great head of hair, we know SLU needs a head coach after this season, we don't know if Crews can recruit to St. Louis, we don't know if he wants to be head coach after this season......is he a good fit, does he want the position, does SLU have something else up their sleeve? My guess is we find out the answers sometime. Huge road win tonight. 18-2 over last 20, 4-1 against Top 25 teams, 10-2 in A10......I'll take it. 1st Place

I am not sold on this. While he has done a very good job (he certainly was a different coach last night then the one I saw behind at Temple) I just don't know. He has guided a veteran team able to carry on a HOFers' legend and legendary style. But we have one recruit in the hopper for next year, the man didn't do much at his other posts, and is he even interested? Again, this hire is key and has the entire future hanging on it. I'm glad it's not my call.

It's Crews job if he wants it, which he probably does.

He can't be blamed for poor recruiting yet, since he is only the interim coach. Few recruits are going to make a school decision when they don't know who their coach will be.

If he gets Coach of the Year, that should help with spring recruiting.

Ou

He's done a great job with the team...with RM's recruits. It's all about recruiting here.

The legend of Jim Crews is even impacting the NBA. Golden State broke out the short sleeve unis last night.

It's not just about recruiting, it's also about coaching. You don't have to look any further than a 120 miles to our west, to see what happens when you have someone who can recruit but can't coach. Crews had a very nice run at Evansville, no one is going to win at Army. I would also want to think he has gained a lot of valuable experience and could put that to use.

Earlier this week, Frank C had some college basketball "expert" (i forget who) on and asked him if hiring Crews was a good idea. As well as he has been doing, would it be bad for the program to have a coach who wasn't as well known as a recruiter? The answer was that SLU could certainly bring in an elite recruiter as an assistant coach to Crews and do just fine.

I wonder if that is the route that May/Dr C ultimately take.

I think it would be a terrible idea to hire Crews. Crews didn't even want to coach not that long ago and Rick had to basically beg him to come to SLU. Crews is also old and seriously doubt he will be able to bring in any recruits. Would he coach longer then 2 or 3 years? Our team is senior and junior heavy with no impact freshman or sophomore players. We need an up and coming coach who can ride the hot streak for next year and bring in some players before we lose all our program's momentum. The head coach hire is going to be the most important decision our program may have ever faced. If we follow Rick with a hire like Soderberg after Romar we could return to mediocre that this program knows so well.

I think it would be a terrible idea to hire Crews. Crews didn't even want to coach not that long ago and Rick had to basically beg him to come to SLU. Crews is also old and seriously doubt he will be able to bring in any recruits. Would he coach longer then 2 or 3 years? Our team is senior and junior heavy with no impact freshman or sophomore players. We need an up and coming coach who can ride the hot streak for next year and bring in some players before we lose all our program's momentum. The head coach hire is going to be the most important decision our program may have ever faced. If we follow Rick with a hire like Soderberg after Romar we could return to mediocre that this program knows so well.

This sentiment that Crews didn't want to coach is baffling. The guy was in retirement and Majerus asked him to come back. He came back which means he wanted to coach. He's a grown man and unless Majerus had some incriminating pics of him he chose to coach.

He hasn't publicly campaigned for the SLU job. Which is maybe what some of you want. I think it is refreshing that he hasn't publicly campaigned for the job. He is allowing for this team to be a tribute to Majerus. Maybe he feels that is best in this situation for the players, for the media attention for the program. I don't know but I know that it is working. What he is doing is working we are having the best season since 1957.

It is obvious Jim Crews can coach and motivate a good team. So how do we explain his win loss history at Evansville? Why did he have such success with Evansville in the MCC from 1985-1993, with an overall record of 169-98 and conference finishes of 6th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 5th, 1st and 2nd, but then end up so uninspiring with Evansville in the Missouri Valley from 1994-2001 with a 125-111 record and finishes of 5th, 5th, 4th, 6th, 1st, 6th, 6th, 9th? In the first 9 seasons he had 3 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances. In the last 8 years he had 1 NCAA appearance.

The numbers don’t explain why the second half of his Evansville history is so lethargic. It could be an inability to recruit. A successful coach has to be able to do a lot of things well to succeed. There may be another explanation, but the track record at Evansville is concerning. I would hate to end up with a middle of the road team that failed to leverage its success with good recruiting. History likes to repeat itself and that Evansville history bothers me.

It is obvious Jim Crews can coach and motivate a good team. So how do we explain his win loss history at Evansville? Why did he have such success with Evansville in the MCC from 1985-1993, with an overall record of 169-98 and conference finishes of 6th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 5th, 1st and 2nd, but then end up so uninspiring with Evansville in the Missouri Valley from 1994-2001 with a 125-111 record and finishes of 5th, 5th, 4th, 6th, 1st, 6th, 6th, 9th? In the first 9 seasons he had 3 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances. In the last 8 years he had 1 NCAA appearance.

The numbers don’t explain why the second half of his Evansville history is so lethargic. It could be an inability to recruit. A successful coach has to be able to do a lot of things well to succeed. There may be another explanation, but the track record at Evansville is concerning. I would hate to end up with a middle of the road team that failed to leverage its success with good recruiting. History likes to repeat itself and that Evansville history bothers me.

From what I read over on Evansville's board, it sounds like Crews was not given much support by Evansville's AD and president in terms of recruiting budget and other resources.

As I recall, the original story was that Majerus was in a bind because his top assistant unexpectedly left. RM convinced Crews to come out of retirement. but Crews only agreed to the job for one year.

That is correct. What that means for what Crews wants today, who knows?

Listen to what Crews said at last night's press conference. He doesn't get that you need to be selling the program at all times. He basically said he doesn't care if anyone takes notice of how good we are. That is true to an extent (I like the us against the world mentality too), but if you're committed to building the program long-term you need to be constantly selling it. Maybe the incentives aren't yet in place for him to do it, but most of the great coaches today recognize this fact and I'm a little skeptical about this ability or willingness to do it.

I remember some one saying that Crews likes StL - his wife and he have had a great time with city living and enjoying the atmosphere. He agreed to stay on this year as an AC with RM because of this. This same person said that when Crews took the responsibility when RM took a leave he agreed to do it for his old friend - same reason as why he came when Jensen left abruptly and that all he wanted from SLU was to stay on in the program in some capacity maybe even in the athletic dept or maybe as DOB. I have no idea if this is true but honestly that made sense at the time it was posted and frankly it may end up being the best end result for both parties. For guy who has said he does not like recruiting and came with the provision that he would not have to recruit that first year is somewhat telling. We had a great game coach who was some what lazy in the recruiting end - Spoon - how did that work out long term for us?

He's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can coach. He hasn't proven that he can recruit, build and essentially be the chief ambassador of the program and the university, which is what a coach needs to be. Basically the only real continuity is the coach. When you think of Louisville, the first image you have is Pitino (dirtbag).

Can Crews be that guy, like Pitino? (aside from banging some skank on a table in a buddies' restaurant while that buddy "watches the door") I don't know. I do know that just about everyone asks me about SLU all the time lately because we are being noticed, then that is followed up with "who the hell is your coach? Didn't Majerus die?"

Unfortunately, age plays into it I think. If Crews was Brad Stevens, he'd be the young up and comer, coaching prodigy. Instead, he's a journeyman doing a great job with a team in tough circumstances and is a legitimate coach of the year candidate. And if he wins that, the university is kind of in a bind...you can't fire him after that can you?