Another nice article from Strauss

brianstl

I will also confirm from discussions with some players what has been reported: the ones I've talked to all like playing for Crews and are believers. I think his Coach Knight link is also pretty impressive for them...

And honestly, with or without Coach Majerus, they are playing about as well as I remember in 15 years right now at least.

btw how has Army been doing lately? the Army website is raving due to the fact that Coach Spiker (before an assistant at Cornell) was able to win 37 games in his first 3 years. the bar is set pretty low out there.... and why?

I'm no expert, but it is plausible to claim that recruiting Div. I basketball talent to West Point might be a bit of a problem...

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread -- IF we put together a serious run, why do you fire the guy?? because he did not do well at Army? ? ?

Army is one of the hardest places to recruit in college sports, if not THE hardest, for a number of reasons:

-They don't make any admissions exceptions for recruits; no stretching whatsoever. So while you have a campus full of in-shape super smart people, not many of them are the highest-level high school athletes, especially in sports like football and basketball. Basically the only comparisons for admission are the Ivies, Stanford, Northwestern, and a couple others; and those don't require letters from congressmen/senators, physical tests, and so forth.

-There aren't many, if any, 4- and 5-star recruits in those sports willing to go through the process it takes just to get into West Point, let alone the lifestyle there compared to the other places they can go. The West Point lifestyle is a hard sell if a guy has the option to live it up at another school.

-There's a mandatory service requirement (4 years, I think?) upon graduation. They did recently make an exception for a football player who had a chance to be drafted in the NFL, though.

There's a good conversation about this on a podcast I listen to, Slate's Hang Up and Listen, with author Joe Drape. His focus is on football mostly, and specifically the Army-Navy game and how it has become so lopsided recently, but it applies to recruiting at Army in general: http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hang_up_and_listen/2012/12/johnny_manziel_heisman_trophy_hang_up_and_listen_on_texas_a_m_s_freshman.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SlateHangUpAndListen+%28Slate%27s+Hang+Up+and+Listen%29&utm_content=FeedBurner

And his book: http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-First-Country-Football-ebook/dp/B007NJPG5A

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what was said at the time and used as justification for the hire......Remember Unca-Sodaberg?

A little. I wasn't really reading the board back around the time of his hire. Gradually started reading it more as college went on and didn't start posting until 2006.

I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

A little. I wasn't really reading the board back around the time of his hire. Gradually started reading it more as college went on and didn't start posting until 2006.

I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

The players obviously really like Soderberg when he was the assistant and Chris Sloan and others campaigning for him was largely regarded as a reason he was given the head coaching job. This is reason enough for me to put little stock in the opinions of 18-21 year old kids. I doubt those same players and the players that played for him when he was the head coach would have glowing things to say about him.

I doubt those same players and the players that played for him when he was the head coach would have glowing things to say about him.

just curious, why do you say that?

The players obviously really like Soderberg when he was the assistant and Chris Sloan and others campaigning for him was largely regarded as a reason he was given the head coaching job. This is reason enough for me to put little stock in the opinions of 18-21 year old kids. I doubt those same players and the players that played for him when he was the head coach would have glowing things to say about him.

+1

I, too, can confirm that the guys enjoy playing for Crews. He has mellowed out since I knew him at Evansville. I think it is a function of the grandkids and having some time off. He is a great guy - he also relates to the kids better than RM did. The kids respected RM because of his résumé and knowledge but he wasn't able to relate as well. Crews brings a different element and skill set and makes gelling a little easier which helps with team chemistry.

I, too, can confirm that the guys enjoy playing for Crews. He has mellowed out since I knew him at Evansville. I think it is a function of the grandkids and having some time off. He is a great guy - he also relates to the kids better than RM did. The kids respected RM because of his résumé and knowledge but he wasn't able to relate as well. Crews brings a different element and skill set and makes gelling a little easier which helps with team chemistry.

Do you see him recruiting well? I have no idea but it scares the crap out of me to take a chance on him for the longer term.......

Do you see him recruiting well? I have no idea but it scares the crap out of me to take a chance on him for the longer term.......

I have personally not come to a conclusion on this issue but I will say that the players like him and he is much easier to live with than RM, both in terms of the players and in terms of the AD. He is pretty mellow and very into this team. The recent results have been the result of great game plans and in game adjustments with fantastic defense for the most part. I am not opposed to hiring him for the next 5 years if the team finishes the season strong and he can get some high profile players to keep an interest in the Bills. The key, of course, is the ability to close which escaped Soderberg for the most part and really escaped Romar except for a couple of players. I know we have had a number of very good players show an interest to date and we do not have a permanent coach. They seem to like our players and our staff but can we close on them. I am not sure anyone knows.

I have personally not come to a conclusion on this issue but I will say that the players like him and he is much easier to live with than RM, both in terms of the players and in terms of the AD. He is pretty mellow and very into this team. The recent results have been the result of great game plans and in game adjustments with fantastic defense for the most part. I am not opposed to hiring him for the next 5 years if the team finishes the season strong and he can get some high profile players to keep an interest in the Bills. The key, of course, is the ability to close which escaped Soderberg for the most part and really escaped Romar except for a couple of players. I know we have had a number of very good players show an interest to date and we do not have a permanent coach. They seem to like our players and our staff but can we close on them. I am not sure anyone knows.

Good post Billikan. What are you hearing on the C-7 front?

Great insight, thanks Billikan.

Recruiting is the million dollar question and as Billikan says, does anyone really know how that would go? I'd lean towards recruiting taking a downturn under Crews, but what the hell do i know.

just curious, why do you say that?

Roy, I would rather have that discussion with you than on that board.

This is just my opinion, but I will say Soderberg was a good man and really quality assistant coach, but I felt like he was unable to handle the pressures of being the head coach and leader of a program.

Recruiting is the million dollar question and as Billikan says, does anyone really know how that would go? I'd lean towards recruiting taking a downturn under Crews, but what the hell do i know.

I agree.

I recall some posters mentioning that Rick had to convince Crews to take the job in the first place. Is it understood that Crews does in fact want the job over the next 3-5 seasons? If he gets the job I think we need to step up as a program and give him the funds necessary to sign some top flight assistants that can recruit.

roy, in other threads, you have implored others to stop talking about Soderberg. Why do you feel compelled to do it now? As you've said, it's ancient history.

i'm not the one talking about it or bringing it up. i just asked his opinion. now after he makes his comment if i engage in a debate, you can write your little stab at me acie.

Agreed, recruiting is the million dollar question. There is no doubt in my mind that recruiting would suffer with Crews compared to Majerus, but that isn't really the question. The question is could Crews recruit well enough, and coach well enough, to be the best possible coach for the future of this program? Its not about comparing him to Majerus, its about comparing him to the other best available options.

p.s. You have to admit its funny how winning changes the description by many of Crews as a sideline coach that is disinterested and just stands there to that of a mellow coach that is in control of his emotions. Winning changes everything.

The ability to close is the big question. You can hire asst to do the leg work, but the head guy has to close the deal. If the team does well in the tournament. Crews ability to close will be enhanced.

I guess the big recruiting question I have about JC is if he has a similar eye for untapped talent that RM had. We don't have any 4 or 5 stars on the roster and may not get any no matter who the coach may or may not be. RM got the guys he could mold and bring the talent we see out of. Can JC do this and is he willing to do this? Give me 5 more JJ, MM, CE, KM, and DE every year and the program continues at a high level. If I remember correctly none of these guys made anyone jump for joy on signing day.

Agreed, recruiting is the million dollar question. There is no doubt in my mind that recruiting would suffer with Crews compared to Majerus, but that isn't really the question. The question is could Crews recruit well enough, and coach well enough, to be the best possible coach for the future of this program? Its not about comparing him to Majerus, its about comparing him to the other best available options.

I agree with this. Again, I'm not opposed to SLU's hiring Jim Crews as head coach if he's the best person for the job, but I want them to find out that he's the best candidate after a diligent, nationwide search process. Don't just give him the job without seeing who's out there. And it can't be a token process, but they must go into it with an open mind and a hunger to get a great coach for the program. Just because they may find a better candidate than Crews doesn't diminish what he'll have done this season, but don't mortgage the future on playing it safe.