A-10 power rankings

cliffbrunt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power rankings, at this stage of the season, based upon YTD record + how teams are currently playing:

1. VCU

2. SLU

3. LaSalle

4. Butler

4. Richmond

6. Dayton

6. Temple

8. St. Josephs

8. Xavier

... next 5, who cares?

if basing it on last week, it's hard not to like SLU.

Overall season = Butler still has to be on top. I expect a very different team on Feb. 22 at Hinkle.

For me, all the other "top teams," including VCU, are works in progress and I'm not clear about them because I have not seen them. Again, IF we play like last week, I find it hard to believe any of them might beat us, including VCU here at home. But I could be naive; and @ Richmond on Sat. should also be a good read on that. (obviously, we very well may NOT always play like last week...)

2 related notes: I'm beginning to think the league is not as intimidating this year as I thought it might be. Partly Dayton is to blame, I guess -- they were very clearly overmatched by us. Maybe it will turn out there are, truly, 4 elite teams only; or maybe a sleeper like St. Joe's or LaSalle will become elite?? But to me, I think unless one of the dark horses wins the tourney, A10 gets 3 at most in the Dance.

2nd: the IU vs. Michigan game, reveals a quite different level of talent and athletic skill. WOW! Butler still beat the Hoosiers, and there is still hope; but WOW! One thing it shows is how you take a bunch of really good players and add a truly special kid like Burke, or Zeller, and suddenly you have a juggernaut... Another thing it suggests is that, in the big picture, perhaps the A10 is just a bit overrated. Just my opinion, actually just wondering ...

if basing it on last week, it's hard not to like SLU.

Overall season = Butler still has to be on top. I expect a very different team on Feb. 22 at Hinkle.

For me, all the other "top teams," including VCU, are works in progress and I'm not clear about them because I have not seen them. Again, IF we play like last week, I find it hard to believe any of them might beat us, including VCU here at home. But I could be naive; and @ Richmond on Sat. should also be a good read on that. (obviously, we very well may NOT always play like last week...)

2 related notes: I'm beginning to think the league is not as intimidating this year as I thought it might be. Partly Dayton is to blame, I guess -- they were very clearly overmatched by us. Maybe it will turn out there are, truly, 4 elite teams only; or maybe a sleeper like St. Joe's or LaSalle will become elite?? But to me, I think unless one of the dark horses wins the tourney, A10 gets 3 at most in the Dance.

2nd: the IU vs. Michigan game, reveals a quite different level of talent and athletic skill. WOW! Butler still beat the Hoosiers, and there is still hope; but WOW! One thing it shows is how you take a bunch of really good players and add a truly special kid like Burke, or Zeller, and suddenly you have a juggernaut... Another thing it suggests is that, in the big picture, perhaps the A10 is just a bit overrated. Just my opinion, actually just wondering ...

How does watching Michigan play Indiana, a team Butler beat, suggest that the A10 is overrated?

I really believe that the Hinkle game isn't going to play too much differently. Some teams are just a bad match up for others (Temple for SLU) and we are that bad matchup for Butler.

I don't know, Two quick fouls on Dwight (jk,) Cody getting no love while flopping, Loe not shooting or playing defence, Jett getting irritable bowel syndrome........ If we can lose to RI at home, Richmond, Fordham, and Butler could take us away. Not likely but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.....

How does watching Michigan play Indiana, a team Butler beat, suggest that the A10 is overrated?

well... that game was on a different level, I guess. it gave me the impression that A10 is far below that league; and that IU and UM are going deep in the tourney. Sort of like the Kansas game -- just sheer athletic skill and so on, now that's hard to handle. I do not see much of that level of talent in the A10. Heck, IU has several highly touted freshmen who are not even getting minutes right now. They are just flush. That kind of match up is certainly unusual, I admit; but comparing it to what we usually see in our league, well... there's no comparison, right? It sounds like a lot of folks on here believe Butler is overrated; maybe SLU is underrated; but the rest of the conference??

Again, maybe I'm alone and this is heresy. I was just wondering if all the A10 hype about the strength of the league has a bit overrated. Maybe the league is not really that good right now?? if I'm alone on that, i will quietly go back to work . . . . .

Our league does not have any 'bangers' like you see with the big boys. I agree with Doctor B, the athleticism between the conferences is unmatched. I get worried about us making our lay ups on a break away. Michigan fans worry that they might break the backboard glass on a break away...

Now they certainly can be beaten (see Butler vs IU), but yes the A-10 is certainly not on the same sheer athletic level as a Michigan.

I don't know, Two quick fouls on Dwight (jk,) Cody getting no love while flopping, Loe not shooting or playing defence, Jett getting irritable bowel syndrome........ If we can lose to RI at home, Richmond, Fordham, and Butler could take us away. Not likely but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.....

Early on in the Butler game we got zero love from the refs (first 5 or so min). Also, butler went 12 possessions without scoring and we were only ahead by 2 after that period. We could have been up 30 in the first half.

Sure, we definitely can lose, but I'm leaning towards another dominant performance by SLU v. Butler.

Power rankings, at this stage of the season, based upon YTD record + how teams are currently playing:

1. VCU

2. SLU

3. LaSalle

4. Butler

4. Richmond

6. Dayton

6. Temple

8. St. Josephs

8. Xavier

... next 5, who cares?

after watching dayton's effort and attitude saturday, why in the world would you have them above temple, st joes and x? i would be tempted to put them in the who cares and bring charlotte to 8 otherwise i think your rankings are pretty good.

well... that game was on a different level, I guess. it gave me the impression that A10 is far below that league; and that IU and UM are going deep in the tourney. Sort of like the Kansas game -- just sheer athletic skill and so on, now that's hard to handle. I do not see much of that level of talent in the A10. Heck, IU has several highly touted freshmen who are not even getting minutes right now. They are just flush. That kind of match up is certainly unusual, I admit; but comparing it to what we usually see in our league, well... there's no comparison, right? It sounds like a lot of folks on here believe Butler is overrated; maybe SLU is underrated; but the rest of the conference??

Again, maybe I'm alone and this is heresy. I was just wondering if all the A10 hype about the strength of the league has a bit overrated. Maybe the league is not really that good right now?? if I'm alone on that, i will quietly go back to work . . . . .

I mostly agree.

To Butler, at that point, the Indiana game was their "game of the year". Sure, interstate rival, Big 10 bully, # 1 Indiana wanted to win, but they ran into a buzzsaw.

As to the Big 10, yes it is superior, a lot of future NBA beef, "bigs" galore, that is what counts when it is NCAA Tourney time. Playing that Big 10 schedule is brutal, you can lose to a lesser ranked team on the road when the competition is that tough, other than Penn State this year. everyone is a threat. Physically and mentally challenging to play a grueling season like that... toughens them up for the NCAA Tourney, too.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="moytoy12" data-cid="340477" data-time="1360082233"><p>

I really believe that the Hinkle game isn't going to play too much differently. Some teams are just a bad match up for others (Temple for SLU) and we are that bad matchup for Butler.</p></blockquote>

I agree with this. For them to beat us, smith needs to dominate loe (which he didn't even come close to) and Dunham needs to turn into Khalif Wyatt (seems unlikely). They have zero answer for Evans and our guards are noticably quicker than theirs. Bad matchup for them.

Yet teams that are "on a different" level like Indiana continue to lose to teams like Butler when the games are played on neutral courts, whether it be in Indianapolis or in the NCAA tourney. Hmmm.

I guess I draw a different conclusion. To me it is a reminder of the parity in college basketball. It gives me hope that when SLU is clicking on all cylanders, especially giving that great defensive effort, they can hang with most teams in the country. If Butler beat Indiana, why wouldn't SLU at least be capable of hanging with Indiana on neutral floor? Of course, I am not suggesting SLU is as good as Indiana and I remember that we are still the same team that lost to URI, but I don't think the gap between the top teams and the next level is as big as you suggest.

And while SLU is not as athletic as the elite teams, I don't really see us getting overwhelmed athletically very often. Just look at last season, we beat the crap out of several mediocre BCS schools - and dominated a very "athletic" Washington team featuring two NBA 1st round picks. Then look at the two tournament games - we beat an "athletic" Memphis team and certainly held our own against a physical Michigan State squad, a #1 seed from the mighty Big Ten. I didn't see many teams with three guards as quick and athletic as Mithcell, McCall and Jett. And while not an elite athlete, Evans can certainly hold his own against good athletes. And while we don't have great bigs, we don't usually get overwhelmed. They offer a mix of skill and strength to usually hold their own.

Outside of Michigan and Indiana, SLU would be very capable of beating anybody from the Big 10.

Yet teams that are "on a different" level like Indiana continue to lose to teams like Butler when the games are played on neutral courts, whether it be in Indianapolis or in the NCAA tourney. Hmmm.

I noticed that Indiana played no true non-conference road games. Three neutral site games: a win over Georgia, an overtime win over Georgetown and the loss to Butler.

after watching dayton's effort and attitude saturday, why in the world would you have them above temple, st joes and x? i would be tempted to put them in the who cares and bring charlotte to 8 otherwise i think your rankings are pretty good.

Yes we pounded Dayton. And Dayton is a bit shakey. But, hey we beat Butler by 17, that does not mean we are really 17 pts better than Butler.

But no big argument... they are all really close, and I have Datyon tied with Temple actually.

I think VCU & SLU are 4 pts or so better than LaSalle-Butler-Richmond, then Dayton & Temple are just a point or two below those three.

Again, power rankings, how teams "rate" today if they played each other. Especially, say 6-7-8-9-10 are debateable for sure. :D

Yes we pounded Dayton. Hey we beat Butler by 27, that does not mean we are really 27 pts better than Butler.

But no big argument... they are all really close, and I have Datyon tied with Temple actually.

I think VCU & SLU are 4 pts or so better than LaSalle-Butler-Richmond, then Dayton & Temple are just a point or two below those three.

Again, power rankings, how teams "rate" today if they played each other. Debateable for sure. :D

We didn't beat Butler by 27 points. We beat them by 17. Still a pounding, and I understand your point, but why am I not going to point this out? ;)

And what is your power ranking based on? We sure as hell know it isn't a ca-ca computer program, that's for sure!

We didn't beat Butler by 27 points. We beat them by 17. Still a pounding, and I understand your point, but why am I not going to point this out? ;)

And what is your power ranking based on? We sure as hell know it isn't a ca-ca computer program, that's for sure!

Yep, 17. Oooops.

I base mine mostly on the truest of all power rankings, the Vegas power rankings. Not Chris Goff. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeever heard of him.